Comments

At BikePortland, we think your comments are just as important as our stories. This page lists all comments made on BikePortland.org, with recent comments at the top.

If you love great comments as much as we do, check out our Comment of the Week column. Please help us find more great ones by simply typing "comment of the week" in a comment.

Return to the Front Page.

1. Comment by paikiala January 14, 2022 @ 1:54 pm | Link

You're not really paying PBOT much of anything. Your critiques focus on maintenance, but I suspect you'd also complain if nothing new was ever built, i.e., all revenues spent on just maintenance. Start a lobby to double the budget, see how far you get.

In response to Video: A closer look at PBOT's three new roundabouts on NE 108th Array

2. Comment by paikiala January 14, 2022 @ 1:51 pm | Link

slack jaw, not saying much. It appears you have no actual road design experience since none of your critique points to any technical flaws. BTW, mini-roundabouts are quite common in Europe, sometimes just paint on the ground.

3. Comment by paikiala January 14, 2022 @ 1:47 pm | Link

Not that you know much about road design...
    Mini roundabouts are less common in North America, but frequently used in the UK. Their footprint is smaller, making them suitable for retrofit situations with right of way constraints (and lower cost). They are also commonly used where truck U-turns are not needed, so achieve all the safety benefits of compact modern roundabouts at a much lower cost. They are all truck apron, and in the UK are sometimes just paint on the road.

4. Comment by paikiala January 14, 2022 @ 1:44 pm | Link

Fire trucks are not the only trucks that need to access the neighborhood. Mini-roundabouts are designed to be driven over by larger vehicles, think garbage trucks, delivery vehicles, the person with a boat or trailer, moving and delivery vans.

5. Comment by Upton Sinclair January 14, 2022 @ 1:37 pm | Link

It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

In response to Leaders of I-5 expansion projects sound off at Portland Business Alliance forum Array

6. Comment by Boyd January 14, 2022 @ 1:16 pm | Link

Yeah, when the surface layer material of Gore Tex fabric wets out, moisture will eventually get wicked through the membrane. Even though you could spray a hose at a Gore Tex membrane without any water getting through, that doesn't mean that it will still keep protecting you when the garment is totally saturated. And if you are sweating a lot in high output aerobic activity, your sweat will accumulate faster than it can evaporate through the fabric. So you end up getting moisture coming from both sides, eventually.

In response to Warm hands, happy rider: An overview of winter gloves Array

7. Comment by cmh89 January 14, 2022 @ 1:16 pm | Link

“What ODOT has done here is they have positioned themselves to award what will end up being the largest contract that a Black-owned civil construction firm has ever been awarded on the West Coast. Now just let that sit with you… There’s a great opportunity in front of us not only showcase how this region is investing in equity in ways that other places on this side of the country have not, but to also show how we’re actually walking our talk as it relates to environmental stewardship…

The amount of doublethink here is amazing. Doing a by-the-book, old school freeway expansion is supposed to showcase that we're actually 'walking our talk as it relates to environmental stewardship'...what?

I do love the 'Black-owned business' piece of this though, its beautifully cynical and politically calculating. Making some rich guy even more rich is somehow a benefit of this program? Are we supposed to believe that making a wealthy Black person more wealthy is somehow supposed benefit the Black community as a whole? Equitable distribution of contracts should be a by-product of a project, not a selling feature. I guess they gotta pull on the heartstrings of Portlands 'concerned but uninterested' majority who only take the bus when its to attend the climate march.

8. Comment by cmh89 January 14, 2022 @ 1:09 pm | Link

It's this cool new thing neolibs invented where you just get to pretend that electric cars and AI will solve all problems so there is no need to change anything about our society.

Simpson is perfectly happy to let some poor indengenous people in Argentina get poisoned as long as he can sit 10 lanes of traffic jam, but in his electric car.

9. Comment by qqq January 14, 2022 @ 12:37 pm | Link

I just read your earlier article about this, which includes a conceptual drawing of the Everett circles:

Two things strike me: First, even in the concept sketch, it's clear how vehicles are forced so far to the edge of the street that there's no room for people walking. Second, the comments predict exactly the same problems that you and the neighbor mention in the video about drivers not going through correctly, and conflicts with pedestrians. I wanted to mention some of the most prescient commenters, but there are too many.

10. Comment by Preston Crawford January 14, 2022 @ 12:33 pm | Link

I’m just seeing this article years after the fact and wanted to add something in case someone else ever stumbles on it. In 2008 I was hit by a car on Milikan heading eastbound towards Murray. A car coming the other direction on Milikan turned left into me while racing to get to work at what was formerly Stream. Milikan at that point should actually have a protected lane.

In response to A closer look at cycling on Millikan Way in Beaverton Array

11. Comment by SD January 14, 2022 @ 12:31 pm | Link

Simpson and Johnson have the directive to move these projects through. They have no incentive to critically evaluate the consequences. Their convictions are hollow talking points that don't stand up to scrutiny. They will justify the harm and waste of these projects by saying they were "just doing their job" or "if they didn't do it, someone else would have." This lack of integrity has created our current transportation system disasters and will take us all the way to environmental collapse.

12. Comment by Josh Ross (Contributor) January 14, 2022 @ 12:24 pm | Link

Seems like a bummer. I'm genuinly curious, why is it such a drag?

