Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Site Admin

Default hawthorne and 7th street

traveling east bound off hawthorne bridge. i was in left lane to turn left onto 7th st. car pulled out after hesitating because he saw me in the left lane. i was traveling 25 to 30 mph. i had to lock up the back wheel and skid to the middle lane to avoid rear-ending him.
after both of us having a blunt verbal exhange, as we were both turning onto 7th, he pulled over and got out of his car. i then called 911, as did he. he continued to gesture wildly with arms waving, in a confrontative manner.
untill two cars arrived, (5 minutes later). he was forced to sit on the curb while they questioned both of us separately.
moral of the story, "you can be right and dead" (officer Sorenson).
as if you dont know already. watch out while coming off the bridge.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetishridr View Post
he continued to gesture wildly with arms waving, in a confrontative manner.
What an ass. Was he verbally agressive as well? Could/should you have maced him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetishridr View Post
"you can be right and dead" (officer Sorenson).
So helpful...
Old 06-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Site Admin

Default yes

he got out of his car, called me a pussy because i was riding away. thems fightin words, but no he didnt say i'm going to kick your ass or if he did i was out of earshot. his car was in the bike lane on seventh stopped and he was standing in the middle of 7th northbound yelling at me.
the only reason i involved the police was because he got out of his car and was screaming and gesturing violently. i believe a pedestrian called 911 too, although i was in a yelling match at the time. the popo came really fast.
if i had mace i would have used it.
all in all though, it shouldnt have gone that far, i think there was too much testosterone on both sides of the argument. The driver said i was going too fast and that was what i really took issue with, and then the argument really got out of hand. the responding officer implied that 30 mph is extremely fast for a bicycle and that i was kind of at fault, then the other officer sorenson admitted that i wasnt at fault although i can be "right and dead." no punches were thrown, although if i had mouthed off to this guy any more i'd probably have a fat lip. i still have all my front teeth and i hope the dude got a ticket for not having a front license plate.
anyway. this guy was at fault, but he was probably swayed to the dark side (ie bike haters) because of this incident.

for everyone else- keep your eyes peeled for cars pulling out from those parallel spots on hawthorne. the traffic was light so i was able to dodge into the other lane.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:33 PM
Site Admin

Now that your adrenalin has dropped a bit...

Where did the car pull out from? I'm just trying to picture it in my head and not doing so well.

Glad you are in one piece and no punches were thrown.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Site Admin

Default more info

he was parked parallel on the left about 1 block west of 7th. (1 block before the turn to 7th).