Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Site Admin

Default I-5 to I-205 in Vancouver

I like to include riding from I-205 bridge to the I-5 bridge on the Washington side of the river in some of the loops I do. I have been going along Old Evergreen Way but the road is so bumpy it's becoming a pain. Is there a better east-west road that I could use? I don't know Vancouver very well.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmo View Post
I like to include riding from I-205 bridge to the I-5 bridge on the Washington side of the river in some of the loops I do. I have been going along Old Evergreen Way but the road is so bumpy it's becoming a pain. Is there a better east-west road that I could use? I don't know Vancouver very well.
From the I205 bike path go to Ellsworth Ave, go north to SE French Rd, go west follow along go through Lieser rd, continue west on Middle way, it will take you around and parallel highway 14, on Evergreen. (not old evergreen) you then, follow evergreen to the overpass take that south then follow that down along the road that parallels the highway (don't know the name of road) follow it through the light on fourteen, go under the railroad tracks take your first right and then hit the bike path. It takes you right to I-5, passed "Who Song and Larry's."
Old 10-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Site Admin

Thanks, I'll give it a try this weekend.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmo View Post
The semi-official VBC route is up higher. Ride up Ellsworth to the top of the hill, turn left on SE 10th, right on SE 98th Ave., left on St. Helens, continue straight on MacArthur. When MacArthur bends right, turn left onto Mill Plain, then right on Brandt and left on McLoughlin. Follow McLoughlin down past Clark College into beautiful downtown Vancouver, then left on Columbia St. which will put you at the end of the I-5 bridge.

Along the way, you'll see the "Dan Henry" marks that the VBC puts down for the Ride Around Clark County. Follow them and you'll get as far as Clark College.

(BTW: 10th St. in the other direction turns into McGillivray; which, along with MacArthur and McLoughlin, is why I call this the McRoute.)

In another year or so, you'll be able to avoid downtown and ride through the Vancouver Historic Reserve and over SR-14 on a dedicated pedestrian/cyclist bridge: http://www.confluenceproject.org/pro...ort_vancouver/

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Wills; 10-18-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Site Admin

Thanks again, I'll do the McRoute too, I like variety.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Site Admin

I live in Vancouver just east of I-205.

The McRoute is part of the favorite route when I ride the tandem with my wife to Frenchman Bar (no it's not a Bar that serves beers. It is a park by the Columbia river). My wife dislike the old Evergreen highway for the same reason as you do.

We did what TCR Punk suggested several years back and we didn't like it for several reasons. 1. There are several onramps/off ramps from SR-14 along the Evergreen Blvd. We didn't feel safe. 2. The Evergreen Blvd has no shoulder. The traffic coming off SR-14 may travel in high speed. 3. The Columbia House Blvd is wide with shoulder but normally the traffic is traveling in high speed.

Back then, we were just started riding tandem. But even today, we will avoid this route. This is based on our experience and perception. Your mileage may vary.