Stolen: Schwinn MTB - Recovered

Posted by Stolen Bike Listings on April 27th, 2006 at 1:45 pm

[Posted by "kurt_andorfer".]

1998 19" Bass boat blue Schwinn Homegrown stolen from PSU on Monday, April 24th. Red fork with a tomato sticker on each leg, XT shifters and rear der., XTR hubs, crank, front der., Chris King head, Avid v-brakes, SDG saddle, red grips. I dearly miss this bike, and I'm certain it misses me as well. kurta2003@yahoo.com.

Possibly related posts

Comments
  • Caroline April 28, 2006 at 4:16 pm

Oh no! I own almost exactly the same bike. I would dearly miss mine, too. If it helps possible identifiers, here's a picture of mine:

• MIKE April 29, 2006 at 3:44 pm

I was notified that this bike was seen out in front of the Red Light off Burnside on Saturday @ 4. When I went to recover it, about 15 minutes later, it had already been moved.

• Carl April 29, 2006 at 4:49 pm

Hi. Abovedescribed "Notifyer" here. I'm pretty sure the bike I saw was the one I described, and I've sent you an email with a full description. It's really a shame I didn't have a lock on me and didn't think to be more subtle about checking it out. I'm just posting to say that I've been approached before on this very street by folks trying to sell nice bikes for $50. If anyone's planning to party at the Fez tonight...or the Hotel Lloyd, bring a crisp $50 and/or a baseball bat and you might be able to get this guy's bike back. Something tells me that after today's disappearing act, the thief might be wanting to get it off his hands.

• Kurt_Arndorfer April 29, 2006 at 7:24 pm

Thanks for the attempt Mike. It was indeed my bike. I found a few pictures of the bike: http://www.flickr.com/photos/61338762@N00/ (I hope the link works). The seat and pedals were changed and I removed the bar ends, but otherwise this is my bike. Thanks again to everyone for keeping an eye out. And Caroline, nice bike :)

• Kurt_Arndorfer April 30, 2006 at 7:55 pm

My bike has been recovered! Carl's sharp eye spotted the bike, and after one failed attempt by Carl and Mike (from the Bike Gallery), Mike returned a few hours later and recovered it! Mike was off today (probably out saving lives and rescuing small kittens or something) so I didn't get the full story when I picked it up, but the bike is back where it belongs.

I still can't believe that Carl spotted it. I can't believe I got it back. Thank god for the cycling community in Portland. Thank you Carl.

• [...] On Saturday, Carl Larson noticed a nice Blue Schwinn Homegrown mountain bike in front of Red Light Clothing Exchange in downtown Portland. The bike looked very similar to a Stolen Bike Listing he had just read about. Carl didn’t have a lock with him, and he wasn’t near a computer to notify the victim, so he ran over to the downtown Bike Gallery and double-checked the listing online with Assistant Manager Mill Hilbrandt. When they realized it was indeed the stolen bike, Mike ran back to lock it up…but it was gone! Mike said: “This really bothered me, so a couple of hours later, when I got off work, I went back to see if it had returned. Sure enough, there was some 50+ year old man standing outside of the hotel across the street of The Red Light with it. I jumped out of the car and took it from him stating that “This bike is stolen.” He immediately grew very apologetic and congratulated me for recovering it. According to him, he bought it off of some young Hispanic man earlier that day for $17. Whatever. I took the bike, stored it at the shop, then went home and emailed Kurt (the victim) with the good news.” [...]

• Caroline May 2, 2006 at 4:06 pm

Congratulations Kurt!!! Again, Mike H. is the LBH - Local Bike Hero!