Comments

At BikePortland, we think your comments are just as important as our stories. This page lists all comments made on BikePortland.org, with recent comments at the top.

If you love great comments as much as we do, check out our Comment of the Week column. Please help us find more great ones by simply typing "comment of the week" in a comment.

Return to the Front Page.

1. Comment by Matthew in PDX January 26, 2021 @ 12:56 pm | Link

Meh. I bought my Trek bike from them five years ago and have had most of the servicing done there as well - there is a store near my work so it's convenient to get the servicing done there. I guess it's now a branded dealership, like a Mazda, Ford, Toyota dealership. I suspect we'll see Giant, Cannondale and Specialized dealerships soon - they're all built in Taiwan, possibly at the same factory (at least according to one former BG employee I spoke to).

In response to Bike Gallery owner sells all six Portland stores to Trek Bicycle Corp Array

2. Comment by eawriste January 26, 2021 @ 12:51 pm | Link

In order to remove the cultural assumptions associated with the use of vehicles (since it is so widespread) I try to imagine, as proposed in Crash Course, replacing each of these quotes and behaviors with a slightly different, yet culturally neutral behavior. Replacing "driving" with "moving a piano" might be suitable for some people to see how bizarre our culture looks at, shrugs, and simply accepts car violence. Driving a vehicle should be looked at in the same way as moving a piano. It can easily be done safely, but we choose to accept when a mover wishes to do it carelessly, rapidly and distractedly. Then we state afterward: "Nothing could have been done," or "We just can't prevent people who want to drop pianos," when a pattern of reckless behavior predates the inevitable.

In response to Opinion: Vehicular violence hits home again. We cannot ignore it again. Array

3. Comment by soren January 26, 2021 @ 12:50 pm | Link

I agree with Leah Treat. Vision Zero won't prevent people from choosing to intentionally kill people with ubiquitously available lethal devices (automobile or gun). Other than banning non-commercial automobile ownership entirely* or creating some form of truly draconian "car/gun control", there isn't any kind of easy structural reform that will prevent USAnian mass-murder from occurring.

IMO, USAnian car/gun mass murder is a direct result of the way USAnian society tolerates, enshrines, and promotes violent behavior/ideation. It's a collective and ubiquitous cultural sickness that won't be fixed without a massive cultural upheaval/revolution.

*As long as we create a genuinely equitable transportation system, this has always been and remains my preference.

4. Comment by Peter W January 26, 2021 @ 12:49 pm | Link

> Our enforcement policies need to be better at flagging high-risk drivers. Our mental and public health services need to find at-risk people and give them more support. Our transportation agencies need to fortify our streets by adding more concrete and protected spaces wherever and whenever possible.

+1, but Jonathan perhaps we should add: "less-dangerous 4-wheelers".

Because perhaps vehicles, like SUVs and even rational-sized autos, should not be designed to so easily serve as stand ins for semi automatic weapons. No leader or legislator in Oregon can deny this pattern of vehicular violence, and things like AEB (automatic braking) and pedestrian crash tests exist (in Europe at least), so it's inexcusable that in 2021 you don't have lawmakers addressing the physically dangerous design of "sport" (or other) vehicles on Oregon roads.

5. Comment by Hello, Kitty January 26, 2021 @ 12:44 pm | Link

What was it you were saying about platitudes?

It's also worth noting that this sort of attack has occurred in Germany and France, and perhaps other European states as well. That it hasn't occurred elsewhere means nothing; before yesterday, it hadn't occurred here.

But rather than debate generalities, maybe you could share what particular measures PBOT (or other agencies) should have taken to prevent this.

In response to Intentional vehicular violence in southeast Portland leaves one dead, several injured Array

6. Comment by Nyle January 26, 2021 @ 12:36 pm | Link

Fortunately, he didn't have a gun.

7. Comment by eawriste January 26, 2021 @ 12:34 pm | Link

When the problems that we face concerning road violence are entirely solvable based on methods used in other countries and in this, that interpretation either rests on ignorance or supporting the status quo.

8. Comment by Middle of the Road Guy January 26, 2021 @ 12:25 pm | Link

Looking at the video, it was several of them.

9. Comment by Middle of the Road Guy January 26, 2021 @ 12:24 pm | Link

I am interpreting this as a discussion between Idealism and Pragmatism.

10. Comment by hamiramani January 26, 2021 @ 12:24 pm | Link

Thank you for the information regarding the vigil.

11. Comment by Hello, Kitty January 26, 2021 @ 12:22 pm | Link

Justice for all… including police officers.

I absolutely agree. There are many steps before trial that every case goes through to determine if there is enough evidence to move forward, but a prosecutor should definitely be looking at this (and I expect one is).

