Local bike shop runs Cash for Clunkers sales promo

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on August 11th, 2009 at 9:02 am

Joe Doebele - Stumpworks-3.jpg
Joe Doebele of Joe Bike
(Photo © J. Maus)

Since it doesn't look like the Obama Administration is coming out with a Clunkers for Bikes option to their Cash for Clunkers program any time soon, a local Portland bike shop owner has taken it upon himself to introduce his own version.

Joe Doebele, owner of Joe Bike, will take $50-$100 off the purchase of a new bike when customers bring in a repairable clunker. Joe says his mechanics get last word on whether or not the bike is "repairable". If it is, he will issue the rebate and then donate the old bike to a local non-profit (like the Community Cycling Center, Bike Farm, etc...).

The promotion will run through the end of August. Learn more at Joe-Bike.com.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • timtim August 11, 2009 at 9:29 am

Way to go Joe, that is a great thing to do for folks. Also thanks for keeping the old bikes from going into the scrap heap. I like hearing that my neighboring small business people are doing these things. Yeah Joe!

• Vance Longwell August 11, 2009 at 9:31 am

This is awesome! Tremendously risky, and very bold. Kudos. However, Joe Bike, and it's employees are the only domestic benefactors of their endeavor. While thousands of production workers, in another country, benefit 10fold.

Buy domestic!

• Steve Bozz August 11, 2009 at 10:15 am

I'll be sure to patronize Joe Bike in the near future. Way to go, Joe!

• jv August 11, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Joe's shop is great, this just adds to it! While I am not really in the market for a "new" bike, I commend his product line and if I were looking to add to my fleet I would definitely take him up on this. The hard part would be deciding what bike I could part with that is worth lesss than $100 to me...

• beth h August 11, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Brilliant idea!

• jacque August 12, 2009 at 7:56 pm

Just because the bike goes to the CCC doesn't mean it won't end up as scrap.
    Why not just put the bikes out for free?
    Why the need for the "middle man"?

• [...] bikeportland.org comes this post on a Portland bike shop that will give you cash for your clunker bike.  Joe Doebele, owner of Joe [...]