Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Site Admin

Default Seat Position.

Recently I started being more aware of my foot postion while biking, and as such tend to increase my extenstion when pedaling. About this time I started noticing knee pain on long (15 mile plus rides) what I finally realized is that my seat needed to be 3/4" higer to accomidate my change in foot placement.

After I readjuted my seat, I readjusted my sons (because he grew from last week), and I see tons of people with theire seats way to low... Funny how when you figure something out it becomes so obvious- as in "why the hell didnt I figure that out years ago?"

Old 04-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Site Admin

Ever go into 24HR Fitness and watch people on stationary bikes? Most everyone rides too low with hardlly any extension at all. I've tried to offer some guidance (its a lot easier to talk to someone when they aren't moving) and am usually met with blank stares saying "what the *%# do you know?" Maybe its the clientele, but after you figure out the extension thing its true that its hard to watch others get it wrong.