Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Newbie Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Site Admin

Hi I just joined this forum a few days ago. I just bought a brand new bike and started doing a combination of biking and riding max transit from Beaverton to Clackamas. Heres what I have:

Old 06-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Site Admin

Nice bike! and Welcome!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Cool Behold The [męd͡ʒƐstɪk Ɛks] Before Its Transformation

[męd͡ʒƐstɪk Ɛks] is the name of this bicycle as you'd pronounce it. The brackets ('[' ']') indicate that this is how something sounds, the other symbols represent the individual sounds that make up the name. The alphabet being used is the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA). If you knew the IPA, and could reproduce each sound, you could pronounce the name of the bike, or anything written in IPA in any language, even if you don't know the language.

For speakers of English, this is pronounced exactly like you'd think "Majestic X" would be. This name is a nod to my newfound Faith, and my pursuit of a degree in linguistics.

As you can see, the bike is just beginning it's transformation. Soon it will undergo a color change. Retro-Reflective blue films will cover the upper surfaces of the bike. Retro-Reflective black will be used for the fork, and the underside of it. Retro-Reflective white will be used for the details.

Rubberside Down!
God Bless!
K'Tesh

Additional lights, fenders, and a rack, as well as different pedals, and tires will round out the overall bike.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 06-09-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Site Admin

I'm sure the road rash tips didn't heal the old bike so what did it take to have the insurance cough up this new steed? And did they indeed make you whole without added expese to you? Inquiring minds want to know
Old 06-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Red face Boy did I mess up there...

I've moved the last two posts out of Road Rash, and to treat it... thread. Sorry about that... My excuse, two tabs open at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
I'm sure the road rash tips didn't heal the old bike so what did it take to have the insurance cough up this new steed? And did they indeed make you whole without added expese to you? Inquiring minds want to know
Well, My "old" bike (Ludwig) wasn't that old. The frame was replaced in August of last year. With the frame that made up "Henry" (a GT Transeo 1.0 Disk), I had paid for a bike fit, and had special parts for that. I also had upgraded the wheels, covered the bike in retro-reflective films, had a computer, fenders, and a rack. My bike was nice, and the parts were of very good quality. I took the bike to the Bike Gallery (The $30 charge was paid by his insurance), and they went over it with a fine toothed comb. If it was damaged (and thus unsafe), or irrepairable, it was added to the list. After that, I went over the list, and pointed out the few things that were overlooked (like the reflective films, the Lightweights for Wheels, as well as the bike fit). All in all, the bike was a total loss.

I then looked around, and found the nearest match that I could to what Ludwig was. That cost was added to the list as well. Total losses that the insurance company accepted was $1800.00 (I believe it should have been $2030.00, for the now unusable custom built rear wheel), but they withheld 20% from "my portion of liability" in respect to the crash. I took the figure that they offered to the attorney I was thinking about using (Swanson, Thomas, and Coon), and asked if it was worth retaining them, or not. I was advised that the figure should have been higher (I should have been cleared of any liability), but hiring them at this time, isn't worth the effort (pain and suffering may be a different story).

When the driver wasn't cited, I began the process for a Citizen's Initiated traffic citation (Citizen's Arrest). The responding officer then offered to cite the driver without going through that process, I accepted. I have yet to be subpoenaed for that citation (the driver may have plead no contest/or guilty).

I took all emails from the insurance investigator, replied to them, and openly included a copy to the lawyer.

I carefully documented my bike and all it's damages (photos).

As my bike is my "car" I asked for a rental car to make up for the loss of use. They didn't rent a car for me, but gave me the amount necessary to rent one if I needed to (less 20%) for the time that it took to investigate the claim.

I am not whole, yet, but I think that it will come in time, now is not the time to fight the 80%/20% issue.

The new bike still needs to undergo the reflective treatment, and the bike fit is scheduled for tomorrow.

I'd strongly encourage all to go to Ray Thomas' presentations at BTA of "Bikes and the Law" for more info on how to protect yourself against possible losses incurred by crashes.

Knowledge is Power!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 06-09-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
I've moved the last two posts out of Road Rash, and to treat it... thread. Sorry about that... My excuse, two tabs open at the same time.

Well, My "old" bike (Ludwig) wasn't that old. The frame was replaced in August of last year. With the frame that made up "Henry" (a GT Transeo 1.0 Disk), I had paid for a bike fit, and had special parts for that. I also had upgraded the wheels, covered the bike in retro-reflective films, had a computer, fenders, and a rack. My bike was nice, and the parts were of very good quality. I took the bike to the Bike Gallery (The $30 charge was paid by his insurance), and they went over it with a fine toothed comb. If it was damaged (and thus unsafe), or irrepairable, it was added to the list. After that, I went over the list, and pointed out the few things that were overlooked (like the reflective films, the Lightweights for Wheels, as well as the bike fit). All in all, the bike was a total loss.

