Tour de Lab September 1st

Subscriber Post - This post was written by a subscriber.
Want to subscribe? Learn More »

Stolen Santa Cruz MTBs

Subscriber Post by rsk on May 21st, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Juliana

Our Santa Cruz bikes were jacked either this morning from our garage in Hillsboro. We live in a quiet neighborhood and whoever stole our bikes knew what they wanted as the bikes were all the way in the back of the garage and not obvious from the street.
One is a large gray Mens’ Heckler with the Shimano unified brake/shifter combo levers, which they didn’t make for very long so this should be easy to spot.
The other was my girlfriend’s gold flake small Juliana, a very unique color, with SRAM XO components, so this should be easy to spot as well.

The thieves were very brazen as the only time I keep the garage open is when doing yard work, so they stole these bike from right out in front of me. They also stole an Echo cordless battery powered gray leaf blower, some other hand tools, and some random boxes. We’ve had some shady looking lawn people in the neighborhood that I’ve never seen before, and the amount of stuff that they took makes me believe that they had a vehicle to haul our stuff away in. My gf is very bummed, as she only has one bike. Please be on the lookout for these bikes in Portland.

Please support BikePortland.

Ted Timmons (Contributor) May 22, 2016 at 3:05 pm

Sorry to hear this- can you post links to the bikeindex pages for them? It’s the perfect place for putting the serial numbers, probably the best chance of recovery comes through that site.

• bikeindex
    bikeindex May 22, 2016 at 3:59 pm

Links on these are:
    2006 Santa Cruz Juliana https://bikeindex.org/bikes/78178
    2004 Santa Cruz Heckler https://bikeindex.org/bikes/78179

To the owner/poster – be sure to monitor the ‘local sales apps’ offerupNow and 5miles – lots of stolen bikes showing up there.

Ron Kopald May 22, 2016 at 4:05 pm

Thanks for tips, I will load those onto my phone. These bikes are both fairly unique, the small one for the paint and my Heckler for those shift/brake levers. I can’t tell you how bummed we are. The thieves were brazen, they swiped a bunch of other stuff too in the middle of the day.

Ron Kopald May 22, 2016 at 4:10 pm

Also, unfortunately at the time we cannot locate the paperwork with serial numbers, which is a major bummer. We are the original owners and have had them for a while. I’ll keep looking for the paperwork and if I can find it I will update Bikeindex.

Ron Kopald May 22, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Briefly got in touch with the guy that was selling these on OfferUpNow and he caught on to me pretty quick because he rescinded his offer very quickly and pulled the listings down. Hillsboro PD said several houses were hit in our neighborhood and that they might turn up.
    Also my gf was able to get the serial number of her bike from the bike shop so I should be able to get mine too tomorrow. These bikes are out there. Hopefully he’ll list them again.

Ron Kopald May 23, 2016 at 3:47 pm

These bikes are up for sale again on OfferUp, we have the serial numbers and have provided them to the police, they said the only thing we can do now is arrange a meeting so they can bust the guyy, If anybody has any better ideas about how to get our bike back please contact me. Seems kinda ridiculous that our bikes are just sitting there and OfferUp won’t provide any details without a search warrant.

• bikeindex
    bikeindex May 23, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Hey Ron – bryan at BikeIndex here – please contact me directly via email (bryan@bikeindex.org) and I can walk you through dealing with stolen bikes listed on Offerup