Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Site Admin

Default Esplanade North to Williams?

I'm starting a new commute soon from N. Mississippi to Macadam near the bottom Tram station.

I pre-ran a route this morning and liked going inbound over the Broadway and then hooking up with the west waterfront downtown.

But on the way back, I took the eastside Esplanade and was once again stymied as I tried to pick the correct route to take to hook up with northbound williams.

Once I climbed up the hill from the esplanade, I was faced with a nice diagnol bike signal, but that dumped me one block and then I was faced with two blocks of forbidden Tri-met pavement. Looked like a lot of bikes were going ahead and barging through.

Am I missing a quick direct route to Williams (that won't raise the ire of the good bus driving folks), or do they want to route me down the hill, around the Garden and then back up the hill to catch Williams? Because if that's so, I may just join the ranks of the scofflaws I watched today.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Site Admin

Seems there are two reasonable alternatives. Making a left from the two-way Multnomah onto Wheeler is a bit iffy, so I prefer the way by NE 1st.

(click)
Old 04-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Site Admin

Thanks. Yeah, that makes sense I guess. I'll give that left hand jog to the right hand turn a try next time. Let those helmetless fixie outlaws duke it out with the irate bus drivers.

I'm probably the eleventieth person to say that a straight shot with the busses should be do-able.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Site Admin

I took the NE 1st route last night, and it was fine. I was pleasantly surprised that the loop detectors in the car lanes were sensitive enough to trigger on a bike.

Use the right lane on NE 1st from Oregon St in order to get to the outside left-turn lane at Multnomah.