Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Site Admin

Thumbs down Rudeness to fellow bikers...What's up Portland!!

I have just moved to Portland, and am commuting to Tigard at O dark thirty. I want to give a shout out to all of the rude bikers who cannot fathom a friendly wave, or other obviously inconvenient gesture of comroderie (sarcasm here).
Common you guys, we all have bright blue or white flashing lights, we all are sweating, and we are all just hangin' on to the bars, hoping we don't get smashed by a sleepy motorist who has not yet had their morning Half-Caf-Venti-whatever the heck. JUST BE NICE DAMMIT!!! You are giving Portland biking a bad name.

Konaguy
Old 10-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Site Admin

Smile welcome and hello!

waving has been covered:
http://www.bikeportland.org/forum/sh...highlight=wave

i agree with the folks who said that they used to wave, but now biking is just so danged commonplace in portland that it would be like waving at every car driver on the road.

we're friendly. we're just a little jaded by our good fortune.

that said, i got the rural-truck-driver wave from a rural truck driver i smiled at on my bike the other day. it was awesome.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jami View Post
waving has been covered:

i agree with the folks who said that they used to wave, but now biking is just so danged commonplace in portland that it would be like waving at every car driver on the road.

we're friendly. we're just a little jaded by our good fortune.

that said, i got the rural-truck-driver wave from a rural truck driver i smiled at on my bike the other day. it was awesome.

In my town, most cyclists either wave or wave back. Away from the highway (yes, we do have other roads out here), most motorists will wave at each other and at bikes.... even if they don't know them. It does no good to wave at livestock. They never wave back. Horses will sometimes run out to the fence to check out your ride, see if you're equipment is street legal, make sure you're not wearing spandex on a fixed gear bike....stuff like that but they refuse to wave.

Bill
Old 10-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Site Admin

I commute four to five days a week right down Beaverton Hillsdale HWY and I can assure you that I would wave back. Sometimes the fourwheel blind-eyes make me so grumpy, as they did tonight, that I just get in my drops and pedal like the devil is on my ass. Tonight I had some dunderhead throw a cup of something at me through his window. I can assure you that I am like a christmas tree when I am riding at night. Two front lights. Two rear lights. A yellow reflective jacket on and a bright orange Kona Jake the snake frame to boot. Sorry to rant. Us folks need to stick together. And yes, waving and being friendly on the road is an important part of why we chose to go with two wheels instead of four. See you on the road and be safe.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Site Admin

Default Be careful

Watch out for how angry you let that get you.

I've been commuting since 1988 (and I don't look that old I might add), and yeah, to some degree it has become commonplace, but there are many times that I'm just thinking about something, I do that a lot on the bike, I'm comfortable there. Or whatever. We're not always on. And if you ride where a ton of people ride, you just can't get worried about keeping up. That's no fun.

And then, there are the times that I try to wave or something and we're just off, I wave, then they look up and I'm looking down. I'm not being rude.

But sometimes you're right, people are rude, and that's because they are already living in their own personal hell. Don't join them there, just keep waving, not cause you have to, but because it makes you happy to connect with other riders out there.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Site Admin

I always do "the nod" and rarely a wave. Maybe others don't notice.

I'm to intraverted to actually say Hi or the like.

~n
Old 10-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Site Admin

On rural roads, I am much more likely to wave. Across four lanes of traffic, I probably won't notice you as I am more concerned with traffic. I try to be nice, but as others say, sometimes I am %100 focused on what I am doing.

I wouldn't take it so personal as I think most cyclists have a common courtesy towards each other, and they are not trying to be "jerks".
Old 10-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Site Admin

I like to wave at fellow cyclists too and I used to get bothered by other cyclists not waving back. But I think Jami is right, cycling is becoming pretty common place around here. Another way of looking at it is that cyclists in Amsterdam don't typically wave to each other, either.

It's nothing personal. We're glad you're here, Konaguy, and welcome to Stumptown. Keep smiling and waving at your two-wheeled brothers and sisters...I'll return the greeting for sure.