Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2006, 09:23 AM
Site Admin

Default non dorky bike pants

I have resisted, fought and struggled. I have stuck with my beloved Jeans and carharrts but now I am stuck. I am planning a trip with my bike to Hawaii and need to bike a lot this winter to get ready, and when I go space and weight are going to be key. So is there something moisture controlling, light weight and wind proof that isnít spandex?
Old 11-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Site Admin

Default spandex?

How about wool?

Personally I would recommend you simply quit worrying about what you look like.

Bike clothes are made for a reason. Sounds like you are aware of that but are so busy clinging to your sense of non-conformity (which in Portland, is conformity) that you are afraid to wear what you know you should.

Christ, I have a headache just trying to examine your inner turmoil! It isn't high school anymore sweety. Wear whatever the hell you want...
Old 11-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Site Admin

Default hey kid

why dont you take your condesending shit and stuff it?

I am asking because spandex looks like shit no matter how your built. I dont really feel like having my package on display if i want to stop for a beer along my ride. I like to use my bike to go places, places where maybe there are single women, and i like to look presentable when i get there (being a single guy). Unlike you, I think that showing off the package upon first meeting a woman is tacky. If I am up by myself in the hills i dont care what I look like, but wearing spandex in public is uncivilised.

Just because i want something functional yet not aethsteicly displeasing doesnt mean I have inner turmoil, it just means that i care what i look like when i get to the; grocery store, bar, where ever. and speaking of conformity, i don't want to look like every other road biker in portland in black spandex and a yellow jersey trying to look like lance armstrong.

so unless you have something constructibe to add, why don't you just shut the hell up?

And being snooty and condesending when some asks an honest question is also very portland cliche.

Ok to clarify: where do i get wicking but not fowm fitting (ie package displaying) bike pants?

Last edited by Starkmojo; 11-29-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Site Admin

Default hey joe

ummm....

What about wool?

Ibex makes some super swell pants. Oregon Mountain Community on Sandy carries them. I am not sure how your "package" will represent itself to the ladies in them, though they have some female staff there who might critique your, umm... staff.

Last edited by steelsreal; 11-29-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Site Admin

Starkmojo, I don't know the answer to your question, but couldn't you wear spandex as a layer underneath something less revealing?
Old 11-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtir View Post
Starkmojo, I don't know the answer to your question, but couldn't you wear spandex as a layer underneath something less revealing?

I tried that and I overheated... That was my first thought.

The other problem i have is that I am really tall, so only about 10% of the bike gear out there comes in my size anyway (36" inseam).
Old 11-29-2006, 08:22 PM
Site Admin

What about Spandex, and (non-spandex) shorts over that? Or would that peg the dork-o-meter?
Old 11-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Site Admin

Default turmoil

Not to be picky but your first post started with-

"I have resisted, fought and struggled."

That sounded like turmoil to me. Just wanted you to know that I wasn't trying to make s@#t up.

You are going to have fun biking in Hawaii by the way. You will also not want to be wearing much of anything as it is pretty humid and warm. The big island has some sweet Mtn. biking if you are into that sort of thing.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Site Admin

Yeah, um I don't think your going to need long pants in Hawaii, even this time of year.

However companies do make non forming baggy bicycling shorts and pants. See the link below, non spandex bicycling pant.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1130
Old 11-29-2006, 09:13 PM
Site Admin

Default chicks dig spandex

function or fashion amigo?
wear lycra to ride, have a pair of baggy ( light ) boardshorts to throw on when you stop.
if you think spandex is dorky, what do you think wearing boardshorts and clipless pedals look like?
as for being tall, buy a european chamois, because they are made for actual people, not effing fat americans. an XL will fit a 36" inseam.
stop by Team Sales Cycling in Tualitin. they cary santini clothing which kicks ass and is euro.

rock out with your cock out and down some beahs in the spandex