Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Bikepool Connections
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Site Admin

Default Ride Pool from Woodstock/52nd to 110 SW Beaverton (Bus option to?)

I know it is a distance. I am trying to stay away form driving (health, money, etc) and I should get a job closer to the new home...but for now I need to go to work ala Home Depot in Beaverton on SW 110th.

Anyone know of a good combo of biking and a bus stop that would make this trip possible in under an hr? The busline would take at least 80 minutes between transfers per the trimet site leaving outside our home on 52nd near Woodstock.

Would be great to ride with someone doing something similar...but suggestions on how to make this trip feasible, and most efficient, are also appreciated.

If you have a somewhat similar ride, or know of a bus route within a 3 mile biking distance that would make this a more efficinet trip I would very much like ideas.

I tend to work 10am most days of the week. The busline (#19) would drop me off downtown and between waits/transfers I wouldnt get to The Home Depot for 80 min.

Cheers,

Kenny

Last edited by djkenny; 03-25-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Site Admin

It's a short bike ride from your new house to Harold Street, where the #10 will get you to Pioneer Square a bit faster than the #19 would. ... MAX to Beaverton TC, bike to Home Depot. Cut your trip down to an hour, maybe?

It's a bit of a stretch, but the #33, or any of the other McLoughlin buses, could also be an alternative to the #19. It's a really fast bus route, but I think the closest stop to you is at Holgate.

Last edited by tvhwy; 03-24-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:02 AM
Site Admin

My experience with the 10 and 19 has been that if you're a strong biker and have a good route that you know well, you can beat either of these buses downtown from the Woodstock area just about every time. The 10 goes along what is actually a pretty good bike route, down 26th to Clinton and then through Ladd's. Zooming downtown and then cooling off while reading a book on the MAX is not a bad commute. Then you can leave your options open on the way home.

Even with your slightly quicker bike trip and not having your transfer time, it might not be that much shorter, but it will definitely be more fun than 80 minutes on buses, and it's cheaper than a gym membership, right? Good luck!
Old 03-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Site Admin

Come to think of it, you probably don't even need to be that strong a biker to beat the bus. I used to beat the 10 regularly on a heavy squeaky old 3-speed.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:32 AM
Site Admin

Thumbs up

Thanks Elly. You are speaking my kind of language. I like the idea of gettign the day started feeling refreshed and energized.

I *am* seeking someone with a similar AM schedule, perhaps a few days a week, to bike pool with. Especially as I am beginning this new journey to downtown on bike.

Getting back after work taking 80 minutes isnt too shabby. I can deal. on days when it just will not work out, I can drive to.

The least amount of driving the better.