Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Site Admin

Default WESTSIDE COMMUTING

JUST THOUGHT I WOULD ADD TO THE WESTSIDE COMMUTER INFO. I COMMUTE FROM NE PORTLAND TO BEAVERTON NEAR 217. I TAKE KNOTT TO THE BROADWAY BRIDGE, GO UP BROADWAY OVER 405 AND THEN JUMP ON TERWILLIGER. GO UP TERWILLIGER TO HILLSDALE AND DOWN BEAVERTON HILLSDALE HWY. TO MY OFFICE NEAR 217. ITS ABOUT 12 MILES BUT NOT THAT HARD. I DO IT IN 45 MINUTES. BEAVERTON HILLSDALE CAN BE A LITTLE SCARY AND I WAS CUT OFF BY A CAR LAST YEAR, CRASHED ETC. YOU NEED TO RIDE FAST (20 PLUS) ON THE SECTION PAST RALEIGH HILLS WHERE THERE IS NO BIKE LANE BUT I RIDE AGGRESSIVELY, MAKE SURE CARS HAVE TO GO AROUND ME AND I HAVE NO PROBLEM. I RARELY SEE ANY OTHER BIKES ON THIS ROUTE OTHER THAN ON TERWILLIGER AND IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE MORE BIKES AROUND. ITS A LOT EASIER TO GET OVER THE HILL THIS WAY THAN OVER SYLVAN.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Site Admin

Default over the hill

I too work near 217. On Nimbus, south of Hall Blvd to be more precise. I also live east of the river and take the Broadway Bridge to downtown.

However, my home-bound route (I always ride MAX to B-tron TC in the mornings) is Scholls Ferry to Laurelwood then wind through whatever neighboorhood that is north of B-Hills Hwy to the new mixed use path. I actually catch the path right as it ends but there is enough there to take me past the church to Raab Rd/Scholls/Sylvan. From there I get on the Sunset and ride down to the Goose Hollow exit. It is 12 miles door to door and takes me about 60-65 minutes.

I've thought about taking Terwilliger, but B-Hills Hwy always seems so sketch. Especially the uphill direction. Plus I know don't that route as well and figure there is a chance I could get lost or accidentally on a road I really don't want to be on. I may have to take another look-see sometime.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Site Admin

I have rode this route from Beaverton to Macadam. The ride isn't that bad when you get into multnomah county on Beaverton Hillsdale HW. I agree, you need to have a good clip on this route it feels safer.

I'm not sure if you saw my post on my commute on the sunset Bike trail ( http://forums.bikeportland.org/viewtopic.php?t=58 ), but you might want to try this route also. It has the advantage of having minimum traffic to deal with. When you reach the cemetary you can go down canyon rd to Beaverton, or go all the way to the end of the trail and cut-down to Farmington and to your place of work. It might be quieter and will still be around 45 min.

Another route, when you are feeling strong is up to OHSU and down the other side. Bring the energy drink for this one! :)

Hope to see you on your ride.

~n
Old 09-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Site Admin

Default Hewitt rd

I hate riding on Beav-hillsdale hwy so if I am going to bike a hill instead of max, I go up through Washington Park to the zoo and back down to the bikepath.
But on the Bikethere! map it looks possible to go up the other side of the hwy 26 via Montgomery to Hewitt to Canyon ln. Then cross over to the bikepath. Anyone know anything about this route? Going through Washington Park really hurts, would this be any less painful?
Old 09-16-2006, 08:59 PM
Site Admin

The beaverton hillsdale route is pretty good as long as you make it through Beaverton. Hopefully they will fix that sometime soon. There seems to be width , just no marking. Supposedly, there is a shortcut from scholls ferry into the burb's that gets you back to 5th avenue (back by hot shots and the beaverton DEQ; just watch those RR tracks). The terwilliger part of the route makes it well worth it with the scenery
Old 09-17-2006, 08:15 AM
Site Admin

I ride from Beaverton - NE Portland

Scholls Ferry to Patton
Patton to SW Vista
SW Vista across burnside to 23rd

Its a nice ride...you go over the west hills which is pretty tough for a few miles, but once you hit the peak you get a good 2-3miles straight downhill.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Site Admin

On BHH the cutoff that I take is go up Scholls Ferry to Jamisen. Take Jamisen to Pinehurst which is on the left. Pinehurst to the bike trail that will take you to 5th street.BHH running through Beaverton is bad bad. The key I find is to keep your speed up. The real nasty zone is from Kaiser to the New Seasons for those of you familiar with this area.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:00 AM
Site Admin

Default I ride a small stretch of Beaverton Hillsdale

I haven't found it to be that bad but then again I ride in a slow stretch. I live in SW near Gabriel Park, Vermont street, etc. so my commute is a pretty short distance to the top of 217 at the business park across the street from St.Vincents hospital.

On a lazy day I ride up Vermont to Hillsdale and over the hill where it drops down and blends into Barbur on that long sweeping left northbound, then into downtown to Burnside where I can bus over burnside to the Cemetary near skyline.

On an ambitious day I take Vermont to Olsen to that wierd 5 way intersection at BHH where the Dublin pub is, Radio Shack, A donut shop (damn smelly donuts), etc.
Then I rip down Beaverton Hillsdale to the street just east of Target and head north across Canyon and up to Walker (that 100 yards westbound on Walker is the only sketchy part) then I am over the bridge of 217 and taking a right on a street that is a pretty gentle hill to the top of 217. I just have to cross a couple bridges and i'm there.

It's a much easier ride than what most of you are doing but if anyone has to go south from around the 217 area there are residential streets that parrallel down to Canyon and from there it's not so bad since the traffic never gets a chance to really pick up a lot of speed.