Comments

At BikePortland, we think your comments are just as important as our stories. This page lists all comments made on BikePortland.org, with recent comments at the top.

If you love great comments as much as we do, check out our Comment of the Week column. Please help us find more great ones by simply typing "comment of the week" in a comment.

Return to the Front Page.

1. Comment by Dan A September 25, 2018 @ 10:51 am | Link

I always have to question how these rates are determined. When the chart says "Portlanders Most Common Commutes", is it adding up every commute trip by mode? Or is it defining each road user by their most common mode? Many people travel to work by different modes depending on the day, or they travel by multiple modes, or they work from home.

In response to Bike commute numbers ebb nationwide; in Portland, they're flat Array

2. Comment by Johnny Bye Carter September 25, 2018 @ 10:46 am | Link

At least the 50th project isn't currently diverting drivers onto the Lincoln greenway.

In response to Opinion: Better Naito has ended in the worst way Array

3. Comment by Chris I September 25, 2018 @ 10:45 am | Link

Driving deaths are up, as are walking deaths. I don't know if we have great data on the rates of cycling deaths per VMT in the past few years.

Even if it isn't deadlier out on the roads, I think our bike commutes have become more stressful. Our roads are busier, people are increasingly taking side street routes, and generally driving more aggressively. Personally, I can't wait for the next recession to hit. Hopefully gas prices go up, as well.

4. Comment by John Lascurettes September 25, 2018 @ 10:34 am | Link

Of course some streets are better for pedestrian use only, but the attitude I see here is … focused on finding the areas that are the most congested with cars and turning those lanes into bike lanes.

You're incorrect on multiple accounts. The most congested areas are freeways. Nobody is asking for a bike lane on I-5 or I-84 through the inner city. And the problem with not asking for the most congested surface streets to also accommodate vulnerable roadway users safely is that those same streets are often the most direct a-to-b routes. Additionally those same routes, if given free-reign to autos, cut off neighborhoods from each other and make neighborhoods less livable. It also makes it more unsafe to cross those routes when on foot, bike, or other unshielded conveyance.

In response to The Monday Roundup: Fast women, Vision Zero progress, Trump's tariffs, and more Array

5. Comment by Ed September 25, 2018 @ 10:31 am | Link

Yeah, I've set up the linkage, and it works for me.

Here's a link with instructions: https://help.socialbicycles.com/hc/en-us/articles/208785446-How-to-use-other-smart-cards-RFID-as-your-SoBi-access-card-Android-only-

You need an Android phone with NFC enabled to read the card and get the link set up, but that's a one time thing, so I would imagine iphone users could borrow a friend's.

And just to clarify, this just lets you use the Hop card to identify yourself to the bike; there's no financial link between your Biketown and Hop accounts.

In response to New keypads (finally!) coming to Biketown bikes Array

6. Comment by Johnny Bye Carter September 25, 2018 @ 10:31 am | Link

"We ride to the far right, and then look back over our shoulders when we need to slide left to around a parked car."

Please stop doing this. It's bad behavior (as noted in the DMV cycling handbook) and is more likely to cause you to be hit by a car.

Yes, I know it's uncomfortable having a car RIGHT behind you.

In response to Opinion: Better Naito has ended in the worst way Array

7. Comment by PDXCyclist September 25, 2018 @ 10:22 am | Link

I'm between the interested but concerned group and the "fearless." Even a buffered lane makes me feel better. I don't know if cycling deaths are increasing year over year, but the presence of instantaneous news and twitter has made me more aware of cycling deaths (as in, driver kills a cyclist) and made me more and more reluctant to do things by bike.

Yes, i acknowledge it may be low statistically (chances of dying on a bike), but I also have an immediate family, parents, etc to take care of and take all that into consideration. The bus takes the same amount of time as the bike, but I *feel* safer. You can tell people like me statistics all day, but it's not going to get me bike commuting 5x a week.

I enjoy biking for exercise and continue to do it, but I don't want every commute to be a gamble and for me to arrive at work stressed. FWIW I think Portland does a significantly better job with bike infrastructure/commuting options on the east side than it does in the SW area (and Washington County fails miserably).

Portland and the suburbs will have to invest more in infrastructure if they want me to commute. I don't know if this applies to other people; maybe I'm an outlier. I also think BP's crowd skews towards "fearless." Someone wrote something to the effect of "Better Naito is pointless I feel fine on Naito bike lanes" when Better Naito closed. Well I don't and didn't. I don't want to be a vehicular cyclist.

Better Naito was pivotal to me getting around downtown on my bike and feeling safe. Protected bike lanes are good for fearless riders too, but that's not the target. Their target is people like me. Hopefully more of the dedicated BP readership/commenters consider this when upvoting/downvoting projects and giving feedback.

