Three person ‘bike car’ prototype stolen

Posted by on June 29th, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Keep your eyes peeled for this unique bike that was stolen from North Portland last night.
(Photos: Johnnie Olivan/Rejuiced Bikes)

A local bike builder who received a $15,000 grant back in March to build a fleet of ‘bike cars’ has had the first working prototype stolen from his front yard in North Portland last night/this morning.

Rear view

Johnnie Olivan of Rejuiced Bikes has spent months working on his custom, three-wheeled bike that has a ramp in the rear for wheelchair access. Olivan gave test-rides on the bike at the City of Portland’s Adaptive Bike Clinic held back in May. The bike is made for three people: Two that pedal on each side and one person in a wheelchair that rolls up a ramp in the rear and powers the bike with a hand-crank.

Check out more information and photos via the BikePortland stolen bike listing and the Craigslist post.

Comments
  • Renee June 29, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Seems to me that a ‘bike car’ is a bad idea. It is too big to fit in the bike lane and too slow for the car lanes. Having one of these putter in the car lane will really piss off car drivers. This thing just does not have a place in the current world IMO. One main feature that makes a bike great is that it has a small footprint.

• Spiffy June 29, 2010 at 2:12 pm

this should be an easy recovery… it’s too huge to hide and too unique and in-your-face to ride anywhere…

the hardest part will be spotting it in the ditch that it’s probably sitting in right now…

• maxadders June 29, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Stake out the bottle return sites. Looks like that thing could haul a lot of empties!

• Carl June 29, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Better yet, stake out Renee’s house. She’s already established her motive for getting it off the streets!

Also, stake out circuses. Looks like that thing could haul a lot of clowns.

(I’ll keep an eye out, Johnnie. It’s a great bike and I love seeing it out and about. My money’s on the “drunken joyride ending with a flat tire in an alley” scenario.)

• trail user June 29, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Prototype? Gratuitous publicity? Where’s the bike posse?

• Anonymous June 29, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I LOVE rejuiced bikes and I hope that this bike gets returned quickly.

• Michael M. June 29, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I just saw that bike on Saturday. Hope he gets it back in tact.

• A.K. June 29, 2010 at 3:13 pm

So, after the missing folding bike episode a month or so ago, inventors didn’t learn anything?

Keep your projects inside!

Seriously. You are asking for it if you don’t.

Hell, rent a garage if you don’t have anywhere else to keep it.

• Shiva's Slaves Crew June 29, 2010 at 3:59 pm

last seen at around midnight. here is a video and blog link for more info.

The bike was stolen with the whole setup: a wheelchair, some cheap house speakers, 12 volt gel battery, and a tape player stereo deck.

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgNf6GdZb5g

• Johnnie Olivan June 29, 2010 at 4:00 pm
  • Paul Tay June 29, 2010 at 5:02 pm

You guys are killin’ me!

• q'Tzal June 29, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Security by obscurity is no security.
    Locks people. Use’m.

• Jerry_W June 29, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I hope you get it back. I can’t even imagine who would want that, but it won’t blend in on the bike trail, that’s for sure, so should be easy to spot. Check the pawn shops, it won’t fit in the door, so should be on the sidewalk.

• anonymous June 29, 2010 at 8:45 pm

One barrier to cycling is fear. If this bike was unlocked that needs to be reported here.

Readers need to know they can ride without fear if they lock their bike with a u-lock.

Readers need to know that many of the stolen bike postings were unlocked.

• Johnnie Olivan June 29, 2010 at 8:57 pm

The bike was not locked with a u-lock…it was in front of my house with a wheelchair in it saying, “don’t steal me.”

I don’t appreciate what Renee said. I made this bike with my hands, you are hating on my art. Maybe we need some bigger bike lanes or maybe you can try this bike out before you decide it is not for you.

I choose to use the “bike-car” because I can communicate with cars on the road and travel around Portland safely, and it is good for me, my friends, & family….

I got my bike stolen and I planned on taking it to the STP Classic. Check the ad that was placed monday at 7pm.

not cool dude…

Thanks Jonathan for spreading the word.

• BURR June 29, 2010 at 9:05 pm

don’t let the haters get to you, johnnie.

but still, if you love it you should lock it.

:-)

• Ladd June 29, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Interesting bike, but you did leave it out in the street for weeks on end — I’m surprised it didn’t get stolen sooner.

• Dee June 29, 2010 at 9:46 pm

Hey, Johnnie, I hope you get your bike back – I’m sure you worked very hard on creating it. I saw it during Pedalpalooza (at the bike fair?) and loved it. Awesome to include a hand-crank. I’ll keep a look out.

• CaptainKarma June 30, 2010 at 12:02 am

Got my car stolen once out of my driveway. I sheepishly admitted to the cop that I had left a set of keys under the seat and the door was not locked. The cop said “So! What! They still didn’t have to steal it!”
    He was right. And they did catch the weasels, and it was about joyriding. I have a feeling this bike will be recovered soon. What a bunch of friggin moron/perps.

• Grand Master June 30, 2010 at 12:25 am

Let’s just prey that this bike gets returned to the rightful owner. Or look for it and call in when you see it. Thank you baby jesus

• Jack June 30, 2010 at 7:40 am

I ride by Johnnie’s house often and always see a number of contraptions hanging around unlocked. It’d be great if that were something you could do in Portland, but we’re not there yet.

I agree that when publicizing cases of theft where the bike wasn’t locked, we need to hear that detail. No one stole this bike-car for money. My bet would be on some kids wandering around late at night who stumbled across a crazy looking contraption which is just sitting there waiting to be taken on a joy ride.

• Aaron June 30, 2010 at 11:01 am

I really respect Johny and this machine is very impressive. It allows a disabled person to sit in a wheelchair and pedal with assistance from two able-bodied riders. That’s both unique and innovative. It’s a serious damn shame that someone would steal it. On the other hand I helped ride it north to Sunday Parkways and it’s seriously heavy. I can’t imagine a thief getting far with it.

• beth h June 30, 2010 at 11:30 am

“The bike was not locked with a u-lock…it was in front of my house with a wheelchair in it saying, ‘don’t steal me.’ ”

*******

I like this invention and appreciate the work that must have gone into it. I sincerely hope that it’s found and returned. However, I also have to point out that theft is an inevitable reality in our society and economy; and that the sentiment expressed by the approach (a sign asking not to be stolen) is fine as far as ity goes, but sadly quite naieve.

Elderly and infirm citizens who depend on motorized chairs have them stolen because they are not locked securely, or because their dwellings are easy to break into. This is really not much different, and just as sad.

I hope that Johnnie gets the bike back quickly and unharmed and wish him all the best.

• Ted Buehler June 30, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I testify that I have personally ridden the PedalCar, both from the bicyclist seat and the wheelchair seat. It’s the one and only true car on the face of the earth that is pedal powered and ADA accessible. May the pedalgods and goddesses favor its quick return.

Yours in The Faith,
    Pasture Ted

p.s. I agree that folks should lock their stuff up if they don’t want it to wander away. I’ve noticed 2 traditions in Portland — 1) folks often don’t lock their bikes in their own back yard, and 2) folks keep seem to get their bikes stolen from the back yard…

• n8m July 1, 2010 at 2:45 am

This bike is so awesome. It is a work of art.
    I’m so bummed on the typical negative, obvious, preachy comments. Johnny doesnt need to be told to lock his bike, wear his helmet, reduce his footprint or anything else. For the love, validate your ego somewhere else. He needs our help finding this rad bike. I’ll have my eye out brother.