Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Newbie Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Site Admin

Default Giant OCR Commuter

My ride is a Giant OCR3.

Swapped the drop bars for a flat bar and mtn shifters. (The front derailleur is a pain because it was not a designed to work with flat bar shifters. But when it's tuned it works well.)

Full fenders, Conti Ultra Gatorskins 700x28 (great tires!), MiNewt x2 Dual front lights. The wheelbase on the bike is so short that I had to go with a JANDD Expedition rack so that the panniers sit far enough back that I don't bump them with my feet. And my morning coffee!

I love the road bike feel combine with having my shifters and brake handles convenient for city riding.

An upgrade to a Trek Portland would be sexier, and I'd love to have disc brakes in the rain. But this bike is comfortable and and works great for most of my riding.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-05-2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Downloaded attachment, uploaded to flickr
Old 08-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettoo View Post
Behold the timeless beauty of my oma.
Shweet - that is a classic looking bike !!
Old 08-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Site Admin

Default Back in the saddle

After several years off --- I've sold my urbanized Trek 4900 Mtn Bike for a nice hybrid-road bike for commuting.

Picked up a Giant FCR-2 (their mid-range flat bar road bike) - added a rack - single rear pannier and some Planet Bike fenders. Most importantly I was able to get an XL frame to fit my 6'2" frame. Rides great - even the stock seat is comfy.

I hope to make bike commuting a year round thing -- between gas prices and the Doc shaking the diabetes type II stick at me - I gotta get things going
Old 08-07-2008, 01:07 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCog View Post
Shweet - that is a classic looking bike !!
Thank you. You can get one very similar to it at Clever Cycles, when they re-open.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking Meet Henry (the Eighth Dammit)...

Ok, I've been sitting on this one for a week... I was hoping to have it completly covered by Monday (8/4/08 ), but due to delays in getting the retroreflective film, that didn't happen.

Henry (the Eighth Dammit), and the Hawthorne Bridge

I'm not thrilled with silver because of its poor reflective properties... So, Henry will be covered in gold film with black details.

It's kinda hard to see the bike even with flash photography

It's a 2008 GT Transeo 1.0, I had the seat swapped out for a WTB seat, and changed the brakes to Avid BB7 Disks (was ProMax direct-pull brakes). I added a pump, waterbottle cages, a Cateye Computer, and a Planet Bike Superflash taillight, the rest is stock. I've ordered a NiteRider MiNewt X2 for it, and it's expected soon. As to the rest of the lighting, I'm not certain how much I'm going to add.

I've been dropping hints about it all week, most notably the comment about the 700c x 35 wheels in the post about Standard TV and Appliance's driveway drain trap...

This is the bike I hope to ride on the 2009 Cycle Oregon ride. My Mom also got a new bike, but I'll let her announce that if/when she decides to get online.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-07-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:36 PM
Site Admin

Default meet Seamus

This is Seamus, which is the bike I've ridden off-and-on for ten years, since picking him up at the Vinnie's warehouse in Eugene for $15. It was love at first sight.

I started seriously commuting with him this year, so I'm only now getting around to the pile of work he needs; he's on his second saddle (saving for a Brooks saddle as we speak), I got a new (taller) seatpost, I just had the entire pedal/crank/chainring/bb assembly replaced (converting him from a ten-speed to a five), his wheels need some serious work, and there's a stem/bar combo I've been eying over at Rivendell. Really, by the time I'm done fixing him the only original components will be the frame and the fenders--my friend keeps asking why I don't just buy a new bike (and I even started a thread when I was planning to do just that).

Amidst all the moving I've done the past ten years, I've owned a *lot* of bikes. I've had road bikes, mountain bikes, I borrowed a sweet Peugeout (?) cruiser for about a year, and I've ridden a lot of hybrids. But ... while Seamus is a cranky old rattletrap, he's got more personality than anything else I've ever ridden--there's a lot of bikes that ride better than he does in some ways, but I love this bike.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:15 AM
Site Admin

Default My commuter ride

Here's my Burley Harlow. I finally took a picture. To celebrate 10,000 miles, I went for some fenders from Woody's in Bend.

I've got a Shimano generator hub, a B&M LED headlight, Continental Gatorskins, a "Crane" bell, Ortlieb panniers, platform pedals with replaceable pins.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 10-04-2008 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Downloaded image... Uploaded to flickr
Old 10-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundshero View Post
platform pedals with replaceable pins.
I just KNEW that there had to be some other commuters on here that have fallen prey to the practicality and utility of bmx-style platform pedals. They work great with waterproof low-hikers in our wet winters. Puddles, here I come.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Site Admin

Default And bike racks...

I eye bikes when I'm in public. I admit it. Sometimes I look at the bike first then the pretty girl on it. I know, it's a sickness.

Anyway, the thing I've just noticed is that although the overwhelming number of real bicycles out there are K-Mart Special mountain bikes with full knobby tires, s**t suspension, and the seat post about a foot too low, there's been a a general change over the summer. These same bikes now often have rear racks.

I find this extremely encouraging. It says to me that, instead of the bike being a toy stuffed behind the lawn mower in the garage, people are starting to look at it as a real tool; they're not just riding it around the block, they're actually riding it to something, and expecting to bring something back.

Anyway, enjoy the nice weather while it lasts, guys...

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 11-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Site Admin

Default cross season steed...

I've had this bike for a while, but there were a few parts outstanding, and I didn't want to post it without all the finishing touches installed. It's my road bike during the summer, and is now getting muddy with me every weekend during this 'cross season.

(more pictures on Flickr)

Frame: Salsa Chili Con Crosso
Fork: Alpha Q carbon fork
Wheels: DT Swiss RR 1.2 with Dura-Ace hubs and Hutchinson Bulldog 34x tires.
Group: Shimano 105; with an FSA carbon compact crank set
Stem & Seat-post: Thompson Masterpiece
Pedals: Crankbrothers Candies
Brakes: Paul; Neo-Retros up front, with Tourings on the back
Bars: Salsa Short-n-Shallows
Saddle: Selle Trans-Am (during cross season) Selle-Anatomica (during road)

She's a beaut! She's light, stiff, and fast. Loves to sprint, and feels like an afterthought during run-ups. There are a lot of these frames every weekend at the Cross-Crusade - so I've been feeling a bit like that girl at prom with the same dress every else has. Doesn't matter though, it's a great bike.

Shout out to Cory, Rik and Clint at 7-corners - who got this bike together for me. Best LBS in town.

--