Comments

At BikePortland, we think your comments are just as important as our stories. This page lists all comments made on BikePortland.org, with recent comments at the top.

If you love great comments as much as we do, check out our Comment of the Week column. Please help us find more great ones by simply typing "comment of the week" in a comment.

Return to the Front Page.

1. Comment by Hello, Kitty September 21, 2018 @ 7:07 pm | Link

"Hi Temporary PBOT Director, this is Marshall from Commissioner Eudaly's office. We're getting a lot of calls about Better Naito, and we'd like you to just leave it up this year, at least until we get things sorted. Yes, we'll be in touch. Ok, thanks!"

2. Comment by Hello, Kitty September 21, 2018 @ 6:57 pm | Link

You may not, but many on the PSC do.

In response to Planning Commission finds 'missing middle,' votes for more housing citywide Array

3. Comment by David Hampsten September 21, 2018 @ 6:45 pm | Link

You are blaming the wrong people. True, part of the job of the transportation commissioner is to take the blame for his or her agency's mistakes or failures, but even if she was a seasoned pro, she doesn't actually run PBOT any more than the mayor or governor does. The director of PBOT is nominally in control, but it's actually the section chiefs and their immediate underlings who run their subdivisions within the bureau semi-autonomously. PBOT is and always has been a bit of a mess since it was formed in 1988 - nobody's really in charge.

Chances are, when Better Naito was implemented earlier this year, someone at PBOT put in an advance work-order to maintenance to remove everything at such-and-such a date, and a maintenance supervisor had a crew available to do it a day early, so they went ahead and did it with the best of intentions to save taxpayer money by doing it early rather than behind schedule. S__t happens, even at PBOT.

4. Comment by Daniel September 21, 2018 @ 6:16 pm | Link

True, but had the slightly updated closure date been made public a few weeks ago, this would have been just a minor annoyance and not something that risked peoples' lives. I'd be really curious as to whether Runkel knew that this might happen, and if so why he didn't share it with the folks who use Better Naito when he came to the BikeLoud rally on Tuesday night.

I'll be honest - I try not to jump on the bandwagon with all the folks who *really* dislike Eudaly for whatever reason, but I also don't see any evidence that she has any real interest in cycling as transportation. Her statements on the topic have been equivocating at best, usually tend to divert the conversation to other subjects that she cares more about, and I'm not sure why BikePortland continually assumes she will be any kind of advocate for improved cycling infrastructure.

My guess is that this is indicative of PBOT's approach to come - lip service toward bike commuting when it's easy to do, and a steady reprioritization away from projects that support it. I hope I'm wrong, I really like a lot of the projects included in the CCIM plan and I want to see them built!

5. Comment by maccoinnich September 21, 2018 @ 6:16 pm | Link

I don't appreciate you implying that I support the residential infill project because I stand to make some kind of financial gain from it. I don't.

6. Comment by Scott Kocher September 21, 2018 @ 5:53 pm | Link

Luckily I noticed the cars before I swung from the Waterfront into the (non) Better Naito lane near NW Couch this morning, but it reminded me of one of the worst scares of my life. One beautiful sunny Sunday last summer I was with a small group enjoying the end of the day at Sunday Parkways. Not many folks were left and somehow we ended up being one block off the SP route without realizing it. One of the kids in our group was a few bike lengths ahead and went thru what none of us realized was cross traffic coming full speed through the next intersection. I can't even begin to imagine.

7. Comment by rick September 21, 2018 @ 5:50 pm | Link

Horrible

8. Comment by dwk September 21, 2018 @ 5:46 pm | Link

People are lazy, gas is cheap...
    'Sharing" transportation (which is a joke) , like Uber, E-scooters and all the other venture capital funded disasters are contributing to the lower cycling numbers yet are constantly praised by comments here (like yours) and by this site in general.
    Care to look in the mirror?

9. Comment by Charley September 21, 2018 @ 5:44 pm | Link

Except...
    Such a redeveloped lot could effectively house 2 families living in the 2-plex, whereas only one family would be housed in that lot as-is. The value of the property overall may increase, but the cost to any one renter or buyer would decrease, because, if this happens all over the city, there'd be more housing to choose from. More housing = better market for buyers/renters.

The migrants are moving here, are they not? Are we going to just ask them to sardine themselves into existing 800 square foot bungalows like mine? I understand the urge to maintain and save older buildings, but I think that urge puts the values of an old building over the values of keeping our growing population housed. Do we really want to become San Francisco?

10. Comment by HJ September 21, 2018 @ 5:20 pm | Link

It's danger. I know more and more bike racers, the craziest, most skilled portion of the cycling community, who are refusing to ride on the roads here any more. Because it's gotten so hazardous. For myself I'm finding I'll ride on the road less and less, because the # of close calls keeps going up and nothing is being done to address it. Jonathan mentions enforcement... Where? I don't see it. Of course up here in the hills there's literally never been any enforcement. At least not in my 34yrs. We've actually got a pretty hot Nextdoor thread going about that.
    Even the rich people want changes. I have the dubious pleasure of living in an old neighborhood in the hills where all the rich folks moved to. Everyone here wants sidewalks and bike lanes. Everyone is pissed off about how dangerous the roads are. How bad drivers have gotten. How even when we beg the cops to come enforce the laws of the road they won't.
    For my own commuting the bike just got removed as an option thanks to an incredibly idiotic striping move with a construction project on Miller Rd near Barnes that makes the worst spot on my commute even worse. My alternative option is to ride Cornell home. No thanks.
    So yeah, danger. Y'know, that whole ingrained drive to not die.

