Comments

At BikePortland, we think your comments are just as important as our stories. This page lists all comments made on BikePortland.org, with recent comments at the top.

If you love great comments as much as we do, check out our Comment of the Week column. Please help us find more great ones by simply typing "comment of the week" in a comment.

Return to the Front Page.

1. Comment by Kyle Banerjee January 26, 2021 @ 3:32 pm | Link

I don't think it rises to that level.

One thing I always keep in mind is that presuming sanity is not a good idea. For example, I have calculated that roughly 1 out of 100,000 motorists I encounter acts with hostility towards me.

By definition, this puts the one motorist in an elite category -- something must be very different about them. Likewise, his obsession with getting people to out themselves is incredibly rare. I've been goofing off in online forums since we were logging into to DOS based systems on 300 baud modems and I've never encountered this before -- also putting him in an elite category.

If the dude is mental, he deserves our compassion 🙂 Even if I don't think much of his tactics, I ultimately think he means well.

In response to Intentional vehicular violence in southeast Portland leaves one dead, several injured Array

2. Comment by hamiramani January 26, 2021 @ 3:24 pm | Link

Understood. Government's job is to keep us safe. They ought to do it by implementing infrastructure that aspires to that. Drivers certainly should be slowed and streets calmed through diversions and other means. Everything in society is about trade-offs. The problem is that vulnerable road users have been at the deadly end of those trade-offs for far too long.

In response to Opinion: Vehicular violence hits home again. We cannot ignore it again. Array

3. Comment by eawriste January 26, 2021 @ 3:24 pm | Link

I am not a politician/bureaucrat (nor do I ever want to be), but personally I suggest writing to your representatives at local and state levels particularly, and asking to: 1) Follow the heirarchy of evidence (including international studies) in all policy and street design 2) Remove parking and build a network of physically separated bike lanes 3) Install an ubiquitous system of traffic cameras under a behaviorist model. There are other steps, but these are the most bang for their buck and-I cannot understate-would have a dramatic effect on our culture.

4. Comment by Alex January 26, 2021 @ 3:10 pm | Link

So are you saying you agree with Kaepernick's right to take a knee or are you with the right-wing people cancelling him?

In response to Bike Gallery owner sells all six Portland stores to Trek Bicycle Corp Array

5. Comment by Alex January 26, 2021 @ 3:08 pm | Link

It's funny because Intel and MS have fallen off. They wouldn't be near my first choice for computing these days. In fact, Apple (maybe you have heard of them), are going to start using their own chips and have given up on Intel.

Would love to see cops go the way of MS and Intel - present, but more of a choice to go with other options and less artificially influential in the market.

6. Comment by Hello, Kitty January 26, 2021 @ 3:06 pm | Link

Of course, we drive a lot more per capita too, so that's not the whole story.

It sounds as if we agree that we need to change cultural norms. How do you convince government to take the lead on that, especially if the effort is costly, without a popular mandate? With restrictions on smoking, for example, the mandate came first; government limits on where we could smoke lagged significantly.

7. Comment by Alex January 26, 2021 @ 3:04 pm | Link

There are so many direct-to-consumer brands out there now. Where to even start...

8. Comment by a January 26, 2021 @ 2:58 pm | Link

***Comment deleted because it served no purpose other than to be mean to someone - JM***

9. Comment by Christian Samuel January 26, 2021 @ 2:57 pm | Link

Sorry the link is now updated to the one from December 2020. Hot off the press! Very relevant to the current situation.

10. Comment by eawriste January 26, 2021 @ 2:55 pm | Link

Our laws and policy reflect cultural norms. When we design roads that are inherently dangerous (ie design primarily for speed and capacity of cars), implement policy to allow a pattern of dangerous behavior (eg lack of traffic cameras), we build a pattern of behavior in people that becomes the norm. That's what we need to change.

It's not merely a few nordic countries. Compared to other countries the US is approximately 50th in road fatalities per capita, well behind all of the other industrialized nations.

11. Comment by Hello, Kitty January 26, 2021 @ 2:55 pm | Link

It wasn't the ALL, but the "keep us safe" that I was responding to. "Safe" is not a goal you achieve, but an axis along which you move, and each increment towards "more" comes costs and tradeoffs against other things people value.

I think that rather than ask our leaders "keep us safe", it would be more effective to help them understand what tradeoffs you're willing to make for that next increment of safety. In my case, to pick one relevant example, I'm willing to trade lower speed limits and increased vehicular travel times in exchange for safety. It took decades, but now we have 20MPH speed limits on many city streets, and I'm advocating for further reductions in my neighborhood.

"People will die" and "keep us safe" are the same messages that permeated the post 9/11 world and heralded in NSA dragnet monitoring, "enhanced interrogation" and other abhorrent policies, so forgive me for being skeptical of them without discussion of what we're giving up in return.

