Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Site Admin

Default Route to NW 23rd St from Hillsdale--Vermont/Bertha area

I imagine it is only a few streets...plenty of downhill...but I am not certain of the quickest/or safest route. A bus option back due to the hasty hills would be helpful to. : )
Old 01-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Site Admin

Default Anyone?

Route? Vermont St. in SW PDX to NW 23rd St?
Old 01-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Site Admin

I'd take Terwilliger downtown to 6th, left on Jefferson, right on 14th. Cross Burnside over into the Pearl, take a left on Johnson up to 23rd.

According to the Metro bike map, all those streets have bike lanes or are designated as low traffic streets. And, you'd have a transit option as well, although there would be a few transfers involved.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuovorecord View Post
I'd take Terwilliger downtown to 6th, left on Jefferson, right on 14th. Cross Burnside over into the Pearl, take a left on Johnson up to 23rd.

According to the Metro bike map, all those streets have bike lanes or are designated as low traffic streets. And, you'd have a transit option as well, although there would be a few transfers involved.
I would second this route. On the return trip though don't curse us going back up big twig hill. Of course you could always stop off at the Chart House for mixed drinks and a tasty bite to eat!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs up routes to NW from SW

good route recs. --- I'd add a little sneaker route/cut through using SW Sunset / Cheltenham / Westwood Dr. over to Terwilliger from Capitol. I think you can avoid some of elevation loss/gain (down Capitol to Terwilliger, then climbing up again) by using this route. see :
http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...=34809&a=70221
scroll down & click on "Portland neighborhood bike maps: Southwest".

Also, you can avoid some of the core of downtown by cutting across the PSU campus on Montgomery, finding the entrance to the Goose Hollow (aka the Ho Chi Minh) trail , which puts you off on 18th - pass under the freeway, around the circle at Jefferson, past PGE Park & into NW Portland. Not a perfect route, but good if you want to avoid most of downtown.