Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2006, 07:15 AM
Site Admin

Default cycling lenses

i want to invest in a decent pair, but not sure which kind i should go with.

is there any REAL benefit with having multiple colored lenses? do they really help?

i like the idea of photochromatic ones, especially when riding directly into (and out) of the rising sun in the AM. but do they really darken up and lighten up as much as you need them to and as fast as you need them to?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:53 AM
Site Admin

I thought the same as you, and when my local bike shop had a pair of photochromatic ones on sale, I went to check them out.

Now, granted, I didn't get the expensive ones from Specialized that change to dark in mere seconds, and this is what you will probably find: less expensive photochromatic lenses take up to 15 seconds to change.

I've had mine for a couple of months. I like the gray lenses to darken to dark purple for sunny days, and I love the orange lenses that darken to dark amber for cloudy and rainy days.

I was surprised at how much more I could see with the orangy lenses.

That said, I think someone on one of the other threads suggesting getting amber-lens safety glasses (see Home Depot or Lowes or something like that); much less expensive, and you get the same benefit, although they don't darken.

Anyway, hope that helps! I like mine, but you gotta do the research, and 15 seconds to change seems to work for me. So far.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:41 AM
Site Admin

I bought some cheap ones from En Selle in John's Landing a year or so ago. They have clear, amber, and dark grey lenses. They are awesome and I cant really ride without them now. The lense choices are great- the clear ones for night time or early winter mornings are lovely- not only for rain but to keep the cold wind out of your eyes. Anyhow- I would say theyre worth the investment.