11. Comment by Columbo September 21, 2018 @ 5:09 pm | Link

And they stick the "independent contractors" who recharge their devices with the electric bill. Classic #wreckshare

In response to New keypads (finally!) coming to Biketown bikes Array

12. Comment by bikeninja September 21, 2018 @ 4:22 pm | Link

This needs to be a reminder to us that no matter how much progress we have made ,the forces of darkness lurk in the shadows ready to take back what they think is theirs and return us to a time when cyclists knew their place. A time when those on two wheels cowered in the ditches and demanded nothing. They won't easily accept that their time is over, and we must keep our guard up to stave off cheap shots like this.

13. Comment by Jim Lee September 21, 2018 @ 4:19 pm | Link

Clicky Freewheel
    Since when is a family making over $100,000/year considered rich? With the cost of living getting higher, a dual income of $100,000 doesn’t buy much nowadays.Recommended 1

$100 k yearly is very large money by anyone's standards.

I never have had a family, live in a small shared house, ride TriMet and a nice fixie--on $10 K a year Social Security.

By the way , high dual incomes are a vast social problem, concentrating wealth as they inevitably do, and are the primary cause of "homelessness".

14. Comment by Daniel September 21, 2018 @ 4:17 pm | Link

In fact, their own blog post just prior to announcing the "accidental" early removal of Better Naito pretty much confirms that they needed to poach people this weekend to work on a different project: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/article/698399

So according to PBOT's own post, they announced on the 20th (the day Better Naito gets "accidentally" removed early) that they would suddenly be closing SE 50th to complete that much overdue project this weekend. PBOT's project page for SE 50th even says "PBOT is diverting most of its resources – both financial and staff - to complete the paving before the end of September at the latest".

I'd understand it if needing to divert resources away from the Better Naito removal due to a higher-priority project meant that Better Naito got left in place for longer, and I'd also understand if it at least had been communicated about prior to making an emergency change. Instead, PBOT clearly made a really dangerous decision in order to meet other commitments, and then pretended like it was an accident.

15. Comment by Jim Lee September 21, 2018 @ 4:07 pm | Link

"...awkward, poisonous, and dangerous..."

YES! YES! YES!

In response to It's Park(ing) Day in Portland! Array

16. Comment by Hello, Kitty September 21, 2018 @ 4:01 pm | Link

I'd be more convinced if the data showed that people who in Portland tend to drive more and bike less. Gross statistical generalizations do not always paint an accurate picture of what's happening on a micro scale in specific locations.

We are seeing cycling rates creep down, and I'd like to know why. Maybe it's "rich people", maybe it's Uber.

17. Comment by i-765 UNIT September 21, 2018 @ 3:54 pm | Link

FWIW, i rode thru it at approx 3am this morning--all was intact. i encountered 4 cop cars and a fire truck, lights blazing after they apprehended a "thief" who had tried to escape them by bike. i also encountered 3 streetcleaner trucks.
    very eventful 3 block section!
    but otherwise the wands were all still very present.

18. Comment by Jim Lee September 21, 2018 @ 3:52 pm | Link

Bromptons for all!

In response to How not to do bike parking Array

19. Comment by Clicky Freewheel September 21, 2018 @ 3:45 pm | Link

Since when is a family making over $100,000/year considered rich? With the cost of living getting higher, a dual income of $100,000 doesn't buy much nowadays.

20. Comment by soren September 21, 2018 @ 3:45 pm | Link

Bike mode share in Portland has dropped 13% since 2014 (7.2, 7.0, 6.3, 6.3) according to Census 1 year estimates.

21. Comment by Bert September 21, 2018 @ 3:43 pm | Link

If by "campaigning on transportation issues" you mean throwing a hissy fit at the 11th hour when she found out her disabled son wouldn't be able to use Biketown, then sure. In fact, every thing Eudaly has campaigned for seems to be for her own personal gain masquerating as social justice nonsense. If you think Eudaly has any political agenda other than ruining everyone she believed has wronged her in the past, you'd be mistaken.

22. Comment by dwk September 21, 2018 @ 3:40 pm | Link

Your response did not refute one thing that John wrote except you did not like him attacking your blog....
    His criticism of the venture capital toys that are deposited like garbage around the city is completely valid. You seem to imply there is no problem with it, hey lets just fling crap around and see what works?
    A really poor way of planning and executing anything and the e-scooter debacle shows why.
    The public is ready to throw them all in the river.

In response to New keypads (finally!) coming to Biketown bikes Array

23. Comment by soren September 21, 2018 @ 3:39 pm | Link

Census data shows that wealthier people (in Portland and other cities) tend to drive the most and bike the least.

These are some very stiff demographic headwinds:

Portland 2017: 42.4% of families make over $100,000 (in 2005 dollars)

Portland 2005: 22.6% of families made over $100,000

24. Comment by Chris I September 21, 2018 @ 3:39 pm | Link

If I biked with my kids to this Kaiser location, how would I lock up my 7ft long Big Dummy? Those staples look like the only way I could get something to work.

In response to How not to do bike parking Array

25. Comment by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) September 21, 2018 @ 3:36 pm | Link

Yes. I agree. It looks really bad.

Comments