In response to The Monday Roundup: 'Doughnut city', unhinged cops, B2V, and more Array

12. Comment by citylover January 26, 2021 @ 12:20 pm | Link

FYI this section of Stark has speed bumps

13. Comment by citylover January 26, 2021 @ 12:19 pm | Link

I wanted to let folks know that a vigil is planned tonight at 5pm for the victims of the vehicle attack yesterday. It will be at the field adjacent to Buckman Elementary (SE 19th and Stark). As a Buckman Elementary parent/Kerns resident I hope to see you there.

14. Comment by CDaniel January 26, 2021 @ 12:18 pm | Link

Bummer to hear because I like variety. Bought a high end Orbea from them over 10yrs ago and found out they dropped the brand several years later. In my recent visits I've noticed more and more Trek and Trek-branded gear. When talking to the staff they basically said Trek was what kept them afloat.

15. Comment by citylover January 26, 2021 @ 12:17 pm | Link

Thank you for this: "I refuse to be afraid of our streets." While it is hard to harness this today, as pedestrians and cyclists we can't cede these spaces where we have a right to be. I go over what I've taught my kids about safety now that they go out on their own biking and walking and are still young. 1) never cross mid-block 2) even if you have the walk signal don't assume traffic is stopping, someone might make a right turn, run the light etc. 3) make eye contact with drivers so you know you have been seen. I redouble the effort to follow these common sense rules myself.

My family lives near Buckman Elementary. I wanted to let folks know that a vigil is planned tonight at 5pm for the victims of the vehicle attack yesterday. It will be at the field adjacent to Buckman Elementary (SE 19th and Stark). As many know, two victims were biking and the rest were walking.

16. Comment by Hello, Kitty January 26, 2021 @ 12:14 pm | Link

I reread it. What was your point? You talk about "changes to infrastructure" and "designing streets differently". Did you mean an incremental approach of designing streets differently when we rebuild them anyway?

17. Comment by joan January 26, 2021 @ 12:14 pm | Link

This is particularly disappointing given Trek's program to supply police departments with bicycles, which cops have used in brutal ways against protesters. I won't be shopping at Bike Gallery anymore. At least one other manufacturer, Fuji, cancelled their contracts with police departments last summer. Trek has not. There's some suggestion they've retaliated against their unpaid women advocates who raised concerns.

I don't want Trek owning stores in our town, and I certainly won't be shopping at Bike Gallery anymore. Trek has blood on their hands.

18. Comment by D'Andre Muhammed January 26, 2021 @ 12:10 pm | Link

I was minding my business in a bike lane one day and admittedly probably a little far left in the bike lane. I was honked at by some young woman in a Prius with a "COEXIST" sticker on the rear bumper. What really was the icing on the cake was her putting her hands up and clearly mouthing "WTF?" as she drove by me. Remember people, COEXIST. Whatever. Peace.

19. Comment by hamiramani January 26, 2021 @ 12:09 pm | Link

Bravo, Jonathan. Powerful and accurate. Your editorial represents my sentiments exactly.

And, yes, more people *will* die if our leaders continue to fail at their work to keep us ALL safe.

20. Comment by eawriste January 26, 2021 @ 12:07 pm | Link

"We simply will not rebuild our streets to the degree where this sort of thing becomes impossible." HK I think you've completely missed my point. Perhaps reread.

21. Comment by citylover January 26, 2021 @ 12:04 pm | Link

So lame. They are playing to their audience, I guess. KOIN is reporting that PPB investigators say the attack was not terrorism or politically motivated-- how could they possibly know this at this time? Doesn't there need to be a full investigation?

22. Comment by Brandon January 26, 2021 @ 12:03 pm | Link

Fair enough, then this officer should be tried for attempted manslaughter and allowed to prove the case that his life was in danger, in court. It's the same excuse every time, from every officer, because they know it works and their union will back them up. Fear is subjective, and can be used as an excuse in almost any circumstance, credibility of that fear should be determined by a judge and jury.

Justice for all... including police officers.

23. Comment by NAte gibson January 26, 2021 @ 12:03 pm | Link

The suspect's info has been released, he was a WA resident.

24. Comment by Mike Quigley January 26, 2021 @ 12:01 pm | Link

On his way out of town Trump ordered his followers to use their imagination to "create chaos." One can't help but think incidents like this, plus today's internet outage in the northeast caused by an intentionally cut cable are just the start.

25. Comment by Bob R. January 26, 2021 @ 11:56 am | Link

Back on August 29th, KGW's Pat Dooris played footage of pro-Trump protestors in vehicles charging at pedestrians (mostly BLM protestors) in a crosswalk. The pedestrians clearly had a walk signal and every legal right to be crossing the street. Pat Dooris characterized this on-air as "protestors blocking traffic". I happen to know a producer at KGW and I messaged him about it. His response was that conservatives complain that Pat is too liberal. So I guess that means the coverage was fair and balanced. To my knowledge, KGW has never issued a correction or apology for portraying pedestrians getting run into by vehicles while having the walk signal as somehow responsible for the violence.

Comments