Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Site Admin

Default I-205 Bike path question

Hello all...I'm wondering where I went wrong. I searched on this question and didn't find any posts regarding it.

I was coming back to Oregon City from downtown and decided to take the I-205 bike path for the first time. The construction kinda sucked but I was doing fine until I came to the 224 Milwaukie Express Way. The path just seemed to end. I looked around but didn't see any obvious signs of which way to go.

I ended up riding a short way on the shoulder of 224 to get to Webster and picked up on a bike lane there and followed it until it joined the 224/212 intersection and then I was back on the 205 bike path. The short 224 jaunt didn't feel real safe or very bicycle friendly so I figure that can't be the right way to go.

Did I miss something? On googlemaps I couldn't see a bike path on 205 between these two exits. Is there a better way to go?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Site Admin

I haven't ridden that section for awhile, but there used to be a short stretch starting at Hwy 224 where you had to re-route onto 82nd Ave. before you could pick up the 205 again.

That's the indicated route on Metro's "Bike There" map... though the latest map I have is the 2005 edition.

Hope this helps, meager info as it is.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Site Admin

Default here goes

as you hit the milwaukie expressway, turn left, ride over the 205 to the east side. then ride on that surface street untill you hit the light and go right, back over the 205, then go left.

this route absolutely sucks, and i dont ride it anymore. a better way is to turn right at the express way (stay on surface streets of course ) go approximately 1 mile and go left/south. i dont know the street name, but its right by a school on the left. This street goes through to oatfield and the high rocks park. its much better to ride on.

google my crappy directions and you'll see what i'm talking about.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Site Admin

Thank you both of you, that really helps. I didn't realize that going to the left would get me around. I have bike maps for all around portland but they don't go out this far so maybe I should get the "Bike There" map after all. I figured with what I had and Bycycle.com I'd be fine but it didn't work this time.

Fetishridr, it looks like your route was the way I ended up going, it's Webster road, but instead of following it all the way down I took a turn left partway down and rejoined the bike path at 212/224 Estacada exit.

After taking the path from Oaks Park, down to OMSI, the 205 path was very underwhelming in quality and view, but I was looking to expand my horizons so I can at least say I did that. Thanks again!

Last edited by Jakelin; 05-30-2007 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Site Admin

Default if you go north off webster

if you go north off webster and stay more or less on that road it crosses 224, then another main artery and passes into a commercial park, meanders around. eventually, that road goes by gold's gym in milwaukie, then it turns toward 224. take a right at the stop right before the crossing, and then you can go north on surface streets and finally hook up with the spring water path.
this route is intuitive while riding it, and rather pleasant. it beats riding river road and oatfield nonstop.
southbound, webster hooks up with oatfield, then you just go to 1st street in gladstone and go west to the 99E bridge.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Site Admin

Default New, improved 205 bike path?

Trimet is having a release party on Friday, July 13th (auspicious?) where they will unveil a new 205 route for us to use while they have everything torn up till summer, 2009. There will be a ride from Gateway to Clackamas Town Center where they promise food, beverage & info. I'm just hoping its better than my new route - 92nd. Actually, 92nd isn't too bad if it weren't for all the glass, rocks and crap. Check out their website: http://www.trimet.org/promotions/ibike205/index.htm
Old 06-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Site Admin

Not entirely sure I understood the directions others were giving, I'll have to look at them again. Oatfield and Webster are both well out of the way from the 205 bike path normally (I used to live at Oatfield & Thiessen).

The normal way to take the 205 path back (north) from Oregon City is to follow it until it ends at the Hwy 224 / 212 overpass over 205, turn right, and proceed to SE 82nd Drive (at the intersection with Denny's, 7-11, McDonald's & Elmers / US Bank / Fred Meyer. Turn left (north) and follow the bike lane up 82nd until you get to SE Lawnfield (opposite the I-205 on-ramp). At Lawnfield, continue up 82nd, but on the nice, wide sidewalk which is actually part of the 205 path. Upon crossing over I-205 on the sidewalk (the KEX radio towers will be on your right, with Mount Talbert behind them), the path will start back up again on your right immediately after the freeway overpass.

Note to path users: the 205 bike path is now (as of this morning) closed at Sunnyside. Also, the bridge in Gladstone at high rocks is still closed to all traffic, so the only locations to cross the Clackamas River (safely and legally) are 99E and Carver bridge. The Gladstone bridge is closed due to last year's sewage pipe bridge fire, and the repairs will not be made until at least the end of summer, because the city is fighting with the prospective contractor.