Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Site Admin

Question Fender rigging

So I bought a set of SKS fenders, given the coming rains, but I am having some trouble installing them.

They are supposed to be bolted on to the front and back forks (forgive me if that is the wrong terminology, I am not well versed in real names). However, my bike has brakes bolted on there. The way the brakes are attached it would be difficult to just bolt the fenders to the brakes.

Have any of you run into this problem before? How did you solve it? I found one website advising jury rigging the fenders with those little plastic ties that you insert the one end through the hole on the other end and pull it tight. Does this sound like an okay method or is the a better, more secure/durable way to do it?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Site Admin

i'm not sure what bike or type of sks fenders you have, but it sounds like you have the wrong fenders for your bike.
if you have a mountain bike SKS make a rear fender which attaches to the vertical post under your seat and for the front the fender goes under the brakes and has a special attachment that pushes up into the single vertical tube of the front of the bike.

What type of bike do you have ?

What fenders did you buy?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Site Admin

Take your bike and the fenders to River City. If those fenders work for your bike, the mechanics there can tell you how. They also sell a little doo-dad called a reach-around that you can use to split/cut your fenders and attach them at the brakes (you have to insert the reach-around between your brake and your frame). "Attach" isn't quite the right word. "Reinforce" is better. Especially since it sounds like you're having issues near the brakes.

That said, for $60, River City'll put the fenders on for you, and they'll do a better job of it than you can. Fender finagling is NOT fun. Let a pro do it. Best money I ever spent.

Last edited by thomschoenborn; 09-19-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Site Admin

yeah, i had REI install my sks fenders, and it is a zillion times more secure than i've ever done.

the master technician said that he had to customize them a little to fit, but they are better than solid now.

to me its worth it, considering any noise coming from my bike drives me crazy.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Site Admin

if your technically / mechanically minded you can attach fenders pretty easy, sure it takes time and tweaking and maybe a bit of modifying, but it's not rocket science. Best advice is to use a little thread lock on all nuts ,bolts screws.
But since there are a lot of people who are not so tech minded I also hear in the pipeline that River City mechanics do some of the best fender install's around.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:36 PM
Site Admin

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the tips everyone. I am somewhat budgetly-limited and somewhat mechanically-minded, so I went with the self-install option, though I did get a good tip from the bike gallery downtown about bolting the fenders in front of instead of behind the brakes (this was necessary because of the way my brakes are attached). I got them on just in time for the rain!