Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Site Admin

Default Baby Size Helmets

My granddaughter is 7 months old. Her parents want to take her riding with her in a pull behind trailer. Does anyone know the "rules" to carrying children under the age of 1 in a trailer-do they have to wear a helmet? If so, what store carries helmets small enough and light weight enough for a child that small to still be able to hold up their head? My daughter-in-law is insistant her daughter needs one. Any info would be grateful...thanks
Old 06-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Site Admin

Default We waited.

We have two in diapers and waited with each until they were a year old before trailering them.

Our 15 month old was just able recently to get into his helmet. But he's really pretty small for his age. His brother wore it at 12 months. We picked up one of our helmets at River City and the other at one of the Trauma Nurses sales. Both gave us good fitting advice.

Also, it depends on what equipment she has. Our Burley D'Lite double really requires the rider to about 12 months old, or they aren't tall enough to have the helmet fit into little pouch at the top of the backrest. Our little one still has to fight the seat pushing his helmet down over his eyes. But he manages for short rides.

The Canadian Chariot trailers do offer an infant sling-type insert, but I haven't seen it or used it so maybe someone else can chime in.

One thing we did do with both that helped was to have them wear their helmets around the house to get them used to it before riding.

Good luck. We love our trailer and love riding with the boys.

_DA
Old 06-11-2007, 08:24 AM
Site Admin

WE have the burley double also and found that when our children were so small that the "helmetpocket" was to high it was best to put somthing between the seat and the floor to raise up our kids. We have friends who strapped there car seat into the trailer, apparently this is fairly common to see in Eugene before kids can wear helmets. I think the smallest bucket style car seats are designed so that if it is thrown from the car a head injury is preventable you could check out the safety of your carseat for that option. OF course if a semi runs over your trailer your screwed. It is also against the law for a child to ride without a helmet.

We also used the helmets for play around the house to get the kiddos used to them. Our first helmets came from Bike Gallery.

JayS.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:11 PM
Site Admin

I have the Chariot double and it is reccomended that the child be 1yr before pulling behind bike, we had and infant sling that we used for walking/jogging but never off-sidewalk. The child is required to wear a helmet, (at least that is what the salesperson at REI told me).
Old 06-15-2007, 10:00 AM
Site Admin

If your child is 16-years or younger, state law requires them to wear a helmet.

That said, protecting your melon is always a good idea.