Comments

At BikePortland, we think your comments are just as important as our stories. This page lists all comments made on BikePortland.org, with recent comments at the top.

If you love great comments as much as we do, check out our Comment of the Week column. Please help us find more great ones by simply typing "comment of the week" in a comment.

Return to the Front Page.

1. Comment by soren (sorin) January 14, 2022 @ 9:49 am | Link

I don't wear bike helmets.

In response to Warm hands, happy rider: An overview of winter gloves Array

2. Comment by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) January 14, 2022 @ 9:36 am | Link

Right. And my intention in leaving that comment is to remind folks that I don't have an unlimited budget to just hire everyone to cover every angle of everything. Let's realize that not every piece of content we publish will be for every type of bike rider. It's also important for folks to keep in mind that BikePortland readers come from an extremely diverse set of viewpoints! I'm trying to give people from all types of backgrounds something they can relate to on a daily basis. On that note, I'll definitely try to feature more types of products from other reviewers. If you'd like to see more reviews and more voices here, one great way to make it happen is to support us with a financial contribution and/or become a subscriber.

BikePortland offerings are only limited by our budget. We can do so much more with more support. Thanks!

3. Comment by Jim Chasse January 14, 2022 @ 9:14 am | Link

Thanks for the video Jonathon. You'll notice the difference between the 2 projects as there are no paved shoulders, or sidewalks on Everett. East Portland has many contrasting neighborhoods like this making it very difficult to design projects that are fluid and intuitive for all modes. Thanks PBOT.

In response to Video: A closer look at PBOT's three new roundabouts on NE 108th Array

4. Comment by Granpa January 14, 2022 @ 9:04 am | Link

Fair enough. Josh sees cycling through his lens and I see cycling through mine l . Both are valid

5. Comment by Oliver S January 14, 2022 @ 8:58 am | Link

I biked-through for a scheduled PCR test at a Walgreens on Outer Halsey in August 2021. No issues. I'm a white cismale, for what it's worth.

In response to Ask BikePortland: Can I use my bike at a Covid testing drive-thru site? Array

6. Comment by Fred January 14, 2022 @ 8:53 am | Link

Granpa, methinks thou doth protest too much. I'm no elite cyclist and my longest winter rides are rarely longer than three hours, yet cold hands are a serious problem for me, even at temps around 40. I've been looking for a cold-weather glove that works in Portland's wet wet climate for years, so I'm really grateful for this post.

7. Comment by TheCat January 14, 2022 @ 8:49 am | Link

A missed opportunity to put plants in the center - so much ugly paving.

8. Comment by Fred January 14, 2022 @ 8:48 am | Link

I recommend you get a turn signal for your helmet. There are a lot of 'em on the market, including ones that are integrated into the helmet flasher.

9. Comment by Fred January 14, 2022 @ 8:47 am | Link

I think wool socks are always your best bet: your socks are gonna get wet anyway (from within and without), so you may as well have the best chance of keeping as much heat as you can. Those medieval shepherds knew something about staying warm in the wet and cold weather.

10. Comment by Fred January 14, 2022 @ 8:44 am | Link

Thanks for this outstanding review of winter gloves. I recently acquired some Xincshow (or Xingshow) gloves, made in China. They are supposed to keep your hands warm even when wet, but my experience of using them during the very cold week between Christmas and New Year's was very similar to yours: once your hands get wet inside the gloves, it's pretty much game over. I hadn't thought about carrying several pairs of gloves (to change into a dry pair) so I'll try that next time.

11. Comment by Jim Chasse January 14, 2022 @ 8:38 am | Link

Heavy Sigh....
    On one hand I'm grateful for the 100,s finally starting to be built after being funded for almost 8 years.
    On the other hand, it won't be connected to the Bush greenway until Outer Powell Blvd. is completed at the southern end. 2025 to be exact.
    I'd encourage folks to ride this route and see some of the other improvements to the north around Halsey.
    This route will connect you to The Outer Rim bike shop on Halsey and 106th. They moved across street. This is the only bike shop east of I-205.
    I've been riding this route, or parts of it, for 15 years. Thank you PBOT.

12. Comment by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) January 14, 2022 @ 8:28 am | Link

Hi Granpa,

Where was Josh dismissive of inexpensive gear? I think he's been open about what type of riding he likes to do and why he focuses on certain types of products and not others.

