Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Site Admin

Default Frame builders/welders in PDX??

I have an old Trek Y22 that I would like to have rear disc tabs put on. I have looked into the adapters that simply bolt on and convert a non disc rear triangle into one that supports disc but have heard that alignment problems are constant with these.

Does anyone know of local bike specific welders that I could get into contact with to see about possibly having a disc tab welded on to the rear triangle?

I only know of Vanilla and their webpage has no contact information. I have also heard a name of "Boldin" (sic?) as someone that has experience in building and frame welding, any help?

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Site Admin

To be honest, your money would be better spent on a new FS mt. bike. Your Y22 is great for nostalgia but the new stuff around now is way better. If you still choose to get the disc brake tabs there are several builders in Portland (google them but, most are probally to busy to help right now). Sellwood cycles have a great repair guy that they send frames off to, I can't recall his name right now. Be warned though that if your rear frame is alluminum, this project will not happen, especially if it is heat treated. Good luck, definetly consider a new bike though.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:27 PM
The Management
Site Admin

check out my list of local builders

http://bikeportland.org/resources/links#builders
Old 05-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Site Admin

To echo what DJoos wrote, I have doubts that you're going to find someone locally to take care of this. If your rear triangle is 6K series Al, it's going to need heat treatment. If it's 7K series, you'll just have to stay off of it for a while while it "ages".

Maybe you could convince one of the welders at Sapa or Ellsworth to take this on? I don't know of any other builders in the area who works with Al.