Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Site Admin

Default panniers and computers

i've toyed with getting both of these things. im curious who has what and what you like about them and don't like about them. the panniers i'm interested in would be used for light-ish touring. no crazy, super long rides in my future (unfortunately). any cyclometer i'd be interested in could be fairly low-tech. i don't give a damn about cadence or heart rate, i'm just interested in knowing how far i ride sometimes.

what do you have??? thanks.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Site Admin

There is a discussion on the Cascade Bike Club forums on panniers. It is lively. The Ortlieb and Jandd folks are squaring off. I have a Jandd commuter pannier, have used it since the early 90's and it hasn't died yet. That said, Ortliebs are completely waterproof, and a lot of commuters at work use them.

Bike computer - cadence is a good thing, really, if you are working on getting yours up. Lets you know when you not spinning as fast as you think you are. That said, whatever is on sale at Performance seems to work. I've got an old Cateye w/speed and cadence, still mostly works.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Site Admin

I just got a Sigma Sport computer. It's a cheap one but it does almost everything I want. Mileage, time elapsed, the actual time and something else I'm not sure what the hell it is. It always has your speed up and can be set to rotate through the options.

One thing it doesn't have that I expected and kind of want is a total mileage and time. It's not a biggie, tho.

I've had two different Axiom panniers, the Cartier and the Mackenzie. They're basically the same except the Cartier has a pouch on the back side for water bottles or some random cylindrical or stuffable item and a mesh pocket on the outside. They're pretty rain and spray proof and run about $50. I liked them.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Site Admin

I've never used panniers, so I can't offer any advice there.

I've had a Vetta computer on one of my bikes for 6 years now. A couple of years ago, I took it off my bike after a ride and stuck it in a jersey pocket. I then proceeded to soak the jersey in a bucket of soapy water for two days, forgetting the computer was in the pocket.

Surprisingly, the computer suffered no ill affects whatsoever and continues to work perfectly to this day. Needless to say, Vettas are VERY watertight!
Old 02-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Site Admin

I like the Ortlieb panniers, they are waterproof (with a 5 year warranty) and come in different colors.

I use a cat-eye computer, it is on its second season, still works great, it has handled the rain just fine (I rarely remove it so it sees a lot of rain). trek and Specialized computers have larger displays (cat-eyes is fairly small and hard to see in low light conditions), I don't have any expirience with them though. All the brands offer sveral models, from basic to everything you will never need.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainperimeter View Post
i've toyed with getting both of these things. im curious who has what and what you like about them and don't like about them. the panniers i'm interested in would be used for light-ish touring. no crazy, super long rides in my future (unfortunately). any cyclometer i'd be interested in could be fairly low-tech. i don't give a damn about cadence or heart rate, i'm just interested in knowing how far i ride sometimes.

what do you have??? thanks.
The axium panniers I saw are med size quick to go on and off and waterproof new cost $75 for both and a cyclometer about $9 both are at Hollywood Cycling.net 52nd and Sandy. (best prices in town) I think
Old 02-15-2007, 09:02 PM
The Management
Site Admin

Bill,

I think it's great you have joined the forums and are contributing. How about just offering your advice, and then putting your shop's name and contact information in the signature?

If you mention your store each time you post, than it sort of looks like you're here more for the advertising than for contributing to the community.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:20 PM
Site Admin

R_P, here's my experience in relation to your question: Cateye cyclometers work very well, no probs with rain, I've got one that's 5+ years, battery replacement only. Bike Nashbar ones quit after one Oregon shower (as do some of their lights) --- very wimpy. Panniers: the Ortleibs are great in every respect ,except: no side pockets! This would be very annoying while touring, as it's nice to have a few hidey holes for stuff. I've got some older Vaude panniers for touring, i don't think they're sold anymore in the US. Still, for commuting/touring versatility, the Ortleibs would do fine i should think.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:01 AM
Site Admin

my friend has a blackburn MF1 front rack. i like it as does she. seemingly blackburn doesn't make it anymore? i've noticed that the only sites that have it for sale, though i do not intend to buy it online, are all in england.

comments on that.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Site Admin

Default Ortlieb bags

I've used Ortlieb bags for three years and they have remained bone dry in even the worst weather. I have a seatpost mounted rack because my bike has no braze-ons and the setup works great. I have a Polar HRM/Computer that has also put up with all the weather. I agree with the other posters about cheap computers, you get what you pay for. Polar, Cateye both make good products that hold up. I had a Vetta that didn't last a year.