Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Site Admin

Smile Bike Date

For the last few weeks my S.O., Carolyn, and I have been going on 'bike dates'. We go out on the town on a Friday evening, on a 'date' via bike. Our objectives are have fun, socialize and travel at a casual pace. Last night we hit a couple local spots on the Eastside. What a great evening for a bike date. The moon was full and the weather has been stellar!
Heading down the Clinton bike route we zipped thru the intersection at 7 corners and both instinctively began heading down Ladd Avenue, toward work...Ooops! A quick right put us on 20th and back on track. We took the tourist route toward Hawthorne weaving thru the back streets. We met some friends at Imbibe, laughed about the old days living in the dorms and enjoyed some fine tunes ala Little Sue. After the music had wound down about 9 o'clock, Carolyn and I jumped on our trusty rides and peddled off to Belmont to check out 'the Blue Monk'. We both love this place. Belgian Beers out the wazooo, live Jazz music and great food. We sampled a little of all 3.
The great thing about bike dating is the relative freedom it offers. It's a chance to slow down on the bike and plod along. Something I think we all forget to do sometimes. I know in the mornings headed downtown, I'm like everyone else. How fast can I hammer to the office...? On a bike date it's just You and your Sweety cruising thru the neighborhoods, enjoying a pleasantly casual pace, maybe you stop to look at something in a store window, check out that really sweet house for sale, or change direction mid-trip. We really enjoy these dates. For us it's all about meandering to get to our destination. Especially when the weather is as nice as it has been the past couple weeks.
I'd like to see more folks out on bike dates. Maybe we could start a bike date Friday or something. Encourage pubs/resturants to offer incentives for Bike Daters to come to there establishments one Friday night a month. Just a thought.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Site Admin

This is an excellent idea! We'd definitely show up.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:18 PM
Site Admin

my gf and i, every date we take is a bike date. from the very first one to the nice long ride we took today to the coffee shop for a treat and coffee. are there any other types of dates???

Last edited by rainperimeter; 02-05-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Site Admin

Default sometimes i go on car dates

i'd love bike date incentives from restaurants, especially considering that car dates have been the exception (reserved for pretty severe rain/cold and distances over ten miles) for the last five years of my love life.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Site Admin

Default From the Burley boys

I've got two lads in diapers who would be the first to say "Bike play dates RULE!"
Old 02-05-2007, 07:43 AM
Site Admin

Talking Cool...

Well, It sounds as if some folks would want to, and some folks already do go out on " bike dates". Great! I'm going to try to work on this. I wll be contacting pubs and resturants on the inner Eastside at first. If anyone has contacts at a place or want to help send them my way. My idea is an e-vite with ads from participating businesses for that week which you could download and take out on a designated Friday along with proof you rode there, like your helmet. We could focus on different street/area each month... Maybe there could be a designated starting point or end that way we could create a visible bike date presence.
I think this is great way to get more folks out on the town in a recreational mode.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Site Admin

At first when I read this I was thinking like rainperimeter - is there any other way? But obviously we're not facing Copenhagen-level bike traffic jams when going out to dinner, so I guess lots of folks haven't smelled the Monkey Grip yet.

Then I thought of Pedalpalooza. Perfect time to promote dating by bike!
There's the Bike Kiss-in event. (Not to be confused with the KISS bike.) Maybe the Bike Date could be a Kiss-in after-event (or a lead-up to it, for those who are still "just friends").
Or someone could do a repeat of the Prom Alleycat.
Now that's a bike date!

And of course the hot ticket for bikey-geeky couples comes up in a couple weeks - the Alice Awards.
Watching the folks roll up in the fancy duds is a yearly treat for the pedal papparazzi.

Last edited by cap'n pastry; 02-24-2007 at 11:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Site Admin

Default count us in

This is a great idea. Beth and I would love to join in on the bike date fun. Here's a couple of ideas: The neighborhood and business associations are currently doing work to get on-street bike parking in on Belmont. If they're successful, I think that would make for a great bike date. Go to the Theatre! Theatre! or Avalon or Tao of Tea or Blue Monk for jazz or well there's lots of options... and park in swank new bike parking. Or, if the Bike Oasises on Hawthorne go in first, that would be a great place for a date too.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Site Admin

Talking Hot Dog... bike daters unite!

I like the ideas you guys are coming up with. I'll follow up on them. Please keep'em coming or pm me to get involved.
tbird
Old 02-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Site Admin

Default Woo-Hoo!

My lady and I's first date and the many following were/are bike dates! I think it's a great idea for businesses to support. Count us in!