Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Site Admin

Default Hummer driver versus cyclist...

A close call a friend related to me you might all find interesting. While my friend was cycling to work, a Hummer pulls out in front of him. My friend slams on his brakes and shouts a warning. Hummer driver then gets out of his vehicle and approaches my friend. Hummer driver is overweight, my friend cycles every day and is in very good shape. Hummer driver tries to hit my friend who strikes back in self defence. Hummer driver staggers back to his vehicle holding his face.
There are many drivers who respect cyclists. There is an unfortunate minority who are the thugs of the road.
A note to these people. You are not your vehicle. Your SUV/Hummer/Truck does not make you tough.
Cyclists, beleive it or not, don't actually want to start fights. If you use a two ton bit of metal to attempt to intimidate someone they might retaliate in self defense. If you threaten someones life what do you expect.
To my fellow cyclists, keep safe this fall and winter.

Last edited by Tbiker; 09-15-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Site Admin

good for them for defending themselves and not being a pushover. the more something like that happens, the more likely someone is to think twice about acting like an asshole.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Site Admin

'Cyclists don t want to start fights'

Give me a break.

Why didn t your friend simply apologize then? That s what a person with no intentions would do. Just cuz the driver was wrong does not give everyone the right to be a jerk back.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Site Admin

Nishiki, if I am confronted, and swung at, I wouldn't consider standing up for myself as 'being a jerk'. We can all be nice and smile and even not overreact when an inattentive driver endangers our lives. I do, and while willing to engage a motorist in a conversation regarding dangerous actions, I do not provoke them. But if I'm being attacked I would surely stand up for myself.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishiki View Post
'Cyclists don t want to start fights'

Give me a break.

Why didn t your friend simply apologize then? That s what a person with no intentions would do. Just cuz the driver was wrong does not give everyone the right to be a jerk back.

My friend didn't apologise because 1) The Hummer driver was in the wrong, 2) The Hummer driver then attempted to physically assault my friend who defended himself. Perhaps your question should be, 'Why did the Hummer driver pull out in front of a cyclist and then attempt to assault him?' Perhaps you should suggest that the Hummer driver should apologize ?

If you think that it is best to apologize to someone as they almost kill you and the attempt to hit you then that is your decision. However, this is not the way for most people who beleive that they are entitled to defend themselves against bullys.

And no, the decision to ride a bicycle has no direct link to wanting to start fights.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock View Post
Nishiki, if I am confronted, and swung at, I wouldn't consider standing up for myself as 'being a jerk'. We can all be nice and smile and even not overreact when an inattentive driver endangers our lives. I do, and while willing to engage a motorist in a conversation regarding dangerous actions, I do not provoke them. But if I'm being attacked I would surely stand up for myself.
Well said Brock.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:14 AM
Site Admin

You guys are so tough
Old 09-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Site Admin

Holy crap, nishiki. Next time someone threatens you, curl up into the fetal position and play dead, I hear it works for some species.

Did you read this thread at all? Do you think that we 'tough guys' go around picking fights with motorists? I've been through enough in life to know that I'm not going to 'apologize' as you sugest if someone threatens me. Stop, read that again - "if someone threatens me." I don't care if you feel so strongly about avoiding conflict that was brought to you. Just don't come around here and drop your snide little remarks to those who will stand up for themselves because you lack a backbone.

Funny thing is, you advocate being so meek on the bike, but talk so tough in an anonymous online forum? Yeah, I've seen it all before.