12. Comment by Alex January 26, 2021 @ 2:52 pm | Link

Hardly. Here is an example of the far-left (albeit not in Portland) solving their problems and taking responsibility: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/09/07/we-can-solve-our-own-problems-a-vision-of-minneapolis-without-police.

How are the far left pushing us in a libertarian direction? Just hearing you say this makes me really think how far out of touch you are with the "far left". I think the people in the far left really do want participation from everyone, it's just that most people don't want to put forth the effort or change how society works to truly act that way. Most people would rather just see the same old institutions flail than push for any real change into the unknown.

13. Comment by Alex January 26, 2021 @ 2:49 pm | Link

It's funny that you don't get to define what "defunding the police" is. When people talk about "defunding the police", they mean to defund the police and fund more nuanced services that don't have guns and are actually held accountable. I don't think it just means quit paying taxes and cut down services. It means fix the broken system by creating a new system. So call it what you want, but find common vernacular and not just defining things how you wish to see them would probably be a good place to start, aka listening.

14. Comment by Chris I January 26, 2021 @ 2:40 pm | Link

I use the Hollywood store because I can walk there. It always felt like it was owned by Trek anyway. I don't see much changing here.

15. Comment by eawriste January 26, 2021 @ 2:40 pm | Link

Whew. Man. This is a well earned chuckle for today.

16. Comment by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor) January 26, 2021 @ 2:37 pm | Link

That article is 4 years old and is no longer relevant to the current situation.

17. Comment by dwk January 26, 2021 @ 2:37 pm | Link

I appreciate Hardesty commenting on how tragic the 55 murders last year were or 100 or so homeless people who died on the streets she is in charge of... This was a terrible crime but one of a lot in this city she oversees.....

In response to PBOT Commissioner: "Portland witnessed a terrible tragedy" Array

18. Comment by Christian Samuel January 26, 2021 @ 2:34 pm | Link

Sorry, I guess it’s just all the traffic enforcement officers that were eliminated. Thanks for the correction. My point remains the same. It really is a shame all the traffic officers were eliminated due to police budget cuts.
    Link from article 12/15/2020

19. Comment by Chris I January 26, 2021 @ 2:33 pm | Link

You can't stop everyone, but you can reduce the odds by providing everyone with access to medical care and mental health services.

20. Comment by Hello, Kitty January 26, 2021 @ 2:31 pm | Link

Spending our tax dollars on more nuanced, community driven solutions is not what I would call defunding. I absolutely support developing a broader array of services to help those who need it, but that is going to be very expensive and will require significantly more resources than we're currently able to muster. As I have mentioned many times in this forum, I am willing to pay more for better results, but I suspect that many are not.

21. Comment by hamiramani January 26, 2021 @ 2:29 pm | Link

Weak statements. No sense of urgency. No display of how things may change. I only hope that these are just the first paragraphs of their statements.

In response to PBOT Commissioner: "Portland witnessed a terrible tragedy" Array

22. Comment by hamiramani January 26, 2021 @ 2:24 pm | Link

"ALL" is a goal, not a "Far-Left" philosophy. You know..."liberty and justice for ALL"? That's the sort of "ALL" I speak of. Without aspirations we are left with the status quo, a "free-for-ALL".

I believe deeply in personal responsibility as well. That is why I choose to put my life on the line nearly everyday as I ride a bike or walk to my destinations. I also take the personal responsibility to commute car-free thereby prolonging my trip by more than an hour.

So, no, I'm not advocating some lefty ideal; merely talking about human ideals.

23. Comment by dwk January 26, 2021 @ 2:23 pm | Link

What is the Far Left you speak of? Seriously who are they? As few as they are , they certainly have no power in this country.
    We have the most conservative Senate and Supreme court we have ever had.
    The straw men you create......
    The Alt Right just left the White house BTW...

24. Comment by J_R January 26, 2021 @ 2:22 pm | Link

Of course we can ignore it. We've decided on no traffic enforcement and the result is disregard of traffic laws on the part of a growing segment of the motoring public. No enforcement. No consequences. Increasing death toll. Do you still believe it is a coincidence?
    How many deaths until we begin taking it seriously? Given our acceptance of 400,000 US deaths from COVID and the failure of half the population to even wear masks, my guess is that we won't start taking vehicular killings seriously until we're at 3 per week in Portland. Sad and disgusting.

25. Comment by Chris I January 26, 2021 @ 2:16 pm | Link

To a call of "erratic driving"? We would need a lot more cops if you wanted someone to respond to every one of those calls.

In response to Police say two of 10 victims in vehicular rampage were on bikes Array

Comments