Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2007, 10:21 PM
Site Admin

Default Stolen Bike Listings

Is it just me, or is the grand majority of the bikes under the stolen bike listings either un-locked, or locked with a cable lock? In a way it makes me happy that Portland isn't New York City and bike theft isn't so bad that thieves can break through everything except the highest end Kryptonite lock (and even then, they can do it with enough time). Has anyone had a bike stolen that was properly locked with a high quality U-Lock (as in, costed you more than 40 dollars new)? How about those hefty chain locks, anyone lost a whip with that thing securing your ride? It just seems to me that the majority of Portland bike thieves are still in the innocent stage where they're targetting easy bikes that only take 5 seconds and a pair of bolt cutters to get through, as opposed to more tough jobs like breaking through a Kryptonite NYFU lock...

People, if you're using cable locks to lock your bikes, it better be because the bike is not worth much more then the lock, because those things are merely preventing the oppurtunistic thief that sees an unlocked bike and goes for it.

Last edited by rubbish heap; 01-31-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:57 PM
Site Admin

Personally, I think every LBS and store that sells cable locks in this area should be required to post a warning about them. I was in a LBS a few months ago and I watched a salesperson tell someone buying a new bike that a cable lock would be just fine. I had to wonder if we were living in the same Portland, OR.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Site Admin

Yeah, I was told by someone at a shop months ago that my cable lock would be fine because it was thicker than the other models on the market.

I don't really think thickness in cable locks is much of a deterrant though, it's still the same flawed concept that only works in extremely trusting societies such as places in Asia where theft isn't much of a worry.

But man, only one measly reply in a day? I know you guys are concerned about bike theft, c'mon now. Whether you're riding a 5,000 dollar road racing machine or a 150 dollar 70's Schwinn off craigslist, no one likes to return to the bike rack and see nothing but a broken lock.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbish heap View Post
But man, only one measly reply in a day? I know you guys are concerned about bike theft, c'mon now. Whether you're riding a 5,000 dollar road racing machine or a 150 dollar 70's Schwinn off craigslist, no one likes to return to the bike rack and see nothing but a broken lock.
Well, there are other threads about bicycle locks... Just look around a little.

And don't buy cable locks, get a chain. NYC Fagetaboutit

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A194614011&page=1
Old 02-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Site Admin

Default chains?

Confucious say- "Bolt cutter slice through chain like butter"

Fagetaboutit.. Being there when you get back! If you want it safe, buy a u-lock.

Regular day in the bike shop...

Customer- "Where do you keep the locks?"

Friendly sales staff- "What type of bike do you ride and where do you lock it?"

Customer- "What difference does it make? Oh here they are..."

FSS- "Well if it is an expensive bike and you are locking it somewhere high-risk, you should probably look at a U-lock."

Customer- "Those are heavy!"

Customer- "40 dollars for a lock!!!!"

FSS- "Well I use this 80 dollar New-York lock and a thick cable for my wheels."

Customer- "They have those at freddies for $12.95!!!"

Customer- "I am pretty sure I have a lock at home anyway"

Customer "40 dollars for a lock, everything is soooo expensive here!!!"

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Two weeks later...

Meth head on phone- "Do you guys buy used bikes?"

Meth head #2 on phone- "Yeah I got one of those Trek bikes, whats it worth?

FSS- "Well what did you pay for it?

Meth head #2- "Uhhhh, my friend gave it to me.... I mean I bought it for 20 dollars."

FSS- "Well sounds like it is worth 20 dollars, yeah?"

Meth head #2 "Yeah but do you guys want to buy it? I heard they are worth a lot!"

FSS- "Well we don't buy used bikes because they are usually stolen. I suggest giving it back to the person you stole it from"

Meth head then either argues that they really were given it by their daddies, sisters, baby momma, or they get pissed and hang up.

This happens every single day. I used to try and get them to come in so I can run the serial numbers, but it has never worked. The serial number is pretty much useless. If I tried to keep records of these nuts, I would go nuts as we see several of them a day. Makes me want to scream!

My favorite is the guy with shoes rotting off his feet, who comes in complaining that the gas station air hose won't inflate the shock on his 4000 dollar mountain bike. He of course bought it new, from a "shop" in some other state.

Never mind that he is riding on clipless eggbeaters and tennis shoes, or that the shop did not bother to give him a shock pump, or explain the intricacies of owning a 4 grand full suspension bike....

That one happens about once a month or so.... Meth sure does suck!

Last edited by steelsreal; 02-02-2007 at 04:00 PM. Reason: psychopharmacology
Old 02-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbish heap View Post
Yeah, I was told by someone at a shop months ago that my cable lock would be fine because it was thicker than the other models on the market.

I don't really think thickness in cable locks is much of a deterrant though, it's still the same flawed concept that only works in extremely trusting societies such as places in Asia where theft isn't much of a worry.

Nationwide, the most common type of bike theft is the bike that was left unlocked for "just a minute." The second most common is the cable lock that was cut. In Portland, the stolen bike listings all seem to have one element in common: the bike was locked with a cable lock, and a thief with cable cutters came along and took it. They can cut cables really, really fast. There's a thread on this forum about a guy watching a thief walk up to his bike with a pair of bolt cutters.

Anybody who doesn't buy the best u-lock or best chain and lock combo available-- most likely New York Fahgeddaboudit, maybe OnGuard as well-- might as well just put a free bike sign up every time they leave their bike. No matter how expensive the lock is, the bike is (usually) more expensive.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPcyclistic View Post
Well, there are other threads about bicycle locks... Just look around a little.

And don't buy cable locks, get a chain. NYC Fagetaboutit

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A194614011&page=1
Sure. Though I did watch a video on youtube of some Brits breaking 75 pound motorcycle chain locks with some heavy duty bolt cutters in about 13 seconds, and I'm not too keen on riding with the chain as my belt, so heavy duty U Locks like the NYFU are in my opinion the best.

Right now I'm rocking a Mini-Evo but my current bike isn't overly expensive.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Site Admin

Default Fagetaboutit

Yeah...

Fagetaboutit, being there when you come back!

Fagetaboutit, actually working!

Fagetaboutit, preventing theft!

Fagetaboutit, being more than a not-so-clever name!

Fagetaboutit, protecting more than your huffy!

Buy a u-lock, and use it everywhere you go. Use a cable or chain for your wheels only.

Or, you can just... Fagetaboutit! You want to buy a new bike anyway, right?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Site Admin

The New York Fahgettaboudit IS a u-lock.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Site Admin

Default my bad

Well, since you went to the trouble to look at their site, I am assuming you know that it is also a chain?

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/inetis...s_item&pgrp=20

The previous poster NEPcyclistic was recommending the fahgedaboutit chain.... You know, context and all. Sheesh.

I had only seen the yellow U-lock called the New York Kryptolock. I see they also have a u-lock with the same name. Congratulations.

My point was, chains and cables are easy to cut. Meaning they suck! If anyone doubts this, please sign a waiver refusing to prosecute me and let me know where your bike is locked. I will videotape myself stealing it in less than a minute, then auction your bike with the money going to the BTA.

Any takers?