Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Site Admin

Default Route advice Marine Drive to Springwater Corridor

Can anyone recommend a safe cross-Gresham/Troutdale route, coming from Marine Drive to the Springwater Corridor? My route normally takes me across from Marine Drive somewhere after 181st, and I can't seem to find a more or less direct route without tricky congestion or blackberry infested bike lanes (and narrow at that).
Old 12-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Site Admin

205 bike path? Not exactly scenic, but it's usually clear and relatively fast.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Site Admin

I'm not sure I'd characterize the I-205 bike path as "more or less direct without tricky congestion". The few times I've done it, I've found that until you get well south of Glisan that crossing the intersections is pretty scary, and the route crosses to the other side of I-205, and it isn't at all well marked.

Try SE 122nd. Not bad on a Sunday, couldn't say how it works out during the week. I don't recall if it has bike lanes or wide outer lanes.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Site Admin

Not sure what direction you're coming from, or exactly what your purpose is, but if you want to get from Marine Drive to the Springwater, going through Troutdale and Gresham, this is what I would do:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=589573

There's a bit of a climb up 257th, but you're going to have to climb up from the river in any event. All of the roads are either side streets or equipped with bike lanes.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Site Admin

Here's a variation of cyclotouriste's route:

Route thru beautiful Gresham

Two summers ago I rode that route twice each weekend as part of a 56 mile training ride for the STP. Like cyclotouriste's this one is all on decent bike paths or quiet back streets. Near the last marker on the west side of Roberts St. you'll find an entrance to Main City Park. Head down the steep hill and on into the park and soon enough you'll encounter the Springwater, though you might have to hunt around a bit at first.
FWIW this connection between Marine Dr. and the Springwater was gleaned from the excellent "Bike There!" map available at many bike shops as well as Metro's website.

Last edited by Easy Rider; 12-22-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:42 AM
Site Admin

Default taking the scenic route

Don't know if Gossamer was looking for a scenic route connexion between Marine & Springwater, but here's what i use to avoid (most of) suburban Gresham. This is not a direct route, but fairly low traffic, rural & scenic. One short fairly wicked climb out of the Sandy River gorge, but otherwise flat.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...rail-connexion