Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Site Admin

At the moment, I have a nice, scenic route mapped out to Champoeg State Park (just south of Newberg). With a few scenic detours, it comes out to about 60 miles. They also have Hiker/Biker spots available for only $4.

From there, I've got a nice route planned out along the east bank of the Willamette all of the way to at least Salem, with a lunch stop at Willamette Mission State Park.

I also have a nice route planned from about Albany or Corvallis all of the way to Eugene via Riverside, Peoria, and Coburg.

Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of a problem finding a decent campground anywhere between Salem and Albany, which is where I'll be for my second night. Now, there are a few RV Parks in either city, but I doubt those would be all that pleasant to be camping in with only a tent and bicycle. Those places also tend to be a bit more expensive than I would like to be paying for a piece of suburban asphalt. Through a couple of searches, I've come upon the Oregon Christian Convention Conference Center. Their website says that they have tent sites for $17 a night. Unfortunately, it looks like these may only be available for groups, so I'll be sure to call and ask ahead of time.

Unfortunately, it should also be mentioned that the Buena Vista ferry is closed until April 15th. However, this means that traffic on the east side of the ferry landing would probably be close to non-existent. As such, it might mean that it wouldn't be that hard to stealth camp somewhere near the east side of the river. Distance-wise, it would also be about the perfect spot to camp between Champoeg and Eugene.

As for gear, I think I'm set. I've even made some custom racks just to hold things like my tent and poles. The only gear I'm still thinking about are my only electronics: my camera and lights, which I all run off of rechargeable batteries. In total, a minimum of 4 AAs are needed for the camera, and 2 AAs for the front light. My two tail lights require a total of 4 AAAs between them. I've also got a small charger for all of my batteries. By keeping my lights off during most of the day, I think I would be fine only bringing my four AAAs, also knowing that I essentially have a backup taillight if anything were to happen with one. In addition to my two sets of 4 AAs for my camera and 2 AAs for my bike light, I think I better play it safe and bring at least 4 spares. I should be able to recharge everything in Eugene if needed.

As for food, I too was planning to go the couscous route. It's as easy as boiling water. I would also start with at least a box of Clif Bars, and while those should last me most of the ride, they could easily be found in some of the larger cities. Any other quick and easy recipe ideas?

This would also seem like an easy question to answer, but I've never found one: In absence of a sign post or something similar, what do I do with my bike at night? I wouldn't want this to happen:
http://www.yehudamoon.com/index.php?date=2008-10-27
Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Default Take it to bed with you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr98664 View Post
This would also seem like an easy question to answer, but I've never found one: In absence of a sign post or something similar, what do I do with my bike at night? I wouldn't want this to happen:
http://www.yehudamoon.com/index.php?date=2008-10-27
What? You don't sleep with your ride?

If I were camping by bike (presuming I can carry my CPAP, and plug it in), my bike would find itself inside the tent with me (I have a 6 man tent), or under the vestibule/tarp I carry with me.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Site Admin

This pic came back to mind when reading your post:

Old 03-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Wink That's it! That's EXACTLY what I had in mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
This pic came back to mind when reading your post:

Of course you know that the relationship with the girlfriend didn't last nearly as long as the one with the bike

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 03-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Site Admin

This is the one time I'll use a cable lock. I've got one of those 6 footers that'll tie a bike up to nearly anything, and it can loop through bags and other stuff too for quick dashes inside a store. The hiker/biker sites I've used generally seem to have picnic tables or some such structure good for tying up to.
Also, I generally try to start looking for restaurant meal stops early, and find some place with outdoor seating. Thataway I can cable the bike to something next to where I'll be sitting, or sometimes even wheel it right up next to me. Keeps the separation anxiety away.

Some of the other camp foods I've liked also tend to be of the boiling water variety. Instant refried beans, scooped up with nacho flavor chips, make some darn fine bike fuel. Oatmeal's easy. The instant stuff's fine, but I like to get the stone ground kind and throw in whatever's handy. If you want to do some serious cooking, a small wide mouth thermos will slow-cook all sorts of stuff. I haven't done that on tour, but probably will give it a shot sometime.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
As for food, I too was planning to go the couscous route. It's as easy as boiling water. I would also start with at least a box of Clif Bars, and while those should last me most of the ride, they could easily be found in some of the larger cities. Any other quick and easy recipe ideas?
Found this on on CGOAB, i just tested it out, not to bad, and they keep very well. I'm going to take a couple of batches on my extended tour down the coast and southwest. Losing a job isn't always a bad thing, it allows for things such as bike touring.

Homemade Energy Bar

3 cups of oatmeal
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons molasses
raisins
Almond sliver.

Any combination of dried fruit and nuts will do equally well

Mix well and compress into a greased, rectangular baking pan, or iron skillet and place into a preheated oven for 25 minutes at 375 degrees.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Site Admin

Well, I'm off on my weeklong trip to Eugene and back. The weather on my longest day down there, Monday, is looking to be just about perfect. Thanks for all of your suggestions!
Old 04-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Site Admin

Default Did you make it back?

Quote:
Well, I'm off on my weeklong trip to Eugene and back. The weather on my longest day down there, Monday, is looking to be just about perfect. Thanks for all of your suggestions!
Are you back yet? How'd it go?