Comments

At BikePortland, we think your comments are just as important as our stories. This page lists all comments made on BikePortland.org, with recent comments at the top.

If you love great comments as much as we do, check out our Comment of the Week column. Please help us find more great ones by simply typing "comment of the week" in a comment.

Return to the Front Page.

1. Comment by Travis September 21, 2018 @ 11:49 pm | Link

This is an interesting conversation.

Bikeninja: I would get to those cool installations using my bike. I also take my daughter to school, and I buy a week’s worth of groceries, using my bike. I don’t commute, because I work from home. But when I need to haul home 300 pounds of mulch for the yard, take my family camping, or take my 62-year-old mother in law across town on a rainy night, I use the car. The car has utility that is not easily replaced. So I’m more in favor of parking it in the street than playing ping pong in the street.

In response to It's Park(ing) Day in Portland! Array

2. Comment by OhYongHao September 21, 2018 @ 11:41 pm | Link

Perhaps basic requirements of how racks should be installed and a ban on serpentine racks, which ironically are the staple go to used at most businesses to say they have bike parking. Any rack not properly installed with enough distance between it and any obstacles around should be fined until torn out and replaced with an actual useful bike rack, like a staple.

It would be nice if it's incorporated into the same code that governs parking lots and disabled parking spaces, to give some percentage to bicycle parking with canopy, and a minimum standard of how they should be built. Imagine artsy car parking spaces, or parking spaces that were only 3' long, or located in an area where one would have to jump a curb with their car, or lift it over an obstacle.

In response to After 20 years, Portland's bike parking code set for major refresh Array

3. Comment by OhYongHao September 21, 2018 @ 11:29 pm | Link

You hit the nail on the head. I haven't bothered with any of the fancy e-scooters as the cost of a ride just seems ridiculous compared to the value I get from a Trimet daily pass. I would be more tempted to use one if I could get across town for under a dollar.

As a PSU student I get 90min/day with BIKETOWN and have been using it to commute between Goose Hollow, CUPA, and the Engineering Building. For such a short ride the bikes work well. Had I further to go I would just bring my personal bike on the Max, or ride over the West Hills.

In response to New keypads (finally!) coming to Biketown bikes Array

4. Comment by OhYongHao September 21, 2018 @ 11:14 pm | Link

If I recall correctly, I believe Kaiser also installed bike parking at the Hillsboro Main Library. The canopy looks awfully familiar. I bonk my head on it just about every time I park there. Bike parking really should be a no brainer and this article put it quite succinctly, staples with a canopy that has supports that are unobtrusive to the use of the staples, properly spaced and distanced from other objects. If I had a dime for every time I encountered a serpentine bike rack located too close to the building...

In response to How not to do bike parking Array

5. Comment by Toby Keith September 21, 2018 @ 11:04 pm | Link

Oh soren knock it off. All you do is berate everyone. I'm not sure why you are allowed to be so abusive here on BP but it's certainly a toxic envorinment.

In response to Opinion: Better Naito has ended in the worst way Array

6. Comment by OhYongHao September 21, 2018 @ 10:56 pm | Link

Wow, somebody sounds highly privileged. My wife and I make under $30,000 a year and are well enough off to cover monthly expenses and not dip into savings and even add to it. What do others do with the extra $70,000? Gorge their eyes out so they can't see how well off they are?

In response to Opinion: Better Naito has ended in the worst way Array

7. Comment by sikoler September 21, 2018 @ 10:54 pm | Link

I'm a progressive, just like most Portlanders. I loath the GOP and everything they represent. I can't stand religious conservative politics.

Liberals drive cars too.

I still think that **in general** the people who criticize Better Naito have a similar vision for Portland to many people here on these message boards.

In response to Better Naito is Portland's future. It's time to embrace it Array

8. Comment by soren September 21, 2018 @ 10:06 pm | Link

the numbers are are even more dramatic for families earning more than $150,000.

then again, i'm not sure why i bother. for the most part bike advocacy in this town is by the rich for the rich.

In response to Opinion: Better Naito has ended in the worst way Array

9. Comment by soren September 21, 2018 @ 10:02 pm | Link

my mirror shows someone who has always opposed capitalism. what does your mirror show?