13. Comment by Granpa January 14, 2022 @ 7:55 am | Link

For every rider who is spending 7 hours in 32 degree rain, there are probably 50 riders who ride in 40 degree showers for a couple of hours or less. Our gear should fit the need. Being dismissive of inexpensive, functional products effectively disregards the needs of a good portion of this blog’s readership

14. Comment by Serenity January 13, 2022 @ 11:50 pm | Link

If the intent was to show where the left turn lane began, wouldn't a dashed line go a long way towards that goal?.

In response to ODOT installs plastic curbs and posts at deadly NE 82nd and Alberta crossing Array

15. Comment by FDUP January 13, 2022 @ 10:21 pm | Link

Mountable curbs ARE safer for cyclists; that's not what makes the design absurd.

16. Comment by Kyle Banerjee January 13, 2022 @ 9:34 pm | Link

I used to regularly ride for hours in temps way below freezing. Gloves are just the wrong tool for the job if it's truly cold, though they're probably fine if you're not out that long.

I switch to lobster mitts once the temps get sufficiently low, the mid 20's for me. At some point, adding chemical warmers helps.

Note that fixing flats and other simple tasks become way harder when you can't feel your fingers and plastic things become brittle.

Trying to keep hands dry is a waste of time. Normal riding position sends water towards your hands, and the same magic that keeps water out also traps water in your gloves.

I've been a GoreTex product tester for 14 years and while I swear by some of their stuff, I neither use nor recommend waterproof gloves for cycling.

17. Comment by FDUP January 13, 2022 @ 9:28 pm | Link

Another POS 'experimental' installation by PBOT, is anyone surprised??!??

This belongs in a museum of the absurd, and not out on the street!

18. Comment by qqq January 13, 2022 @ 9:03 pm | Link

I appreciate the focus in the article and especially the video about how these work (or don't) for people walking.

With no roundabouts, vehicles could stay in the middle of the street, leaving the edges for people walking. With them, vehicles are forced to the edge of the street, and people walking are forced off the pavement and into the mud if they don't want to be run over.

It's such a contrast to the recently reviewed Lincoln/Harrison changes, which took the opposite approach (I know the situations are different) of widening the pedestrian edges by pushing vehicles INTO the center of the road. That one looked like designers gave some thought to people walking along and across the streets.

Your comment about this functioning differently in real life than how it may have looked on a drawing seems to sum it up perfectly.

19. Comment by Serenity January 13, 2022 @ 8:49 pm | Link

Did someone say poorly designed and installed concrete would not be a bonafide hazard for cyclists?

20. Comment by tom Martin January 13, 2022 @ 7:22 pm | Link

Another significant issue is the peak acceleration at this stretch of 82nd. When driving a motor vehicle it's real easy to not lift your foot off the accelerator as it's a clear, fast wide stretch of roadway while coming off a decline from the north, and from the south you need to give it some gas to get up the upcoming hill in order to maintain your speed. So, there needs to be other traffic calming devices before motor vehicles enter this space.

And the lighting! There is zero pedestrian lighting on 82nd, like the rest of Portland. This is a very dark city in general; It's dangerous for people who bike, walk, and roll.

21. Comment by Serenity January 13, 2022 @ 7:16 pm | Link

3 lanes would be vastly safer for pedestrians than 4 or 5 lanes in a lot of places. It would still functional for motorists, but you know how loud those poor motorists scream when they lose even the tiniest bit of space.

22. Comment by Betsy Reese January 13, 2022 @ 7:00 pm | Link

I'm sorry that Bar Mitts don't match your bicycling outfit, but glad that you mentioned and linked to them. They are a total game-changer for riding in wind, rain, and cold. And, they're cheaper than any of the gloves you reviewed.

23. Comment by Serenity January 13, 2022 @ 6:52 pm | Link

I thought the bike infrastructure roll was still going too, Cathy. Public transit & cycling are really the main reasons I moved to Portland. I have bee n disappointed.

In response to Podcast: Veteran advocate and new Portlander Cathy Tuttle Array

24. Comment by Josh Ross (Contributor) January 13, 2022 @ 6:13 pm | Link

Yeah, the trainer is definitely a valid way to handle the situation. I've been doing 100 miles every weekend for the last few months and it's tough to do 7 hours on the trainer. Not impossible, I've done it before, but tough to do all the time. I definitely spend time on the trainer during the week though.

25. Comment by Josh Ross (Contributor) January 13, 2022 @ 6:07 pm | Link

On a rapha festive 500 ride in 2019 I was following a couple and when the rain got really bad they pulled out pink dish gloves that matched all their rapha gear. It was pretty epic.

Comments