Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) on June 18th, 2014 at 4:21 pm
Recycle and Reuse Manager
Bike Works Seattle
RECYCLE AND REUSE MANAGER (FULL-TIME EXEMPT)
Bike Works, based in Seattle, builds sustainable communities by educating youth and promoting bicycling. Bike Works has been working for kids, bikes, and community in Seattle since 1996. Our programs and services invest in young people and encourage bicycling as a clean and healthy transportation alternative. Last year over 600 youth, ages 9 to 17, participated in our programs and gained the skills and resources they need to translate lessons about confidence and leadership into their own lives, helping them to make healthier decisions about their futures. We also recycle and redistribute close to 5,000 used bicycles annually to youth and adults locally through our programs and community bike shop, and internationally through organization partners. We value and seek diverse team members who are passionate, innovative, collaborative, professional, fun, responsible and solutions-oriented.
The Recycle and Reuse Manager reports to our Bike Shop Director and oversees our bicycle recycling program. This program is an essential component of our mission, increasing access to affordable, environmentally-friendly transportation in Seattle by distributing thousands of refurbished bicycles back into the community. This program prolongs the life of usable bikes and parts and each year diverts thousands of pounds from the waste stream. The Recycle and Reuse Manager oversees this process, and supplies other departments at Bike Works with the bikes, parts, and accessories they require to carry out our mission. The Recycle and Reuse Manager leads procurement efforts for bike donations, manages bike recycling intake and processing systems, and supervises up to three staff within the Recycle and Reuse department. This position is full-time (40 hours per week), exempt.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Oversees intake and triage processes, and inventory systems, for donated used bikes, bike parts, and accessories
• Acts as lead in bike donation procurement efforts
• Manages Recycle and Reuse department, supervising staff mechanics and mentoring volunteer mechanics
• Acts as liaison to corporate bike donation partners, including companies within the bike industry
• Serves as facility manager in our bike recycling warehouse
• Works cross-departmentally at Bike Works to mentor new bike mechanics and develop youth leadership
• Contributes to the organization’s vision, participates in organization-wide programs, and helps to create a sustainable organizational culture
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
• Two or more years of experience in a bike shop, community bike project, non-profit, or related bike industry organization
• Two or more years of experience supervising staff within the bike industry or in a related field
• Professional-level bike mechanical skills
• Strong communication and leadership skills, with a proven track record of working cooperatively in a team and across departments
• Previous experience designing, implementing, and holding others accountable to organizational systems and work processes
• Enthusiasm for Bike Works’ mission and the ability to motivate others around that mission
• Commitment to youth leadership, sustainable communities and bicycle transportation
• Willingness and ability to work with people from a variety of racial, cultural, religious and economic backgrounds, with various ages, lifestyles, sexual orientations, gender orientations and political beliefs
• Commitment to social justice and environmental sustainability
• Ability to work some evenings and weekends, scheduled in advance
• Driver’s license and ability to pass a driving record check
• Ability to lift bicycles (up to 50 pounds), and load or unload bicycles from containers or vehicles
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
• Energetic, flexible, personable, and a sense of humor
• Ability to write in a clear and concise manner and verbally communicate with people from diverse communities
• Fluency in two or more languages
• Ability to manage time effectively
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Access and internet searching
• Comfort with speaking in front of groups
COMPENSATION: $33,000 to $38,000, depending on experience, plus medical, dental and paid vacation.
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Please visit our website at www.bikeworks.org for more information about Bike Works.
Email your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to email@example.com.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
This position is open until filled. Complete applications received by June 28, 2014 will receive priority consideration.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Bike Works is an Equal Opportunity and queer-friendly employer.