Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Site Admin

Thumbs down Giant metal dumpster right in the middle of the Springwater...

...just south of the Marquam Bridge. Apparently it has something to do with the work they're doing on the utility pole there. But it has created an extremely hazardous situation: You can't see around it and it leaves only a few feet of trail to use. This is ridiculous.

WTF?!?!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Site Admin

Default dumpster

for the most part the work crew in the area seem pretty respectful and mindful of passing cyclists. perhaps the dumpster was place there as to not sink into the earth and potentially trash the grass and soil?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Site Admin

I'm sure that's why it was put there, but notice that, for the other heavy equipment, they came in and put big boards down so that they did not have to park it on the right-of-way. Why couldn't they have done this for the dumpster as well?

BTW, it's not the crew I'm worried about per se; it's the possibility of trail users not seeing each other and getting simultaneously forced into the little tunnel between the dumpster and the fence without adequate space to safely pass. Do other people see the risk here, or am I just overly concerned?
Old 11-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attornatus_Oregonensis View Post
I'm sure that's why it was put there, but notice that, for the other heavy equipment, they came in and put big boards down so that they did not have to park it on the right-of-way. Why couldn't they have done this for the dumpster as well?

BTW, it's not the crew I'm worried about per se; it's the possibility of trail users not seeing each other and getting simultaneously forced into the little tunnel between the dumpster and the fence without adequate space to safely pass. Do other people see the risk here, or am I just overly concerned?
i agree that it's a bit unsafe for cyclists.

i think that once the dumpster is fully loaded (assuming it becomes fully loaded) it will be quite heavy and therefore picking it up from the trail would be much less of a hassle than, say, maneuvering the truck onto the grass to pick up the dumpster and potentially spinning the tires on the wet grass and mud (spitting out whatever boards they places under the trucks' tires) to get back on the trail.