A smashing time at the Tweed Ride

Posted by on January 30th, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Tweed Ride Portland, circa 2010.
Photo Gallery (110 images) / Slideshow Below
(Photos © J. Maus)

Today under gloomy skies and cool temps, about 150 or so well-dressed Portlanders of all ages took part in our first Tweed Ride. Given the amount of splendid outfits and old English bikes, it’s almost as if this is a ride Portland has been waiting for for years.

Tweed Ride Portland 2010-54

We gathered under the neo-classical arches and on the cobblestones of Ankeny Plaza — a location that fit well with the pipes, vests, flasks, hunting caps, knickers, and jackets. Besides all the fantastic tweed and finery, the ride was also a chance to show old antique bikes. Ed Rae, the North American rep for Brompton, decided to leave his folder home for this ride and opted instead for his vintage Raleigh. “I thought it was more in keeping with the spirit of the ride.”

One person said they thought it was the “Tweet” ride and showed up with their smartphone at the ready (just kidding, but couldn’t resist the joke).

Tweed Ride Portland 2010-66 Tweed Ride Portland 2010-8 Tweed Ride Portland 2010-95 Tweed Ride Portland 2010-111

After showing off outfits and bikes, we rolled up to Overlook House in North Portland where tea and biscuits were shared. The ride then shoved off to Laurelhurst Park in Southeast for a fashion show and ended up back downtown for a showing of Les Triplettes de Belleville. (My lady and I didn’t make it to the fashion show or the movie… if you did, we’d love to hear a report in the comments below).

Good times and lots of cheerio with friends old and new. And my oh my, you all looked absolutely lovely! Browse the full photo gallery or sit back and watch the slideshow below.

Comments
  • Anonymous January 30, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Your slide show is wonderful, and I’m impressed by the great-looking outfits people came up with. Sure, there’s a “costume” effect at work here, and that’s fun; but at the same time, many of the costumes look like real, practical street clothes.

More street clothes on bikes! More civilized bike-riding! More tea! It’s all good.

• Tacoma January 30, 2010 at 5:28 pm

Brilliant!

• are January 30, 2010 at 5:39 pm

excellent photos. looks like much fun was had.

• John Lascurettes January 30, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Looks like a blast and a half!

Must get some tweed for next year. I was going to show up with my tux & gold pocketwatch but wasn’t willng to ride in that if it was going be soggy (and would have been overdressed I guess). Oh yeah, and I way overslept. :)

Glad to see kiddies on the ride as I will definitely bring the boy next year.

• Mark Riskedahl January 30, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Nice pics! Sorry I missed it.

• Katie January 30, 2010 at 9:09 pm

We had a fantastic time on the ride, many thanks to the organizers!

• Big on wool but short on tweed January 30, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Love the jackets, love the shoes, love the tights, love the old bikes and baskets, and omigod of all my blazers only one is tweed (and I’m very protective of it). I’ll be shopping this year.

(I do think the pipes are a notable affectation unless they were being smoked, but I’m not very theatrical.)

• Joe Adamski January 30, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Everybody had a wonderful time. And there was not any nastyness of ‘delayed’ motorists,which made it much nicer.
    The organizers did a wonderful job. Many thanks to them, not only for the organizing,but for envisioning a ride that I am sure will be an ongoing ride in years to come. I appreciated the effort many riders made to be as authentic as possible, and the sense of whimsy that showed again and again. The weather cooperated, for the most part. All in all, a memorable ride and a sweet day!

• [...] drizzle, Portland’s First Annual Tweed Ride attracted well over 150 Portlanders decked out in their sportiest tweed.  With stops at Overlook [...]

• Carl (BTA) January 31, 2010 at 8:04 am

Good show, all.

To those of you who proudly held aloft a BUILD IT sign or spokecard, or wondered what those people holding those signs were doing, I have just posted the photographs to the BTA’s BUILD IT site (http://www.portlandbikenetwork.org).

The rally and public hearing for adoption of the 2030 bike plan is at 1:30 this Thursday at City Hall (but I wish it was yesterday as ya’ll would make for one classy rally!).

• Jocelyn January 31, 2010 at 10:36 am

Congrats on what looked like a smashing success! Love the photo gallery – all the smiling faces. Wish I could have been there!

• IanO January 31, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I am so jealous. I am so tooling up my wardrobe for next year’s event. You guys all look smashing! Has anyone submitted this to Bike Couture or Cycle Chic yet?

And a penny farthing! (and maybe even a mini-farthing?!)

That side-by-side recumbent tandem looks like the height of sophistication.

• Ivy January 31, 2010 at 11:41 pm
  • A few events this weekend. « Bike Blog NYC February 1, 2010 at 10:19 am

[...] More from PDXpipeline.com and BikePortland.org [...]

• Jill February 1, 2010 at 10:55 am

What a smart looking bunch. So bummed to have missed it! I just got the perfect tweed coat, too. Next year!

• Steve Hoyt-McBeth February 1, 2010 at 11:17 am

Totally awesome. Bummed that I missed it. Bravo to the organizers and the participants.

• clever nettle » Tweed Bike Ride February 1, 2010 at 7:20 pm

[...] over, Cycle Chic from Copenhagen! Portland has some super stylish bike riders too, and last weekend Bike Portland organized their very first Tweed Ride. I head about it, but forgot and had kind of a lazy [...]

• [...] drizzle, Portland’s First Annual Tweed Ride attracted well over 150 Portlanders decked out in their sportiest tweed. With stops at Overlook [...]

• [...] Bike Portland Post [...]

• Dummy Jim February 27, 2010 at 6:44 am

Dear All. What an excellent idea. Although I have found damp to be the natural enemy of tweed. Yours aye, Jim.