Tour Guide/Shop Staff
Company / Organization
Cycle Portland Bike Tours and Rentals
Are you passionate about bikes? If you are searching for an engaging job with fun people at a small bike shop in Portland, look no further! We are young entrepreneurs looking to showcase Portland the way we enjoy it, from the seat of a bicycle.
At Cycle Portland Bike Tours and Rentals, we are a small, family-run cornerstone in Portland’s cycling community. Cycle Portland works to support and inspire visiting cyclists and local commuters alike though quality repairs, guided bike tours, and affordable well-maintained bike rentals.
We are looking to add tour guides and shop staff interested in showcasing the city we love. As part of our small team, you’ll have the opportunity to advise travelers about your favorite local attractions and hotspots, lead guests around town as part of our easy-going cycling excursions, and lend a hand to our full-service bike shop.
This position is suited to individuals who enjoy sharing their knowledge with visitors. Our tour guides interface directly with the public, and are comfortable with giving directions, route assistance, and helping clients plan their visit to Portland.
While primarily focused on tour guiding, this position will encompass guiding up to two tours per day (2-5 hours of outdoor time, rain or shine) on our Foodie, Brewery, or City bike excursions. During time at the shop you’ll help guide clients through our bike rental process, answer questions about the products and services we offer, and help keep the shop running smoothly. You’ll also get the opportunity to dive deep into the history of our city in both past, present, and future as we work to keep our tours engaging, fun, and informative.
Part Time and Full-Time positions available, seasonal with the possibility of staying on year-round. Semi-flexible scheduling; 20-35 hours/week. Must be available to work weekends, no evenings necessary.
$15-17/hr starting (plus gratuities from guiding) DOE
Free use of rentals, 45% Discounts on quality bike products and shop services.
1 week – paid vacation
1 week – paid sick leave
• Must be 21+ years of age.
• Must obtain a First Aid/CPR certification within 30 days of hire
• Must be a confident cyclist and know or be willing to learn how to repair a flat tire.
• Ability to lift bicycles and other objects up to 55 pounds on a regular basis, however reasonable accommodations can be made for qualified applicants
• Must be LGBTQ friendly. We encourage POC, Trans, Non-Binary, Gender-Non-Conforming, Women, and Marginalized Groups to apply.
Knowledge and skill in the following areas is preferred (but not required), and represents core strengths as part of this position:
• Genuine desire to work with and listen to the public both as a tour guide, and as part of our shop staff to meet client where they’re at with their needs
• Excellent public speaking skills, comfortable working with and projecting to audiences of up to 12 individuals at a time
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Curiosity! We love learning about Portland, and sharing that passion with others as the stories of our city and region evolve
• Self-motivated and comfortable asking for support when needed
• Experience in the performance arts, previous bike shops, bike mechanical knowledge, and tour guiding while not required, is a plus
How to Apply
Please send us an email with “Tour Guide Applicant” as the subject line.
As part of your resume, please include two current references and a brief paragraph about why you’d be a good fit for this position, as well as your weekday/weekend availabilities.
For more information about Cycle Portland, check out our website portlandbicycletours.com, visit our Facebook or Instagram page, or stop by the shop. We look forward to hearing from you!