Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2006, 02:04 PM
Site Admin

Default Bike Headlight ?

Anybody got a rec for a headlight that's bright enough to get me through Forest Park on Leif Erickson at night? Weight not an issue, $$ is, need at least 1.5hrs runtime.
Thanks
Old 11-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Site Admin

I don't have any knowlege of how this light works for off road, but I just bought the Niterider TrailRat and it is great for my commute to and from work. It is 6 volt halogen and has so far held up well under the constant shower that I have been in going to and from work. The strap for the battery seems very secure when strapped to my frame. I guess not cheap at $110 but I can now see on the roads that have no street lights. Run time is a tad over two and half hours.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Site Admin

I can't tell you exactly what you should get, but I can tell you one that you shouldn't bother with. I recently bought and then returned a Light & Motion Solo (not to be confused with the Light & Motion Solo MV). Cost on sale was about $100 with shipping. It just wasn't bright enough for me to spend that much money on. It helped a lot with pedestrians seeing me coming from behind and helped me see the reflectors on parked cars but that's about it.

Here's one site with good headlight comparisons: http://eddys.com/page.cfm?PageID=493

Also be sure to look at the Commute forums on bikeforums.net: http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20
Old 11-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Site Admin

Default cheap lights

i'd try a focused LED beam light, black diamond and petzl make them for headlamps and work really well, just dont expect to ride 20 mph and see really well. cateye makes some led beams as well that i have ridden at night with, but they dont work as well as the 10 watt lights, but those cost a lot. try combining the two LED lights and you'll be set for 50 or 60 bucks.