Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Site Admin

Default Anyone owned or know of any Garmin like GPS Units for bikes like I have for the car?

The garamin has so so incredibly handy for someone that has ltd sense of direction... like myself. Heh.

Anyone know of a talking, perhaps ear piece type unit that tells you turn by turn directions for bicyclists, that also gives a visual low down on the handlebars?

DJ Kenny
Old 04-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Site Admin

oh yeah..."Auditory" is key. Nice and clear in an earpiece...wouldnt have to be looking at a map the whole time to figure where I am going.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:46 PM
Site Admin

I don't think there is one for bikes that does turn by turn. I have the Garmin Edge 305, but no streets on it and nothing audible.
However, maybe there is something for motorcycles that runs on a few AA batteries. At least I am assuming you don't want to be carrying a car battery.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:25 AM
Site Admin

Thumbs up ByCycle and Garmin

You can use www.byCycle.org to get turn by turn directions from any origin//destination in the Portland Metro region.

I've got a Garmin Etrex Legend with a nifty handlebar clip. It comes in handy when you are trying to navigate uncharted waters - even with just the default database that it comes with. If you buy the supplemental map data it has detailed streets for the region. There is an origin//destination function, and I believe it can be programmed to not put you on Freeways anyway, but it is not as bike specific as byCycle is.

I'm not aware of any audible direction capable units for bikes.