Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2007, 08:12 PM
Site Admin

Default when is it OK not to stop?

This is a question I have been asking myself. I am a daily commuter and I stop at all the stop lights and stop signs on my ride. except the stop sign before the traffic circle in ladds addition and those two other intersections controlled by stop signs where I turn right.
whether its legal or not is not my interest yet what are other commuters styles in navigating their urban commute?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Site Admin

If the coast is clear, I pedal through stop signs.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Site Admin

I don't stop when I'm riding on some street in outer East very early in the morning and this pack of men who look like they're meth heads are headed towards me walking in the street on my side. That's when I quickly become a wrong-way cyclist and blow the stop sign ahead. I cannot imagine any police officer in this city would have written a ticket when that happened to me. If someone had, I would have fought it tooth and nail.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:25 AM
Site Admin

at least come to some semblance of a stop, not like the 3 second rule but you can pretty much come to a full stop and keep your momentum going. erring on the side of caution, id say always come to complete stop during the day, night time in quiet residential is different. at least get some lights!!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 06:25 AM
Site Admin

Default Never Steal Someone's Right-of-Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil M View Post
This is a question I have been asking myself. I am a daily commuter and I stop at all the stop lights and stop signs on my ride. except the stop sign before the traffic circle in ladds addition and those two other intersections controlled by stop signs where I turn right.
whether its legal or not is not my interest yet what are other commuters styles in navigating their urban commute?
Never Steal Someone's Right-of-Way. That's my rule. I don't know if it matters if a policeman see's me going through a red or stop sign but I slow to the point of stopping. If I see no one, I go. Otherwise I stop.

Work to Eat
Eat to Live
Live to Bike
Bike to Work
Old 02-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Site Admin

Over the years I think I've learned the hard way. I make both my wheels stop in a track stand, look left, look right, look left again before proceeding, at all stop signs, no matter what, day or night. It really pisses the people who ride with me off, but hey, the hurts last longer now days and it is the right thing to do.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
both my wheels stop in a track stand, look left, look right, look left again before proceeding, at all stop signs, no matter what, day or night.
Plus, it makes you stronger. It's hard to find places in inner Portland to 'train', the ol' sprint two blocks, stop, repeat is a great way to develop explosive power
Old 02-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Site Admin

Default slow enough to be able to stop

i slow down enough to check both directions twice and to be able to stop in time if i missed something. i'm more cautious than pretty much every other biker under 40 i see, but you know, those bikers over 40 are over 40 for a reason.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Site Admin

Default i roll through w/out traffic

i slow to a 5mph roll seated, then stand and sprint two pedal strokes. from a distance, it looks like a stop for the the five O, but i dont slow at all. i dont run any lights though. but just remember, the new ghost cycle on stark is a result of rolling through.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:03 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_khad1 View Post
Never Steal Someone's Right-of-Way.
Can we make stickers and/or patches that say that?