Welcome to Bike Theft Central
We take bike theft seriously here at BikePortland.
We’ve been working on the issue — both online and off — since 2006. To learn more about the problem, browse our hundreds of articles on the topic. This page will give you a few tips in case you’ve become a victim – and a few that will help prevent theft in the first place.
- Invest in the highest quality lock you can afford. We recommend heavy-duty U-locks, heavy-gauge chains, or handcuff-style locks.
- Always lock your bike to a secure, fixed object.
- Only lock your bike in a well-lit, well-traveled area.
- If possible, lock your bike indoors.
- Avoid using quick-release skewers on wheels and saddles. Replace existing quick-releases with bolts or locking skewers.