Comments

At BikePortland, we think your comments are just as important as our stories. This page lists all comments made on BikePortland.org, with recent comments at the top.

If you love great comments as much as we do, check out our Comment of the Week column. Please help us find more great ones by simply typing "comment of the week" in a comment.

Return to the Front Page.

1. Comment by Hello, Kitty January 26, 2021 @ 5:04 pm | Link

It’s funny that you don’t get to define what “defunding the police” is. When people talk about “defunding the police”, they mean to defund the police and fund more nuanced services that don’t have guns and are actually held accountable.

I'm not defining anything; I'm taking folks at their word.

But even if you redefine defund to mean "reallocate", the math doesn't work. The police budget can't begin to pay for the services we need, and as Jonathan pointed out when asked if he'd rather send a cop or social worker to the scene, he'd send both. That means you still need plenty of cops even when you have more social workers. That means more money. Lots more money if you want the backend services needed to really help folks. And lots and lots more money if you include what's needed for prevention on the front end.

I totally support building a new system; I think everyone, including the police, would support this (even if, down the road, it meant shrinking the police because our other services proved successful). Just be realistic about the time frame, complexity, and cost involved, and likelihood that the new system will have as many problems as the current one.

In response to Opinion: Vehicular violence hits home again. We cannot ignore it again. Array

2. Comment by Frank Selker January 26, 2021 @ 5:02 pm | Link

I respect and share concerns about police, but it's not like the police won't be able to buy bikes from someone nor would we be better off if they couldn't buy bikes. It's a police and police union issue, not a bike issue. Fuji has been in bankruptcy, by the way.

In response to Bike Gallery owner sells all six Portland stores to Trek Bicycle Corp Array

3. Comment by Michael Mann January 26, 2021 @ 5:00 pm | Link

I don't go into BG much. When I do, pretty much all I see is Trek and Bontrager so I assumed they were already a Trek Superstore. Given the ownership history since Jay Graves sold it, it certainly appears that despite his comments to the contrary, Mike Olson was intentionally positioning himself to sell the company to Trek.

I bought my first mountain bike, an 87 Trek 850, from Bike Gallery. And my Lemond Poprad in 2007. But after what Trek did to Greg Lemond and his Trek-sponsored brand when he wouldn't heed their request to shut up about accusing their golden boy Lance Armstrong of doping, I've been sour on Trek and Trek stores ever since. History vindicated Lemond, but I haven't heard that Trek ever apologized.

4. Comment by mran1984 January 26, 2021 @ 5:00 pm | Link

Good luck in the future. There is no safe space and nobody will protect you from other humans. Those social workers better start adding skills. Blood? Insane! Trek will not miss your business at all.

5. Comment by Frank Selker January 26, 2021 @ 4:57 pm | Link

Hats off to Olson - I think his team improved the shop significantly.

Hard to picture a mega-owner improving it, but I'll be hoping.

6. Comment by Phil M January 26, 2021 @ 4:55 pm | Link

The M1 powered Macs are proving to be pretty good performers too.

7. Comment by Phil M January 26, 2021 @ 4:54 pm | Link

I'm going to burn my old Trek carbon frame in protest. It's snowing a little after all.

8. Comment by GlowBoy January 26, 2021 @ 4:39 pm | Link

Multiple victims, including one dead and several sent to the hospital, but somehow I bet this won't count in the statistics various organizations compile on mass shootings. Because even though I was taught in Drivers Ed (boy, wouldn't it be neato if Oregon finally started requiring driver education like other states?) to treat a car as a deadly weapon, it isn't thought of as such by most people.

In response to Police say two of 10 victims in vehicular rampage were on bikes Array

9. Comment by X January 26, 2021 @ 4:35 pm | Link

Yes to all that.

A dude with a fish on his bumper offered to fight me.

In response to Intentional vehicular violence in southeast Portland leaves one dead, several injured Array

10. Comment by Betsy Reese January 26, 2021 @ 4:30 pm | Link

We active transportation safety advocates are often quick to move toward discussions, analysis, and opinions about what went wrong, who is to blame, and how this kind of thing can be prevented. That is important work. We also need to pause to honor the dead and offer comfort to their loved ones.

Additionally, when we honor and personalize the real people who died, and those they left behind, we honor ourselves for the advocacy work we do. When our work helps prevent a tragedy, we never know whose family and friends may have been spared this kind of grief. It could even be our own. We can think of Jean Gerich and her loved ones when we work to help improve bicycle and pedestrian safety.

Thank you for the brief description of Jean's life and the sweet photos. My heart goes out to all who knew and loved her.