8. Comment by Phil Richman September 25, 2018 @ 10:15 am | Link

Ed, Have you linked your BikeTown account to your TriMet Hop Card? I can't figure out how this is possible. One of the big flaws of bike sharing has been lack of coordination with the local transit system. In more recent launches often times the transit agency is also a bikeshare sponsor/provider, which seems to make a lot of sense.

In response to New keypads (finally!) coming to Biketown bikes Array

9. Comment by Hello, Kitty September 25, 2018 @ 10:09 am | Link

Dang!

In response to Comment of the Week: E-assist boosterism will be Biketown's demise Array

10. Comment by Johnny Bye Carter September 25, 2018 @ 10:08 am | Link

When I first started using staple racks I thought this was how they were supposed to be used so that you could lock 4 perpendicular bikes to them: 2 on the inside and 2 on the outside. I moved many bikes locked up to staples to this position so that a friend and I could lock another 2 bikes to it.

Don't assume it's use is obvious.

In response to How not to do bike parking Array

11. Comment by Hello, Kitty September 25, 2018 @ 10:08 am | Link

I haven't regularly driven for many years. I do check before a big trip, or when the sensor goes off.

12. Comment by bikeninja September 25, 2018 @ 10:03 am | Link

Like Nuclear Fusion, cheap, non-polluting, high density batteries are 20 years in the future and always will be.

13. Comment by BradWagon September 25, 2018 @ 9:55 am | Link

You don't check your car tire pressure every couple months even when regularly driving it??

14. Comment by BradWagon September 25, 2018 @ 9:54 am | Link

15. Comment by Johnny Bye Carter September 25, 2018 @ 9:54 am | Link

You're right. And that's the point. The built-in racks were so confusing that they had to add standard staple racks so people would actually use the bike parking.

In response to How not to do bike parking Array

16. Comment by Pat September 25, 2018 @ 9:50 am | Link

Seriously!! Has no one seen WALL-E?!

17. Comment by Pat September 25, 2018 @ 9:45 am | Link

A rare "woosh" for Hello Kitty!

18. Comment by Johnny Bye Carter September 25, 2018 @ 9:38 am | Link

And the tariffs are nowhere near high enough.

19. Comment by Johnny Bye Carter September 25, 2018 @ 9:37 am | Link

How will a person who can't afford a cell phone find a ride if there's no central depository?

20. Comment by Johnny Bye Carter September 25, 2018 @ 9:32 am | Link

I don't think anybody expects the future to happen with today's battery technology. We're still using 2000 year old battery tech. Once we make a recent breakthrough in power storage we can move into the next era of energy production.

21. Comment by Johnny Bye Carter September 25, 2018 @ 9:19 am | Link

To be fair he said there was no "personal" insult in the comment. There is that broader wide-ranging insult that you pointed out, though.

22. Comment by Johnny Bye Carter September 25, 2018 @ 9:13 am | Link

When the city offers participation in a city-wide event and nobody in the outer areas participates that says to us that we still have a lot of work in those areas to get people to appreciate alternative transportation.

You seem surprised that nobody in the suburbs wanted to give over a parking space to people.

In response to It's Park(ing) Day in Portland! Array

23. Comment by Johnny Bye Carter September 25, 2018 @ 9:10 am | Link

It's helpful. Annoy people enough and they'll do something else.

I got so annoyed trying to park when I went to NW 23rd that I started busing there from Lloyd Center.

I got so annoyed by drivers in commute traffic that I started taking the train and bus to work. Then I started biking sometimes.

In response to It's Park(ing) Day in Portland! Array

24. Comment by Johnny Bye Carter September 25, 2018 @ 9:07 am | Link

MADD shoved the issue of drunk driving in our faces and it seemed to work a bit.

In response to It's Park(ing) Day in Portland! Array

25. Comment by X September 25, 2018 @ 8:49 am | Link

That's a response to B. Carfree. Love your handle. To the rest of the crowd: could we stop complaining so much about, um, unhoused people on Bike Portland? By percentages they are a huge part of the bike riding public. Nobody has to tell them to ride a little more. I have a definite feeling of kinship with some of the chronic bike tourists that I see. There's a lot that I could learn from them.

They shouldn't be riding your former bikes? Hmmm. Bike theft is one crime where I tend to blame the victim. Shoulda kept your hand on it bro! But then again I've never had a bike stolen, just a trailer, and I recovered that from my alley ranger neighbor. I know at least one person who is in double figures in lost stolen bikes. Why the difference?

Comments