Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Site Admin

Default North Portland to Downtown

I'm moving to No Po from SE and was curious about some route information. Almost everyone I have spoken with says that Interstate to the Broadway or the Steel is the way to go. Is this a pretty good route? It seems like a bit of traffic for my taste. I'm use to going down Ankney from the Tabor area, which is really low-key as far as car traffic is concerned. Is there any other ways to take besides Interstate? Also, what is the time it takes roughly to and from downtown to say Going? Thanks for any info in advance.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Site Admin

The Vancouver / Williams street couplet has less traffic than Interstate, and rides pretty well. That will take you to Broadway just east of the bridge. Riding from Going to downtown will take 15-20 minutes, maybe as long as 30 minutes if you ride real leisurely and get caught by all the lights. Coming back, add 5 minutes because of the uphill trek. No matter which way you choose, you're going to have more traffic than Ankeny/Couch. I used to ride that corridor from 80th & Glisan to downtown and I frequently ride into N Portland, so I'm reasonably familiar with both corridors.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Site Admin

thanks for the information, I'm looking forward to the new commute.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Site Admin

Default side streets

I commute everyday from Portland Blvd. and Michigan downtown. I have taken Interstate - busy, but not so bad, to Vancouver/Williams. I had to finally change my route going to downtown because of the frustration of cyclists running reds and the frequency of the buses.

Instead I take Michigan to Fremont then hop on Mississippi to Interstate and head over the Broadway Bridge - taking Broadway into downtown. I find that it about the same time as any of the other main streets. I actually find it nicer though because there is hardly ever any traffic.

Going home I take Broadway Bridge up to Williams and then cut left on Fremont back to Michigan. I enjoy riding in the neighborhoods a lot better.

You are going to love living and riding in NoPo. Cheers. Janis
Old 03-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Site Admin

thanks again for the great information. I have no doubt that NoPo will treat me and my two wwheels kindly. Thanks and have a good day
Old 03-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Site Admin

If you're close enough to use Vancouver/Williams, I'd suggest trying NE 9th, especially if you're used to lower traffic. Vancouver/Williams is a functional route but there's a lot of traffic and, frankly, it's just not very nice. NE 9th goes through residential areas and through Irving Park. I've started taking it to get to PCC Cascade from downtown.

One word of warning, you do have to cross MLK to get to NoPo from NE 9th. That can be a pain in the arse.