Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on April 29th, 2019 at 4:24 pm
Seasonal Retail Specialist
Company / Organization
Community Cycling Center
For over 25 years, we have been a nonprofit organization on a mission to broaden access to bicycling and its benefits.
Our vision is to continue building a vibrant community where people of all backgrounds use bicycles to stay healthy and connected. We believe that all Portlanders—regardless of income or background—should have the opportunity to experience the joy, freedom and health benefits of bicycling. This is the motivation behind everything we do.
This position operates out of our full-service bike shop in NE Portland’s busy Alberta District. Our high-volume shop is staffed by experienced mechanics from diverse cycling backgrounds who provide compassionate customer service to a broad cross-section of cyclists. Here at the shop we value and support one another through the work we do and are committed to working collaboratively to meet our goals. We acknowledge and value diversity and its many intersections. We are proud that people of color, women, neuro-divergent, gender non-conforming and LGBTQIA+ folks choose to work at our shop. We encourage more people from varied and diverse backgrounds to join our lively, talented team.
The Retail Specialist is responsible for providing excellent customer service, maintaining a clean, welcoming and well stocked retail environment and developing strong customer relationships. This position will require experience working with point of sale and inventory management systems, experience in a high volume retail environment, the ability to refine and develop workable systems, and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively as needed.
• Greet customers and provide welcoming retail environment for people of all backgrounds
• Provide excellent customer service in all aspects of retail sales
• Clean and maintain retail space and stock retail floor on a daily basis
• Work collaboratively with all shop staff to maintain reliable and relevant inventories
• Work with retail management to create displays, signs and labels to showcase products in innovative and efficient ways
• Maintain and improve storage systems and retail environment to increase efficiency, capacity and inventory reliability.
• Participate in team meetings
• As a non-profit we believe that fundraising is everyone’s job. There is an expectation that all employees will support fundraising efforts.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & CHARACTERISTICS
• Personable, receptive and compassionate approach to customer service
• Prior retail experience
• Ability to maintain composure and a respectful, cooperative attitude through high stress situations
• Attention to detail and a methodical approach to accomplishing tasks
• Capacity to work independently and deliver on objectives
• Experience with POS and general computer systems
• Ability to work a flexible schedule
• A strong desire to learn and develop professional skills in the bicycle industry
• A commitment to equity and social justice
DESIRED QUALITIES OR EXPERIENCE
• Proficiency in Spanish strongly desired
• Prior Bike Shop experience
• $14.50 per hour to start
• Benefits: Health, dental and vision insurance after 30 days, Paid Time Off, $85 Used Parts Allowance, $200 Labor Benefit, Cost +10% pricing on new parts, flexible scheduling during off-season
HOW TO APPLY
Submit resume and cover letter to jobs@CommunityCyclingCenter.org with “Retail Specialist” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The Community Cycling Center is an equal opportunity employer. Women, trans, gender non-conforming encouraged to apply. People of color encouraged to apply.