Comments

At BikePortland, we think your comments are just as important as our stories. This page lists all comments made on BikePortland.org, with recent comments at the top.

If you love great comments as much as we do, check out our Comment of the Week column. Please help us find more great ones by simply typing "comment of the week" in a comment.

Return to the Front Page.

1. Comment by BEL January 15, 2022 @ 8:17 am | Link

Anyone seen the burned out car in the middle basically blocking the path on the 205 path just north of Sandy as it goes under the railroad. They finally after 2 yrs recently cleaned up the chop shop mess. Was clear for about 1 day. Now they are back & driving cars down there from NE Sandy. So Disturbing that cant use the path from safely at all.

In response to City's concrete barriers restrict access to Columbia Slough path Array

2. Comment by PS January 15, 2022 @ 7:53 am | Link

It says a lot that this relatively remote and largely unmaintained section of path (the strava segment is literally called "The Hell of North Portland" due to its rough similarity to cobbled sections in Europe) is highlighted for issues of access and safety, but there is never an article on the Division underpass or Powell overpass on the 205 path.

3. Comment by Ian January 15, 2022 @ 7:09 am | Link

Does it also pay in Vancouver, where this incident happened?

In response to Vancouver Boy Scouts troop asks for help finding stolen mountain bikes Array

4. Comment by Mike Quigley January 15, 2022 @ 5:56 am | Link

How about turning 'em lengthwise? And at least powerwash 'em? But, really. Does ANYTHING work in America anymore, unless you're wealthy?

5. Comment by H. Ovekov January 14, 2022 @ 11:49 pm | Link

Agree and especially in Portland as we have virtually zero traffic enforcement.

6. Comment by H. Ovekov January 14, 2022 @ 11:46 pm | Link

I'm actually almost pleasantly surprised the city did something to prevent driving on bike paths. They usually just enable this type of illegal behavior. But that is a pretty low budget and lousy way to do it. Again not surprised as PBOT/Joanne Hardesty don't seem that supportive of cyclists. In my opinion, PBOT support for cycling infrastructure (keeping it safe and clean) has really declined over the last 3-5 years. I'm going to vote differently and hope for charter reform as PBOT/Hardesty have been completely unresponsive to my (and others) requests for improved bike path maintenance.

7. Comment by H. Ovekov January 14, 2022 @ 11:34 pm | Link

Simpson focused a lot on the “triple bottom line” which he sees as: the value and impact of construction contracts, the potential for “environmental stewardship”, and the reduction of congestion..

And the improved bike infrastructure is another added bonus!

In response to Leaders of I-5 expansion projects sound off at Portland Business Alliance forum Array

8. Comment by Don Courtney January 14, 2022 @ 9:35 pm | Link

In the spirit of compromise, as the constituency of this project, ie the rest of the state, has clearly not seen the light, just perhaps let it go, make sure there is a big cap placed over the freeway, which would be a nice improvement over the pavement city that exists there now, and fight like hell for Cadcadia high speed rail?

Also it’s a bit sad to see the lingering attitudes that the I-205 area is some kind of decrepit place, up until the recent.crime surge people actually liked living there, it’s diverse, great food and connectivity, larger lots, and not so many “New Portland” types. And with good houses going for almost 500k, my new neighbors in software and medical fields might take issue with being called “low income”

9. Comment by Ross Williams January 14, 2022 @ 5:36 pm | Link

"And the I-205 Auxiliary Lanes project was a failure. There’s still just as much congestion and now you’re in the way if you stop to try to merge into a through lane. You can’t even legally get on a freeway in stop and go traffic and they made it worse."

That pretty much summarizes the plans for I-5. More traffic and more congestion. ODOT's model for the widening of I-5 at Lombard 20 years ago claimed it would reduce traffic and congestion at the Rose Quarter and on the Fremont Bridge. It didn't.

What it will produce is more commuters from Clark County and more local traffic forced to use local streets to avoid the congestion on I5. If someone needs to get out to Beaverton or Hillsborough they will just have to sit and wait for a chance to get on the freeway filled with Clark COunty commuters trying to get downtown.

The real solution to I-5 is to designate I-205 as the through freeway and turn the I-5 corridor into a parkway that serves local traffic. The land opened for development would do more to spur the Portland economy than encouraging more people to commute from homes in rural Clark County.

There is a good reason this project has been on the drawing boards multiple times over the last 30 years but never got off them. Its a dumb idea.

10. Comment by Josh Ross (Contributor) January 14, 2022 @ 4:26 pm | Link

The Idro Pro 2 and 3 from Castelli are both in my cycling garment trunk. Shakedry is amazing but there's no way it will work for me in deep winter. I've been using an Assos Ultraz winter jacket with an Equipe RS rain jacket over it and it's worked for me. So far January has been a bit more mild so I've been leaving the hard shell at home and switching to another Assos jacket.

In response to Warm hands, happy rider: An overview of winter gloves Array

11. Comment by FDUP January 14, 2022 @ 3:44 pm | Link

Obviously, you have a stake in designing and installing this kind of crap.

