Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Site Admin

If you DO decide to go up over Pete's Mountain, please be careful.

If it's a sunny day, be aware that under the tree canopy, cars cannot see you. It's a twisty, steep road that can have a lot of traffic, and there are some blind corners that you simply can't see around.

If you need to stop to rest, please pull off into one of the numerous driveways, DON'T just stop at the side of the road.

If there are a lot of you, it would be beneficial to have some sort of Sag Wagon that can follow your group up with four-way flashers on, just so you don't get run over by impatient people trying to get to the golf course at the top, or trying to get home.

I grew up on top of "the Hill", and my parents still live up there. I've never biked up the Hill, though; I'm a hill weenie. There aren't any shoulders or bike lanes on the Hill, either.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Site Admin

Default Remember these 2 things

A couple more things:

First: If you take bikieboys route, I wouldn't go up Pete's Mountain. Instead, stay on Willamette Falls Blvd in West Linn (which becomes Borland Rd outside of town) and then turn left onto Turner Road. That hooks up with Mountain Road at the top, which will take you all the way down to the ferry. It's an easier grade, and a lot less dangerous.

Second: If you are going via Oregon City, the Oak's Bottom path to 17th to River Road route has a tricky bit once you get to downtown Milwaukie. At the intersection of 17th and 99E, turn right onto the paved path through the Milwaukie Riverfront Park. Go south through the park until the waste water treatment plant is right in front of you. Then turn towards the river, and there'll be a bike path entrance at the end of the little driveway. This path will take you between the water plant and the river, and prevents you from having to get on 99E. Then just turn left up Bob White street, and get on the River Road couplet, and go up the hill.

The rest of the navigation is pretty easy. Just write if you have any questions.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA_CA View Post
If you should decide to come through Hillsboro please stop by my shop for refreshments. If I have an ETA I can have the coffee, tea or OJ ready and some pastries- I hear we have a new bakery-and this will be reason to try it.
Good luck and have a great trip. This goes for any other riders...just let me know how many to expect and when. Nancy @ Pedestrian & Safety Products, 131 SE 3rd AVE., Hillsboro, OR. 503.648.5300
First of all I'd like to put in a plug for NA_CA's shop... Lots of nice visibility gear that might prove useful on your adventure.

Second, I might reconsider the route you've choosen... I would work west from Portland by the transit train MAX to Hillsboro and set yourself up some nice lodging in Forest Grove. Get a good night's rest, a hearty breakfast (Maggy's Buns?) and trek straight down to McMinnville down hwy 47. It is a beautiful ride (renowned as a matter of fact) and relatively calm on the weekdays. ('relatively' is relative, of course). Your first day will still be under 100 miles. You will also have decent shoulders all the way down to McMinnville.

Please head the warnings of others about roads around Portland. We have a lot of trees here and many roads are windy and narrow when you get off the beaten path... And Portlandians are very impatient people when it comes to driving. Once you get away from the city lights, you can relax a bit... but never let down your guard.

Enjoy the trip... when will you be here?
Old 02-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Site Admin

A warning on the Canby Ferry as well - the hill down to the ferry is quite steep.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Site Admin

Here is that west-from-Portland route I promised you. Maybe it is a bit long...

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...ion-to-Newberg

If you want more information about it, just email me.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Site Admin

Lightbulb Hwy.#6?

Quote:
Second, I might reconsider the route you've choosen... I would work west from Portland by the transit train MAX to Hillsboro and set yourself up some nice lodging in Forest Grove. Get a good night's rest, a hearty breakfast (Maggy's Buns?)
That is an interesting suggestion!
We could cycle west from Union Station to Forest Grove. (I'm leary of trying to take a fully loaded touring bike with tent, sleeping bag and 4 panniers onto rapid transit during rush hour) Then the next morning we could head west to Cape Lookout State Park via hwy #6.

Thanks for all this great advice. All of you fellow cyclists have been very helpful.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Site Admin

Highway 6 is not a bad option - not as quiet & scenic as the Nestucca, but a relatively low traffic route to the coast:

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...ex.cfm?c=39889

make sure you take the 3 Capes scenic route via Cape Meare out to Cape Lookout from Tillamook - it's a little extra climb & a little longer but really an exquisite ride. Of course, it's easy for me to tell you all to do a little extra climbing, i haven't just ridden 60-some loaded miles...

And, for places to stay in Forest Grove (just a few miles west of Hillsboro), you might want to try McMenamin's Grand Lodge.

http://www.thegrandlodge.com/index.php?loc=59&id=464
Old 02-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Canucks View Post
That is an interesting suggestion!
We could cycle west from Union Station to Forest Grove. (I'm leary of trying to take a fully loaded touring bike with tent, sleeping bag and 4 panniers onto rapid transit during rush hour) Then the next morning we could head west to Cape Lookout State Park via hwy #6.

Thanks for all this great advice. All of you fellow cyclists have been very helpful.
I wouldn't recommend trying to get a group of cyclists with touring gear on the MAX, either. It will be crowded...

However, you can also get out to the coast the "southern" route from Forest Grove. If you follow the Bikely route I posted, perhaps after spending a great night at the Grand Lodge, soaking in their hot soaking pool, and having a great dinner with their very own microbrews and/or wines in the Ironwork Grill, with breakfast at the very same grill OR Maggie's Buns (drop dead excellent sticky buns) if you head south as posted, but at Ewing Young Elementary, turn onto Dopp Rd (it would be a right off North Valley from my route, just before the school), and follow these maps from Map 3, Portland to the Beach:
http://www.reachthebeach.org/

To actually GET to these maps I mention, click on Event Information on the left side, and then Route Maps and Info. You are interested in the Portland to the Beach (which is really south Beaverton to the Beach ) and Amity to the Beach. This route takes you over the Little Nestucca and all. And it is really nice, especially since you AREN'T doing the Beaverton to Ewing Young Elementary part.