In response to Warm hands, happy rider: An overview of winter gloves Array

13. Comment by Josh Ross (Contributor) January 14, 2022 @ 12:22 pm | Link

I had a fascinating conversation with Gore related to my review of their gloves. They absolutely guaranteed that they were fully waterproof and wanted to see the gloves if not. Getting to the bottom of it, the membrane was guaranteed waterproof but the glove would still end up soaking wet. I've yet to meet a glove that keeps hands dry so it is what it is.

In response to Warm hands, happy rider: An overview of winter gloves Array

14. Comment by Alex January 14, 2022 @ 12:21 pm | Link

Nothing is better than putting on a pair of fresh, warm gloves on a cold, wet ride.

In response to Warm hands, happy rider: An overview of winter gloves Array

15. Comment by Alex January 14, 2022 @ 12:12 pm | Link

I have a set of dissent 133 gloves and really like them. It's a layered approach to gloves and I think pretty effective. Putting on 2 warm layers and waterproof layer on top of that has kept my hands warm on most of my really cold road rides.

In response to Warm hands, happy rider: An overview of winter gloves Array

16. Comment by Josh Ross (Contributor) January 14, 2022 @ 12:11 pm | Link

It's the only thing I've ever really found that works. Plan for a new pair every two hours.

In response to Warm hands, happy rider: An overview of winter gloves Array

17. Comment by Josh Ross (Contributor) January 14, 2022 @ 12:09 pm | Link

Just a little joke to lighten the mood. I try not to take myself, or my riding, too seriously.

In response to Warm hands, happy rider: An overview of winter gloves Array

18. Comment by Josh Ross (Contributor) January 14, 2022 @ 12:07 pm | Link

Glad to help. I said it another comment but I think the one piece of advice I'd give is to find a pair of gloves on sale and buy multiple pairs. Swap every couple of hours and you are good.

In response to Warm hands, happy rider: An overview of winter gloves Array

19. Comment by Josh Ross (Contributor) January 14, 2022 @ 12:04 pm | Link

I apologize if that came off as dismissive. Not my intention. I realize that most people don't do the kind of riding I do. My hope is that when I put a product to the test in a more extreme way that then applies back to those who use them in less demanding situations. In this case, if I can find a glove that keeps me warm for 7 hours when it's 32 and raining it's going to be a good glove that I can whole heartadly recommend for more common 3ish hour rides when it's a bit warmer and a bit less rainy. As far as I see the market, most of these gloves are kind of the same and that's confusing for people. Everyone wants to know if they should spend their money on this glove or that. Then when they make a choice they find it fails and they think maybe they should have bought the other one. Having used all of them, it doesn't much matter. I do think most people who ride for a few hours, or more, in the winter should have at least one pair of this type of glove but there's no need to obsess. Look for the one that you find on sale and if you want to ride for more than 2-3 hours then buy a few pairs.

In response to Warm hands, happy rider: An overview of winter gloves Array

20. Comment by Alex January 14, 2022 @ 11:40 am | Link

Process does not equal politics. It's hard for me to keep listening when someone says and believes "time is money". Time is worth so much more than money and I would like to have my time spent on the earth be sustainable and the best experience possible.

I don't want to see more cars sitting in congestion, I would prefer to see trains and buses moving through the area at high speeds. If some cars are sitting in a bit of congestion, that's honestly fine with me. If we are truly thinking about the community first, I hope they are putting the environment first and increasing the transportation density.

While I don't love process (especially what has been going on in Portland), I also don't want to just see billions of dollars of work being done that isn't well thought through. And we absolutely need to align on politics, because if we don't do that, the community will continue to not have a voice and to get overrun by the rich and powerful who profit at the expense of the community and planet. We need better engagement, not less or more.

21. Comment by zuckerdog January 14, 2022 @ 11:29 am | Link

What does "sustainable economical development" mean to a lay person?
    Asking for a friend

22. Comment by SolarEclipse January 14, 2022 @ 10:56 am | Link

Wow, can't PBOT ever be consistent in what they do? It's almost as if every engineer does their own thing, that ever project is an "experiment." Of course when it's a failure they can just point out that is was an "experiment" and shrug their shoulders.
    We send these people, though admittedly mostly politicians and higher ups, on expensive vacation junkets to Europe to see how they do things and yet, have they EVER implemented any European ideas? Or is it once again, come back, form a committee, and take 2 - 3 years to come to a consensus?
    I moved to Portland back in the 80s and to my naive eyes I thought it was a great town. But, boy, the past 5 - 10 years has really opened my eyes at how dysfunctional Portland really is and that is very sad.

23. Comment by Frank S. January 14, 2022 @ 10:12 am | Link

You get what you vote for. Crime pays in PDX.

In response to Vancouver Boy Scouts troop asks for help finding stolen mountain bikes Array

24. Comment by Kyle Banerjee January 14, 2022 @ 10:07 am | Link

I use their stuff for winter paddling. The curved fingers are good for grip.

They're fine for normal winter weather here and are great for cold rain. I wouldn't use them for serious cold though they'd probably be good even then for commuting distances.

For cold wet stuff, neoprene is my favorite. It's effective, reasonably durable, and functions well when damaged. It's a miserable material to wear if it's not cold, and it's also bulky/heavy so it's not as great if you have to be in conditions that change significantly.

In response to Warm hands, happy rider: An overview of winter gloves Array

25. Comment by soren (sorin) January 14, 2022 @ 9:55 am | Link

...jeopardizing being able to ride when it is actually enjoyable.

I almost never ride a bike because it's enjoyable. For me transportation cycling is a daily chore like hand-washing dishes or vacuuming.

In response to Warm hands, happy rider: An overview of winter gloves Array