In response to Video: A closer look at PBOT's three new roundabouts on NE 108th Array

12. Comment by Kyle Banerjee January 14, 2022 @ 3:43 pm | Link

Moisture shouldn't wick through the membrane -- that's a sign of product failure.

However, all kinds of things go wrong once it wets out. The cold water on the outside basically clings to you so you lose all your heat through conductive transfer as like you would if you're wet even though you're dry. The breathable properties diminish dramatically so your warm moist air won't get through. Even if you're not technically wet, you'll feel like you are and have most of the same associated problems.

For high output stuff, you need to dress light -- the only GoreTex technologies I use for cycling are their ShakeDry and Active even if temps are in single digits. Anything else is way too heavy.

Most Portland cyclists way overdress -- nonintuitively this is a great way to freeze. Once you get wet with sweat, you'll lose heat like crazy both via conductive transfer and evaporation. There is a reason mountaineers in much colder and more extreme conditions wear uninsulated shells.

In response to Warm hands, happy rider: An overview of winter gloves Array

13. Comment by FDUP January 14, 2022 @ 3:42 pm | Link

These are a hazard to cyclists, period.

14. Comment by Gm January 14, 2022 @ 3:42 pm | Link

I've been looking for rain over-mitts with palm slits for sticking out liner-gloved fingers for temp & bike controls. I have some old neoprene flip mitts but haven't found a good replacement.

In response to Warm hands, happy rider: An overview of winter gloves Array

15. Comment by FDUP January 14, 2022 @ 3:33 pm | Link

Curbs and other unexpected hardscape in the ROW are just as dangerous to cyclists as these barricades are, and it's all installed because MV drivers no longer have any responsibility for their own behavior or actions. IMO, our city and society in general have reached a very sad state when it comes to this.

16. Comment by Steve C January 14, 2022 @ 3:27 pm | Link

Looks like a job for a couple of bollards

17. Comment by Kyle Banerjee January 14, 2022 @ 3:23 pm | Link

Sheep stand outside all day in the cold rain. They knew something about it too. Wool has the best thermal and smell properties of any technical fabric I use.

The only thing it's not superior at is wind blocking and abrasion resistance.

In response to Warm hands, happy rider: An overview of winter gloves Array

18. Comment by andrew January 14, 2022 @ 3:19 pm | Link

Remember that time pbot installed speed bumps on the hawthorne?

19. Comment by Doug Allen January 14, 2022 @ 3:00 pm | Link

Neither speaker shed much light on the nature of the controversies surrounding these projects. They also showed no interest in compromising their vision of needless expensive highway expansion. Alternatives have been offered by opponents that would cost much less, but the people running these projects show no interest in dialog. They would rather rally supporters to push their schemes forward.

20. Comment by Allan Rudwick January 14, 2022 @ 2:23 pm | Link

Maybe the business community is silent because these projects are bad ideas and they're trying to do the "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all" thing.

Visionaries have been talking about a greener future and these projects just feel like more of the same. Hard to sell the public on marginal if any improvement for $Billion price tags

Great ideas have way more supporters than these stinkers

21. Comment by Todd/Boulanger January 14, 2022 @ 2:17 pm | Link

...I mean westbound.

In response to Here's the story behind those cool bike parking sheds on Southeast Ankeny Array

22. Comment by Todd/Boulanger January 14, 2022 @ 2:16 pm | Link

Thanks Jonathan...I totally missed them...since I usually pedal southbound on Ankeny. Now I have a reason to pull over for an 'art break'.

23. Comment by Johnny Bye Carter January 14, 2022 @ 2:16 pm | Link

The I-205 Auxiliary Lanes project didn't rile the community because they hadn't been displaced that far east when I-205 was built. If you tried to build I-205 now and displaced all the lower income people that are currently forced to live out there then you'd have the same problem expanding it.

And the I-205 Auxiliary Lanes project was a failure. There's still just as much congestion and now you're in the way if you stop to try to merge into a through lane. You can't even legally get on a freeway in stop and go traffic and they made it worse.

They're the ones stuck on the politics of building freeways and ignoring the science.

And yes, we're tired of compromise because rolling over and letting them ruin the area is what got us here. We're all lucky people stood against the freeway system in the 70s or freeways would be the norm and nobody would be questioning more suffering.

And don't pull the race card about giving the contract to BIPOC businesses when you can just as easily give them the contract for something that won't continue destroying the planet.

Anyone trying to advance a freeway expansion project, no matter how small, is a horrible person.

We should only be repairing existing freeways, and reducing the capacity when we do it, not expanding it.

24. Comment by Josh Ross (Contributor) January 14, 2022 @ 1:57 pm | Link

I have those sitting in my house waiting for a review. They came to me after I wrote this article but I think they are a strong contender. Another brand actually suggested that totally sperating the waterproof layer was a good idea and that's what they do. Now if it would only start raining again so I can test them properly.

In response to Warm hands, happy rider: An overview of winter gloves Array

25. Comment by paikiala January 14, 2022 @ 1:55 pm | Link

Slower drivers is always a good thing.

Comments