Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Site Admin

Default Tire size and tread for wet weather

for those of you out there who race, or who ride 90 degree corners at 30 mph frequently, what would be the ideal tire size to ride on a wet road. i have one 23c tire conti grand prix 4 season, but my other one got shredded. I also have some conti grand prix 3 seasons that i won, but they are 25 c. i've laid my bike down before at 35 mph and i'm hoping not to do it again. if anyone has any experience or nollidge, pass it my way.
and if i were to run 1 and 1, would i be better off with the fatty up front, or on the rear?
thanks
Old 02-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetishridr View Post
for those of you out there who race, or who ride 90 degree corners at 30 mph frequently, what would be the ideal tire size to ride on a wet road. i have one 23c tire conti grand prix 4 season, but my other one got shredded. I also have some conti grand prix 3 seasons that i won, but they are 25 c. i've laid my bike down before at 35 mph and i'm hoping not to do it again. if anyone has any experience or nollidge, pass it my way.
and if i were to run 1 and 1, would i be better off with the fatty up front, or on the rear?
thanks
I run (on mysteel frame commuter) 700 X 28c year round, i haven't slipped on anything but man hole covers, didn't spill, just slipped. I run gatorskins. I like the bigger tire because it softens the road feel, but i also run with max air pressure.

On my fancy, (not really fancy) light, Giant TCR 2, i run gatorskins, but i roll with 700 X 23c. But I don't take my Giant to work, bars, errands or anything else, i just ride it for fun.

But i like the 700 x 28c better, and i don't notice any speed difference. Plus the bigger tires work better in the still graveled covered areas in the bike lanes. Plus if i have to cyclocross i feel better about it with the bigger tires, even though there slicks, i've done it. My top speed is 48 MPH on the gatorskins, rounding a corner behind a semi-truck. I should have taken a picture!
Old 02-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Site Admin

I have had good luck with gatorskins as well, your 4 seasons should actually grip a little better, but they aren't as durable for commuting. Going with the 25c's will help, many pros ride that size on wet, slick courses. Most companies make race specific tires that grip extremely well, the draw back is that they use a soft, sticky rubber that gives great traction but wears out fast. If you are not having problems with flats, I would say go with the 25c 4 seasons.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Site Admin

I ride 25's in the wet season as well.

If you are going to ride 2 different widths, you should run the fat one up front, the skinny in back. Many mountain, cross and bmx bikes are set up this way. Greater speed from the skinny on the drivetrain end of things, greater traction on the steering end.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Site Admin

I ran 25's up until early January and have switched to 28's. The size difference is not huge for most but I feel alot more stable during wet rides.
The 25's during the heart of winter I found to be on the unstable side; my comute can take me up to speeds of 30mph and with my 240 pound lard ass going down hills with the wind, rain and ice I at times felt out of control. The 28's are slower I suppose but I feel much more solid on the road. Good luck finding your tires and ride safe.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Site Admin

One other trick that racers use is to run a bit lower tire pressure in wet conditions. I use Gatorskin 23s on my rain bike at 95-100 psi with good results.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Site Admin

Default thanks

i ended up running both 25c conti gran prix at around 100psi. They were lighter than the other 23c tires that i have. after all the trouble it didnt even rain during the race, but the 25c tires were nice on smooth on the chip seales roads. now if i can only make it into the right break.