Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Site Admin

Default traffic ticket advice

I recently got a ticket for running a red light. Normally, I would accept that I broke the law and face the consequences, pay the fine and stop running reds. However, this ticket is for $242! This seems crazy high to me, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice about getting my fine reduced. Should I go to court and plead my (admittedly weak) case? Write in? or is there no hope?
Old 11-05-2006, 10:40 AM
Site Admin

Please not guilty and show up to court and hope the cop doesn't.

If you plead guilty and pay, often the fine is half the bail (just for saving them the trouble of a court trial).

The former is like playing the lottery
Old 11-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Site Admin

Default Just out of curiosity...

Where did you get popped? And did you just blow through the light or do a rolling stop?
Old 11-05-2006, 03:26 PM
Site Admin

Default the situation:

I was riding east across the hawthorne bridge. It was 10 pm on a monday and I stopped completley at the light at Grand (one way) I looked up the block, saw that the next light was red, saw that there was defintely no risk(=no cars anywhere around) and proceded through the intersection. I have no idea where the cop was, but did see two other pull overs within 3 blocks of where I was pulled over...
Old 11-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Site Admin

Unfortunately Chevalier, you don't even have a weak case. In the eyes of the law you're guilty. What you do have are mitigating circumstances. I agree with Simple Nature. Pray the cop doesn't show and it gets tossed. If the cop does show up, admit your guilt, but also include your mitigating circumstances (no traffic, good visabilty etc.). Above all else, be humble and remorseful, or at least appear to be! Good luck!
Old 11-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Site Admin

Default thanks

Well thanks for the advice, I'll cross my fingers and go to court.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Site Admin

Default yes

Yes, just plead not guilty, go to court, the cop must be there, and he doesn't want to be. Before the trial, just approach him and say you'll plead guilty if he'll reduce the fie to the absolute min, which, depending, can be $72. He gets to ride around on his bimmer, you save $. Win/win. kinda.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevalier View Post
I recently got a ticket for running a red light. Normally, I would accept that I broke the law and face the consequences, pay the fine and stop running reds. However, this ticket is for $242! This seems crazy high to me, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice about getting my fine reduced. Should I go to court and plead my (admittedly weak) case? Write in? or is there no hope?
So what happened? Did you get it reduced or did you explain your case to the judge?
Just got my first one for going through yellow... How would you deal with it on day of court?

Thanks,
Old 02-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Site Admin

I'm really not sure how anybody gets it into their head that traffic cops don't show up for court...

That's their bread and O/T butter and it's how some of these traffic cops make upwards of six figs...

Betting that a traffic officer doesn't show up is worse than playing Vegas. It's like giving the dealer your money before she deals the cards.

Now, if you get popped by a patrol cop for something eggregious, maybe, but the dudes who only do traffic (and that's what it sounds like here: travel in packs and appear out of nowhere) will be at their court dates, that's a promise.

_DA
Old 02-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
I'm really not sure how anybody gets it into their head that traffic cops don't show up for court...

That's their bread and O/T butter and it's how some of these traffic cops make upwards of six figs...

Betting that a traffic officer doesn't show up is worse than playing Vegas. It's like giving the dealer your money before she deals the cards.

Now, if you get popped by a patrol cop for something eggregious, maybe, but the dudes who only do traffic (and that's what it sounds like here: travel in packs and appear out of nowhere) will be at their court dates, that's a promise.

_DA
Years ago, when I still had a car, I was on the phone, ran a red light, and totally t-boned a minivan. The cop came and I got a ticket for running a red and a ticket for reckless driving...when I went to my court date, neither the cop nor the people in the van showed up. I got to go home, and it didn't even go on my insurance. PS...I'm not an asshole.