Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Site Admin

Default Suggestions for a full suspension mtn bike under 24 pounds?

I really want to get a new mountain bike that's both full suspension and light weight for some cross-country riding this year. I haven't seen anything that is under 24 pounds ... any suggestions?

Last edited by Attornatus_Oregonensis; 03-03-2007 at 02:24 PM. Reason: I thought I made a mistake, but I was wrong
Old 03-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Site Admin

These will get you close, depending on pedals and which travel you want. Probably aren't going to like the $$$ though... If I were to get one, I would do it as a Project One build. Costs more but the bike will be personalized and much cooler looking. You can spec all the approprite parts that way too. Stem length/rise, bar width and type, crank length, etc.

http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1148600&f=11

http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1169600&f=12

The Fuel Ex will weigh a bit more than the Top Fuel, but that extra inch of travel will make the bike a lot more fun.... I think it is more fun to ride myself. Unless you are racing three inch platforms are sort of dead technology.

The top fuel will be around 21 pounds. The Ex, well under 24.

Last edited by steelsreal; 03-03-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Site Admin

Wow, that is an incredible amount of money. But, I suppose that's what it takes. I do like the Fuel and I'm addicted to the singletrack, so...now I guess I need to start a fund.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Site Admin

Bear in mind the price in the shop will be way lower than on Trek's website! If you don't mind a few more pounds you can still get a very, very nice bike by stepping down in the line-up a bit.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Site Admin

Take a look at the Giant Anthem too, if you haven't already. I love mine to death - it's fast almost to the point of being twitchy, and I've found the 3" suspension to be enough for anything I'm willing to ride anyway. It might be a little more than 24lbs with stock components, but less (mass) is always more ($).
Old 03-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Site Admin

Default who wouldn't dig 29 inches

the problem with a 25 lb limit is that some pros ride bikes that heavy. that means that the top end bikes are aroud 4-6K. you can get the same platform with lower components at around 28 lbs.
salsa and moots make an interesting bike that has a supesion damper thing a ma bob in the seat stays. they call is the soft tail. its neither a hard or a suspended rear end.

but as for buying a new bike, get a 29er, and you dont need any suspension. big wheels take the sting out of bumps. my fully rigid cromoly frame on 29 inch wheels is way more comfortable than my aluminum gary fisher hardtail with an 80 mm fork.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Site Admin

Thanks for all the great info.

My tax return came in and, what with the nice weather, it's burning a hole in my pocket!

It's down to the Trek Fuel and the Giant Anthem. Any points of comparison there? Any other bikes comparable to these two?

I'm interested in hearing more on the 29er. Can I really get something just as light that will perform as well without suspension? Why is it that the larger wheels are able to absorb shocks as well as a 26er with suspension?
Old 03-26-2007, 01:38 PM
Site Admin

29'ers are awesome.

That being said, I would never encourage someone to buy one instead of a full-suspension. They are not interchangeable, no matter what fans(like me) may say.

The reason they ride more like a full-sus is that you have a greater angle of attack on obstacles. Picture a 10 foot diameter wheel, everything is smaller in relationship to it.

Trek vs. Giant is a no brainer for me. The Trek will have a higher quality aluminum frame. If you are going carbon there is no comparison. The Trek suspension platforms were produced for the fuel ex specifically by rock shox.

The Trek will be made in Wisconsin. The Giant in China/Taiwan. Union wage workers here, slave labor over there. Much cleaner environmental regulations over here as well.

The components on the Trek are the same spec you would buy off shelf in the store. Giant OEM's parts. Meaning the pay a fee to make lower quality parts and then apply that companies sticker to the part.

On top of all of that, the Trek rides better. In my obviously not so humble opinion!

If I were you I would spend that cash on a fuel ex 7. Then I would buy a rigid 29'er for fun. We have 29'ers starting at $400 bucks, so both bikes should be easily obtainable.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Site Admin

How is it that you have such detailed corporate operational information on Trek and Giant? It seems to me that there is a lot of pertinent information there for many people considering buying a bike, but that it is not widely available (or is it?).
Old 03-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Site Admin

Going on 15 years in the industry.

I agree that this info should be readily available. Trouble is most shops pay near minimum wage and that does not encourage long term employment. Or dedication to the trade, though many shop employees exhibit both those traits nonetheless.

Second trouble is, walk into a shop that carries Giant and see what they have to say! No one is going to share the negatives of their bread and butter.

Another problem is most people are pulled in by marketing and/or familiarity and develop "brand" loyalty. I have heard person after person expressing supposed facts, that are entirely based on their subjective loyalty to a name, not based on that darned pesky objective reality.

Best to listen to lots of people, then go ride the bikes. If one is speaking to you and the parts on it are a good value, buy it! Who cares what it says on the side of the bike? Unless that name is associated with business practices or other concerns that relate to you. Environmental stewardship, quality of construction and materials, outsourcing, advocacy, etc.

Trek likes to buy other companies and in doing so, they gain access to technologies and materials not available to others. The high end Treks, use Gary Klein's aluminum. It is regarded as the best aluminum available. Followed closely by Easton's Scandium, which everyone else has to pay a premium for, that cost is then passed on to you, the consumer.

When it comes to carbon, it is a whole different deal. Many people make quality rolled tube carbon frames, with metal lugs holding it together. Formed lugs or bladder built bikes are vastly different company to company. I have seen every large companies frames sawn in half lengthwise and would never buy a full carbon bike from anyone but Trek. Though I would not buy carbon from anyone, so sort of moot!

Some companies straddle the mass merchant, independent bike shop worlds. Giant is one of those. Performance, Bike and Hike and their ilk will carry companies like Giant. The reason is they can do pretty much whatever they want. Giant will sell their bikes to anyone short of Wal-mart and Toys-r-us. They do not enforce pricing and that allows people to run higher margins, then discount as needed. Lots of money there for less scrupulous business owners.

I worked at a Giant dealer that sold a bike for $849. A shop across town had the same bike all season at $599. How many people paid the higher price? Lots! If people wanted a deal, sure let me take 10 percent off! What a deal, yeah? Of course we would price match, though most people never thought to ask (or shop around).

If a Trek dealer did that, Trek would stop selling to them.

I also have a soft spot for Unions and welders and sure like it when we keep their jobs stateside.

Last edited by steelsreal; 03-26-2007 at 10:57 PM.