In response to Opinion: Better Naito has ended in the worst way Array

10. Comment by sikoler September 21, 2018 @ 10:00 pm | Link

"people need to hear how bad cars are "

is this really the problem?

I think this is a fundamental error many bike activists make: the idea that people would just start biking if only they knew it was an option. People's lives are difficult and complex and no one here can claim to know what is best for everyone when it comes to transportation.

Car drivers are not some ignorant mass who need truth shoved in their face, they need to get where they are going just like us.

We have to work together, not perpetuate turf war mentality...these protests look like fun but they just serve to annoy people we are trying to convert.

In response to It's Park(ing) Day in Portland! Array

11. Comment by B. Carfree September 21, 2018 @ 9:57 pm | Link

Now, now, if motorists had to put up with even 10% of the poor implementations cyclists do then no one would drive. Oh, wait...

In response to How not to do bike parking Array

12. Comment by sikoler September 21, 2018 @ 9:56 pm | Link

Annoying everyday people just trying to park is not helping, it's counterproductive.

A turf war mentality helps no one.

Drivers are not our enemy. Commuters are not our enemy...hell *cars* aren't even the enemy!

Bad urban design, burning fossil fuels, people who act like selfish assholes...these are the enemies we should be fighting...not occupying parking spaces.

In response to It's Park(ing) Day in Portland! Array

13. Comment by Richard September 21, 2018 @ 8:58 pm | Link

Thank you for sharing my videos, Jonathan -- I really appreciate you shining a light on this issue. Just a slight correction: My last name is "Bidmead."

The story of the driver hitting someone in Better Naito is upsetting beyond all belief. I know exactly what this is like, and it's horrifying. As an aside: It is an investment, but if anyone can afford it, please arm yourselves with a bike cam (I recommend Cycliq). They may not keep you safe, but the footage is invaluable in cases such as these, even if the camera breaks (it is auto-saved on a tiny SD card that will likely survive).

I agree with others saying that the temporary nature of Better Naito was/is a terrible idea. It has allowed for embarrassing low standards, and it has given credence to the view that protected bike lanes are "optional" rather than life-savingly necessary. It doesn't surprise me that most people are celebrating its removal, given the implications of such wishy-washy messaging. "Vision Zero is a thing but only during summer with a weak illusion of safety that cars can still bulldoze and drive and park in until they get their lane back because their convenience matters more than your life."

If such a signature plan like Better Naito can't just be implemented as policy, I have no hope for any other streets with less popularity, support, and fanfare. So disillusioning.

In response to Opinion: Better Naito has ended in the worst way Array

14. Comment by Ivan Boothe September 21, 2018 @ 8:55 pm | Link

Welcome to the annual Portland event, Worse Naito.

Worse Naito, a project jointly sponsored by PBOT and the Portland Business Alliance, commences each fall after drivers injure and maim a sufficient number of bicyclists and pedestrians in a poorly-protected, temporarily-marked "safe zone" along the city's flagship downtown park.

Worse Naito lasts each year until mid-spring, when PBOT temporarily suspends the program due to the sheer number of pedestrians and bicyclists who insist on walking in the street when periodic events are happening within the city's flagship downtown park. The end of Worse Naito is often heralded with stern letters and warnings from PBA public relations flacks and a few select commuters interviewed by television news.

As soon as the summer event crowds disperse (and sometimes before they do) PBOT once again restarts the Worse Naito initiative. Ever improving, PBOT launched Worse Naito in 2018 more than a week early, including a special bonus day as a gift to the people of Portland.

Thank you for joining us at Worse Naito. We hope you make it down the street OK.

#WorseNaito

In response to Opinion: Better Naito has ended in the worst way Array

15. Comment by Toby Keith September 21, 2018 @ 8:27 pm | Link

Sorry but she is not impressive in any way. But if we're talking about a city council that seems hopelessly equipped to deal with a modern Portland than yes she fits in quite well.

