Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Site Admin

Default Nutria

Yesterday morning I saw a huge nutria on the Springwater trail right by the floating garage for the gravel company. Ive also seen them right by OMSI several times. Anyone else seen them? Know any good recipes (kidding)?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Site Admin

I've seen them several times. I almost hit one a few weeks ago. These days, both of my daily trips are in the dark and, despite having a good front light, I didn't even see him until he scrambled off the trail a few inches away from my front wheel. I thought it was a coon at first, but then I got a good look at one in the same spot a few days later.

Back in Mississippi, we had gators to take care of the excess nutria, but here I'm guessing they have no such predators...unless they sit in the middle of the Springwater.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Site Admin

Yeah, I almost hit one too in the same spot. He just scooted across the path right in front of me, and that was in the middle of the day too. Now I slow down around there.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Site Admin

Default Nutria

What is it please ? Sounds like a liquid meal substitute ....
Old 12-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseven View Post
What is it please ? Sounds like a liquid meal substitute ....

It's a large, non native rodent. There was a get rich quick, mail-order scam in the early part of the 20th century where you could raise them for their fur and become a millionaire. When it didn't work out (except for the scammers), the furry critters were turned loose and became feral. They live near water and are good swimmers. In some parts of the South, they have done a lot of damage by burrowing into the flood control levees.

I see them on my rides in the country near Sauvie Island. They mostly hide out in the drainage ditches and try not to be seen by the eagles. In Portland, you can see them in the Columbia Slough, Beggar's Tick natural area, Ramsey Lake... places like that. They would probably make a good substitute in any 'Possum recipe.

Bill

www.nutria.com

Last edited by K'Tesh; 06-09-2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: added link, image...
Old 12-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Site Admin

Wink

Check it, yo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutria

Everything you ever wanted to know, including my favorite fact: "The nipples of female coypu are on her back. This allows their young to feed while the female is in the water."

With the possible exception of their nickname in rural Mississippi and Louisiana, the "Nuchie [noo-chie] rat." Also the nickname of a guy I went to high school with, LOL.

On a more serious note, these things can do substantial damage to ecosystems into which they are introduced. As has been pointed out, and is noted in the Wiki article, they are an introduced species here in Oregon. The Californians eradicated them, and I know most Oregonians see Californians as an invasive species and want to eradicate them, so maybe there's a connection here. I don't know.