Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Site Admin

Lightbulb NE Glisan/39th Traffic Circle

Does anyone here attempt bike travel through this traffic circle regularly on NE Glisan? Any tips on the getting through safely? Thanks!
Old 10-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Planner View Post
Does anyone here attempt bike travel through this traffic circle regularly on NE Glisan? Any tips on the getting through safely? Thanks!

Yeah, I live real close to there. I go through it about twice a day, if not more. Go real fast, (the speed of traffic) and ride in the center where everyone can see you, and make sure to signal your exit. Watch for the busses, they hate you in the circle, yet cars don't seem to mind.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Site Admin

I just go fast as well, it is easier up at 47th though
Old 11-16-2006, 03:16 AM
Site Admin

Default go fast

I ride west bound at around 5PM on glisan. Just watch what is happing before you get there, Try to time it with whatever is coming around. Like stated before use hand signals. This is one of my favorite parts of my cummute. I never stop at this intersection.....and roll through going a easy 20mph or better.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Site Admin

Default take up space

i find most close calls come from allowing traffic to pass you by trying to squeeze the lines. Just take up space in the middle lane, and try to go the speed of traffic, 15-20mph, you might have to blow the stop sign, but TRAFFIC CIRCLES SHOULDNT HAVE STOP SIGNS!!!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Site Admin

Traffic circles don't have stop signs because that's the point of traffic circles: to keep traffic flowing, and stop signs stop the flow of traffic.

Yes, Oregonians on the West side of the Cascades have no friggin' idea how to go around those things. City of Bend has a lot of them, and drivers in Bend don't seem to have any trouble with them.

Here's a clue: YIELD IN, and SIGNAL OUT.

Now, if only we could get that info to the other drivers out there....

And yes, I agree, in a traffic circle, if you're on a bike, take the CENTER of the lane so no one can try to squeeze past. People shouldn't be practicing their F-1 cornering technique there, anyway.

Kt
Old 11-21-2006, 04:18 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetishridr View Post
i find most close calls come from allowing traffic to pass you by trying to squeeze the lines. Just take up space in the middle lane, and try to go the speed of traffic, 15-20mph, you might have to blow the stop sign, but TRAFFIC CIRCLES SHOULDNT HAVE STOP SIGNS!!!!!
Yeah, I lived in Bend Oregon for two years. I still have no idea the design thought of the only traffic circle in Portland. What the hell. Did the engineers not look at any other city or state that had one. I still almost blow through the stop sign when I drive. Which thank god, I don't do very often.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Site Admin

There's a couple of traffic circles over LO way (one's on Stafford at Rosemont, very amusing to watch the traffic around that one!), but people here don't know what to do.

My younger brother used to live in Bend, so he's the one who's coached us about how to do traffic circles.