11. Comment by marisheba January 26, 2021 @ 4:30 pm | Link

This feeds into stereotypes that people with mental health issues are potentially violent. Most mental health issues do not increase the risk of violent behavior at all (but do increase the risk of being a victim). Meanwhile, most mentally ill people still need to get to work, and unless and until we can create a transportation that in genuinely multimodal and allows people to conveniently access their work without a car, for most this will mean driving.

Also, no drivers license is required to go on a rampage like this one.

12. Comment by Pete January 26, 2021 @ 4:27 pm | Link

What exactly can be done to prevent a homicidal maniac wanting to kill people, beyond a deep re-evalutation of our socio-economic arrangement and societal values (something our elected officials aren't really in a position to do.)?

In response to PBOT Commissioner: "Portland witnessed a terrible tragedy" Array

13. Comment by GlowBoy January 26, 2021 @ 4:25 pm | Link

Too bad, but I agree probably not a big deal. I have loyalty to BG, as they did lots of work for me before I learned to do things myself. And when I built my first bike on my own (a Surly) I bought it through BG.

14. Comment by GlowBoy January 26, 2021 @ 4:24 pm | Link

More like a Tesla dealership. Auto dealers are generally not corporate owned, under federal law intended to prevent vertical monopolies.

15. Comment by X January 26, 2021 @ 4:23 pm | Link

The actions you mention are religious practices.

16. Comment by Serenity January 26, 2021 @ 4:19 pm | Link

OK, then.

Round up would also kill the surrounding lawn. Just going for the root would work better.

In response to The Flanders Crossing Bridge is born, and a key bikeway comes into focus Array

17. Comment by marisheba January 26, 2021 @ 4:15 pm | Link

Yeah, I live a few blocks from the beginning of the rampage, and I feel rettled even without having kids to worry about! That said, your kids are every bit as safe out there today as they were last week or last month. Fortunately, freak incidents like this are just that. Very glad none of your were out there when this was happening!

18. Comment by Dan Cooper January 26, 2021 @ 4:14 pm | Link

Ummm. I'd rather have cops on bikes than in cars?

19. Comment by X January 26, 2021 @ 4:12 pm | Link

IMO part of the weirdness is the direct result of people fronting names that signify nothing to 99% of readers. I read twice anything posted under the full name of a person that I know (or perhaps could find or meet in life). The abundance of other stuff crowds out comments from actual people we might like to hear from.

No, X is not my actual name.

20. Comment by JBone January 26, 2021 @ 4:11 pm | Link

A massive cultural upheaval/revolution? Is there a historical model you have in mind? I don't understand or like our collective bent toward might and violence, but as MLK eluded: 1) only light can drive out darkness and 2) justice is a long arc. I would hope that you'd be thinking a sustainable and effective long-game, like 5 generations in the future, not a short-term foreceful overthrow to get what you (and your fellow idealogues) want right now. I know it might not be apparent though the MSM or in social echo chambers, but there are a significant number of decent, fair-minded folks who are sick of the radical solutions that are being thrown out. We want change (many voted for Obama), but it has to be non-tyrannical, logical, and honest. Truth>freedom>love,not mandated love through wack social narratives (CRT).

21. Comment by setha January 26, 2021 @ 3:56 pm | Link

My thoughts too. But in my case it was a CoMotion Americano. I guess I'll have to see what happens and whether they'll still sell or service non-Trek bikes.

22. Comment by Serenity January 26, 2021 @ 3:54 pm | Link

Most things can be reversed, David Hampsten. Enjoy it now.

23. Comment by X January 26, 2021 @ 3:39 pm | Link

Well everybody's got an opinion, *. Good luck with cancelling Joe. Joe is a real person who evidently cares too much for this crowd. I'll bet you 20 he's already on moderation which means Jonathan has seen his posts. Jonathan has seen his posts.

Joe has put in his time in the Portland bike community while you were doing other stuff. Looks like he gets to talk. Maybe he'll decide to self-filter, or maybe he'll just hit send.

* is a stand-in for (space bar)

24. Comment by Christian Samuel January 26, 2021 @ 3:34 pm | Link

Jonathan,
    Aren’t you going to redact a’s comment? Seems mean. 🙂

25. Comment by JBone January 26, 2021 @ 3:34 pm | Link

"fund more nuanced services that...are actually held accountable"?? Have you seen what a bureaucratic nightmare almost every public institution has become (and possibly always was/will ever be? Truth is, many 'conservatives' actually want the same outcomes many 'progressives' wish for, they are simply more realistic about the nature of people re: motivation, discipline, integrity, etc. and rightly don't trust government. If you really wanted to persuade all of us bleeding heart conservative types, you'd seriously hold the existing institutions accountable, not with protest parades and all the other nauseating posturing.

Comments