Regional Managing Editor- Portland
This position has been filled.
Job Description / Assignment
Develop your skills as an editor and organizer with our future-focused, positive and growing
magazine. We are looking for an energetic, talented editor with a positive outlook and a great
skill for motivating and organizing creative people. Your local team will report on and reflect the
culture of cycling in your community. Together you will share stories of fabulous everyday
people making a simple, self-propelled difference and connect readers with local cycling
resources and events.
Regional Editors wanted for the following locations:
• New York City
Time requirement: Approximately 40 hours per issue (every two months)
Payment: honorarium based on section page count ($250–500 to start)
• Education: Third year student in print journalism, first year masters program or equivalent
• The successful candidate is deadline-driven, full of story ideas, and is an independent worker
that is willing to take initiative.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office products including Word and Excel.
• Basic familiarity with graphics formats and image handling an asset.
• Must understand the essence of being a cyclist who rides their bike everyday.
• Knowledgeable and involved with local cycling issues, events and culture.
• Excellent communication skills and respect for dialogue and diversity of opinion.
• Recruit and manage local writers and photographers.
• Research regional stories about people and organizations promoting or celebrating cycling or simply living life self-propelled.
• Fact checking, proofreading, making phone calls.
• Plan, assign, edit and submit 4 to 8 pages of content including profiles, features and events
• Enforce deadlines.
• Edit all writing before it is submitted to layout.
• Manage (small) editorial budget.
• Reports to Editor
Momentum is North America’s urban cycling culture magazine. Covering a range of topics from arts; food; current events; fashion; gear reviews plus thoughtful analysis of ideas and cultural trends, Momentum is a niche publication for people who ride bikes to get around.
Momentum is published bi-monthly, distributed free in 20 North American cities and available everywhere by subscription. Momentum’s current print run is 60,000 copies and these are divided into 4 different editions – BC, Chicago, San Francisco Bay Area and North America. The goal for 2010 is to add up to 5 more editions in Portland, Seattle, New York, Canada and USA.
How to Apply
Reply to: amy at momentumplanet dot com
Reply with a cover letter, CV and samples of your own writing by December 11, 2009.