Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Site Admin

Default 16th and Salmon

Today I was heading to work and when I essentially made a left from 16th around the roundabout and on to salmon when a woman made a right, right into me. It was all slow speed and if it were two vehicles it would be a "fender bender". The main damage to my bike (as far as I can tell) is a bent front wheel. There seems to be no other damage and I was uninjured, just a little shaken.

My question is, should I file a police report/insurance claim? She offered to pay out of pocket and give me a wheel, but truth is I have a wheel that I would rather put on plus I can do the work myself...

I'm having the debate between being as litigious as the rest of the US or let her off easy, eventhough I don't think she should be? Any and all constructive comments would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Site Admin

She did damage. She should pay. You could be litigious, but does it gain you anything or teach her more of a lesson? You say you have a wheel that you would rather put on. But you could have sold your old wheel if it was not damaged. I would say at a minimum have her pay the value of the old wheel. This benefits you and her both, because she does not have to pay for a new wheel and the labor to put it on.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Site Admin

Default my two cents

it's up to you, but i think she should give you some dough for the part she damaged, even if you happen to already have another one. before, you had two. now you have one.

if she seems nice enough to actually pay, i personally would (and did) skip the police report for simple hassle reasons. also, in the end, she'll think nice, more careful thoughts about bikes than she would if she has to write a bigger check to her insurance company every month.

glad you're okay!