Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Site Admin

Default Taking the fixed gear plunge

I find myself with abundant holiday money ($500) which I'm required to use on something fun. While I'm totally in love with my commuter bike (10+ year old Univega Rover), I think it's time for me to get something faster.

I'm thinking it would be fun to go fixie, mostly because I really want to learn to track stand. I have an idea of what gear ratio to start out with, but I don't know how to go about finding the bike. I have a pesky attraction to Peugeots, but I would be happy with any skinny steel tubed bike. I'm guessing I would want about a 47 cm frame, which makes it even harder to find what I'm looking for.

I've been scouring Craigslist to no avail. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Is it even possible to find what I'm looking for without getting a custom bike (which isn't even feasible with my price range).

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Site Admin

A 47 is going to be hard to find. A Surly Sreamroller frame and fork is available in 49 for about $400.00. An IRO Mark V can be had in 50cm with 700c wheels or 46cm with 650b wheels.... $550.00 for a complete bike. A Raleigh Rush Hour is about $550.00 to $600.00 for a complete bike... 50 cm is the smallest.

Best bet would be to talk to some bike shops. Bike Central would be a good place to start.

Bill
Old 01-09-2007, 07:39 PM
Site Admin

Bill, thanks for the help. I'll start scouring the bike shops and see what happens. I'll keep the IRO Mark V in mind.

It hadn't even crossed my mind to buy a new bike. I was thinking that with my price range I would have to go used. My original thought was to try to find some suitable frame from the 80s and fix it up as I needed to (pun not intended).

I have yet to get fitted. I am guessing I would want a 47 cm frame because that's what my current bike is, and I love it. But I think that 50 cm might be a stretch (what is it with puns tonight?).
Old 01-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Site Admin

If you're looking for a used frame, try City Bikes. They usually have some hanging from the ceiling in the store at 724 Ankeny. I have bought several frames on eBay but you will look at a lot of rejects between the true bargains... then there's shipping. You need to be patient. And keep checking back on Craigslist.

Then there's the thrift stores... you might just get lucky. I, too enjoy fixing up an old frame. I get the bike I want built the way I like it. I doubt if I save any money though . I currently have five rideable bikes (1 fixed, 2 fixed/singlespeed and 2 geared) and none were bought as a complete bike.

Bill
Old 01-10-2007, 06:41 AM
Site Admin

Default used bike

How about Sellwood ? Maybe if you tell them what you are looking for they can let you know if they have one come in the shop. They also post their used bikes on their website. Good luck, there's just nothing like a "new" ( or another) bike.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Site Admin

After looking at the Surly Steamroller more closely, and looking at the specs, I am beginning to like it a lot better and I think it might fit. Though I would still want to get fitted before buying one without test riding it.

vseven, thanks for the tip on Sellwood. I live pretty close to that shop but haven't been in it, and didn't know that they had such a great selection of used bikes, online for my convenience!

I'm wondering if I should stick with something put together by pros this time around. I've pretty much only ridden my Univega mountain bike. I have never ridden a road bike at all, so I think it might take some adjusting to get used to the different geometry.

I'll stop in some of the bike shops and see what they can do as far as fitting, finding, and/or ordering. Thanks for the advice! Keep it coming .

-Sara-
Old 01-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Site Admin

What about the redline 925?

It's 500 dollars (I think), has brakes, fenders and everything all set up. I think you just want to swap out the cog/lockring for a high quality set (this is 30 bucks or so).
Old 01-11-2007, 07:21 PM
Site Admin

Default Surly Steamroller complete bike

I just saw this today on another forum. It's the specs for the new, complete bike from Surly. Some of the local shops should have a price for you. smallest frame is 49cm.

http://www.surlybikes.com/steamroller_comp.html

Bill
Old 01-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Site Admin

endform, thanks for the suggestion. It is quite an attractive bike, but the smallest it seems to run is 52 cm.

What do you guys think of the Milwaukie Bike Co. fixed gear? I would give a link but the website isn't working right now.

Thanks!
Sara

Last edited by thinpaperwings; 01-11-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Site Admin

Default Milwaukie=Gunnar

Milwaukie frames are repainted and rebadged Gunnar Street Dogs. Get the sizing from the Gunnar website. Gunnarbikes.com, or something like that.