I then looked around, and found the nearest match that I could to what Ludwig was. That cost was added to the list as well. Total losses that the insurance company accepted was $1800.00 (I believe it should have been $2030.00, for the now unusable custom built rear wheel), but they withheld 20% from "my portion of liability" in respect to the crash. I took the figure that they offered to the attorney I was thinking about using (Swanson, Thomas, and Coon), and asked if it was worth retaining them, or not. I was advised that the figure should have been higher (I should have been cleared of any liability), but hiring them at this time, isn't worth the effort (pain and suffering may be a different story).

When the driver wasn't cited, I began the process for a Citizen's Initiated traffic citation (Citizen's Arrest). The responding officer then offered to cite the driver without going through that process, I accepted. I have yet to be subpoenaed for that citation (the driver may have plead no contest/or guilty).

I took all emails from the insurance investigator, replied to them, and openly included a copy to the lawyer.

I carefully documented my bike and all it's damages (photos).

As my bike is my "car" I asked for a rental car to make up for the loss of use. They didn't rent a car for me, but gave me the amount necessary to rent one if I needed to (less 20%) for the time that it took to investigate the claim.

I am not whole, yet, but I think that it will come in time, now is not the time to fight the 80%/20% issue.

The new bike still needs to undergo the reflective treatment, and the bike fit is scheduled for tomorrow.

I'd strongly encourage all to go to Ray Thomas' presentations at BTA of "Bikes and the Law" for more info on how to protect yourself against possible losses incurred by crashes.

Knowledge is Power!
K'Tesh
About the comment posted in the other, not basically related thread, I wondered...'What the hey is this doing here?' Oh well!

I'm liking young Majestic X. Something about the slightly larger wheels make 29'rs look much more graceful than mountain bikes with 26" wheels.

I'm somewhat curious about what the insurance company felt accounted for your 20 percent responsibility. No need to explain though. 80 percent recovery is something to feel quite good about.

It's encouraging that the cop was prepared to step right up and issue the citation. If it comes to court, hope it stands.

Best part, is that it's all quickly becoming past history! Enjoy the new rig!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Site Admin

Smile My Two Loves

Bike# 1, My Diamond Back Sorrento, perhaps 1990? What I really like about this bike is the back rack which I added to the frame with copper plumber's tape, a used inner tube, and spare hardware. Copper or tin plumber's tape is what every cyclist aught to have in their tool bag!!
The bike is slower than a road bike but easier to maneuver on city streets. It is a tank, weighing in at 35#s. I used white glue to prevent the bike seat from cracking any further. The reflectors on the frame were originally purchased at an auto parts store.
100_1139.jpg

The reason I have two bikes is to allow me to work on overhauling one while I ride the other. Also for riding variety sake.

100_1141.jpg

Bike#2, Almost an antique: American Eagle, Nishiki, 21 speed bike. 1975! I do like the antiquated braking system, especially when I desire to sit upright on busy streets. Don't you just love that rusted out chrome disk in back? Much lighter than the mountain bike, weighing in at 28#s. I recently had my daughter ride this bike. Prior to the ride she let the bike fall swiftly to the ground, by not negotiating a tight turn while walking it. The handlebar stem split. I was able to rectify this by purchasing a new and better stem at NorthEast Community Bike Center. I feel as if I were hang gliding when I descend down a steep hill like SW Terwilliger with this bike.
I included in this photo a bike NASHBAR floor pump, since it has lasted me over 20 years. And besides, http://bikenashbar.com is also an incredible online place to shop.

PS. You will note that I am a die hard toe clip user.

Last edited by Dovestrobe; 07-12-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Site Admin

After a long, very long hiatus from two wheels, self propelled, (I'm a motorcyclist) I picked up a used Trek 830. I've set it up for street riding as I'm more likely to ride on asphalt than I am to ride on dirt.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Site Admin

Default Who TOWS what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
(*)
So, awhile back I picked up an old Rock Hopper for $10. The decals are pealing, the paint is scraped with some surface rust, the shifters don't index anymore but do work in friction mode, and it rides perfectly well. One tire was fully rotted out in the sidewalls, tube bulging through, the other was OK but too knobby for what I like on the street. It's too small for me but I think my sis-in-law will fit it. She's a good candidate for a bike, both for the exercise and for the saved gas money, and if she doesn't ride it her kids will. I wanted to set it up myself but, well, my round tuits ran thin. So I decided the new, struggling LBS could use the business of a general inspection and maintenance (doesn't need full overhaul) and install lights and fenders. So, being a beautiful day and a fairly short ride, I hog-tied it to my steed* and towed it over by bike, much to the appreciation of the shop owner (Scott at Schroeder's Schwinn).

Here's the tow rig:

Last edited by Alan; 07-30-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Site Admin

That tow rig is awesome!