In response to Opinion: Better Naito has ended in the worst way Array

16. Comment by Eric Leifsdad September 21, 2018 @ 8:21 pm | Link

It would be so simple to put jersey barriers across each intersection and leave the whole east half of the street to people walking and biking. You can even have the left turn lanes to bypass turning cars, so that's a nice 2-3 lanes on the west side of the median for people to drive on both ways. Done and with no trees lost or new pavement necessary.

In response to Opinion: Better Naito has ended in the worst way Array

17. Comment by 9watts September 21, 2018 @ 7:20 pm | Link

"Do you suppose we can outbuild that demand?"

Nope. And the all too predictable attempt to do so anyway gives me the willies.

In response to Planning Commission finds 'missing middle,' votes for more housing citywide Array

18. Comment by Scott Mizée September 21, 2018 @ 7:20 pm | Link

That wins comment of the week, right there! Well said.

In response to How not to do bike parking Array

19. Comment by 9watts September 21, 2018 @ 7:18 pm | Link

"Do we really want to become San Francisco?"

So tiresome, the San Francisco bugaboo. I refuse to be strong-armed with the same old cliche.

Can't we trust ourselves to be more creative, figure out ways to tackle and solve these problems? Why are there always only two crummy choices?

20. Comment by Hello, Kitty September 21, 2018 @ 7:14 pm | Link

I personally know a number of people who moved here from the Bay Area because our housing is cheap (comparatively speaking). Some even continue to work at their old jobs remotely.

Our underpriced (from a west coast perspective) housing will continue to induce demand until the larger market has reached an equilibrium. Do you suppose we can outbuild that demand?

21. Comment by Hello, Kitty September 21, 2018 @ 7:07 pm | Link

"Hi Temporary PBOT Director, this is Marshall from Commissioner Eudaly's office. We're getting a lot of calls about Better Naito, and we'd like you to just leave it up this year, at least until we get things sorted. Yes, we'll be in touch. Ok, thanks!"

In response to Opinion: Better Naito has ended in the worst way Array

22. Comment by Hello, Kitty September 21, 2018 @ 6:57 pm | Link

You may not, but many on the PSC do.

23. Comment by David Hampsten September 21, 2018 @ 6:45 pm | Link

You are blaming the wrong people. True, part of the job of the transportation commissioner is to take the blame for his or her agency's mistakes or failures, but even if she was a seasoned pro, she doesn't actually run PBOT any more than the mayor or governor does. The director of PBOT is nominally in control, but it's actually the section chiefs and their immediate underlings who run their subdivisions within the bureau semi-autonomously. PBOT is and always has been a bit of a mess since it was formed in 1988 - nobody's really in charge.

Chances are, when Better Naito was implemented earlier this year, someone at PBOT put in an advance work-order to maintenance to remove everything at such-and-such a date, and a maintenance supervisor had a crew available to do it a day early, so they went ahead and did it with the best of intentions to save taxpayer money by doing it early rather than behind schedule. S__t happens, even at PBOT.

In response to Opinion: Better Naito has ended in the worst way Array

24. Comment by Daniel September 21, 2018 @ 6:16 pm | Link

True, but had the slightly updated closure date been made public a few weeks ago, this would have been just a minor annoyance and not something that risked peoples' lives. I'd be really curious as to whether Runkel knew that this might happen, and if so why he didn't share it with the folks who use Better Naito when he came to the BikeLoud rally on Tuesday night.

I'll be honest - I try not to jump on the bandwagon with all the folks who *really* dislike Eudaly for whatever reason, but I also don't see any evidence that she has any real interest in cycling as transportation. Her statements on the topic have been equivocating at best, usually tend to divert the conversation to other subjects that she cares more about, and I'm not sure why BikePortland continually assumes she will be any kind of advocate for improved cycling infrastructure.

My guess is that this is indicative of PBOT's approach to come - lip service toward bike commuting when it's easy to do, and a steady reprioritization away from projects that support it. I hope I'm wrong, I really like a lot of the projects included in the CCIM plan and I want to see them built!

In response to Opinion: Better Naito has ended in the worst way Array

25. Comment by maccoinnich September 21, 2018 @ 6:16 pm | Link

I don't appreciate you implying that I support the residential infill project because I stand to make some kind of financial gain from it. I don't.

Comments