Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Site Admin

Question What do you do with your helmet...

....when you get off your bike?

I've been hanging it on my backpack but I'm a menace to society with that bad boy flapping around back there. I swear this waitress I know is going to belt me if I whack her with it one more time.

I see people just leaving them with their bikes but between theft and it filling with water (helmet covers are must in the fall/winter) I don't see that as a viable option.

Hailp!!!!

toodles
JW
Old 11-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Site Admin

I use a detachable pannier. When I get where I'm going, the helmet and rain pants go in the pannier along with my backpack or bike bag or whatever I'm carrying in there, then I detach the pannier and carry it with me. It has a shoulder strap so I wind up carrying it like a messenger bag or briefcase, slung over my shoulder.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Site Admin

there are pacs available with a "helmet holder"
Old 11-13-2006, 10:33 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettoo View Post
I use a detachable pannier. When I get where I'm going, the helmet and rain pants go in the pannier along with my backpack or bike bag or whatever I'm carrying in there, then I detach the pannier and carry it with me. It has a shoulder strap so I wind up carrying it like a messenger bag or briefcase, slung over my shoulder.
What kind of panniers do you have? My helmet won't fit in any of the panniers I've had.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:34 PM
Site Admin

Pacs? Backpacks? Ah, crud sticks. I don't wanna buy another back pack!!

But what models are you referring to. Y'know, just in case my luggage fetish (oh how I wish I were joking about that) gets funded.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdoom View Post
What kind of panniers do you have? My helmet won't fit in any of the panniers I've had.
Let's see... they're called Jando Mountaineering. They attach to a rear rack. I like 'em because they expand: you pull the front out to accommodate, say, a grocery bag (which is what I mainly use them for), but if you don't have anything that big they retract. They're made of some kind of mesh. I got 'em in Eugene so can't tell you where to buy them here, but I imagine Bike Gallery or any other good bike shop would have them.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Site Admin

Default Wear it!

Well, I know I look like kind of a dork, but if I'm just shopping or running errands, I'll just leave it on. Otherwise I'll carry it - it's a critical but ultimately fragile piece of equipement, so I don't like to leave it unattended nor do I want it crashing into things while attached to my pack or something.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:26 PM
Site Admin

Default Not that big of a problem?

I never really have a big issue with finding a place to stow the helmet. If I'm going grocery shopping, I either put it in the basket or cart, or I just tuck it under my arm. Likewise, at a coffee shop, it goes on the floor next to my bag.

Most of the time, though, if I'm stopped for a while, I have a pretty big backpack, so I just shove it in the top (my backpack cinches at the top, though, so this is less of a pain than with zipper packs or messenger bags).
Old 11-24-2006, 08:12 AM
Site Admin

Default Helmet?

what helmet?
Old 12-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Site Admin

Default thinking cap

Dueter makes a bunch of kick ass bags that have helmet holders. Also if it isn't raining or I am parking under cover I lock my helmet to my bike.
Word has it stealing a helmet is pretty bad karma.